Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

My dislike is how far forward the TM11 is attached in the mount (way too much heavy weight forward given the jolts associated with even casual bike riding)
Check out other videos of this user - he has newer version of his mount that is centered on the center of gravity of the light.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Check out other videos of this user - he has newer version of his mount that is centered on the center of gravity of the light.

Yes, you're right. The improved center of gravity version...

boofy

Newly Enlightened

would love one of these mounts. hopefully one will get mass produced and available to purchase.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't mind buying a 3D printer to make one of these [and many other useful things]; the 3D printers are only about $1.5k.
However, where does he buy the fancy screws from, to make the TM11 bicycle mount?

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened

The reason why I got in to flashlights is caving. Needles to say Nitecore was due to go in cave sooner or later. I took it along a couple of days ago. And this is how it came out:
Nitecore_TM11_9153.jpg

As you can see I've put duct tape over the switch. Not that I don't trust it to be waterproof, but to protect it from fine sand. I learned from past experience is that sand on moving parts is a b***h. I plan to get some transparent tape in near future.

Anyway, the light performed well and I am pleased there's no PWM in low modes. At 8°C it ran on high for long time.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason why I got in to flashlights is caving. Needles to say Nitecore was due to go in cave sooner or later. I took it along a couple of days ago.

Not to imply that I understand what kind of caving environment (degree of difficulty, etc.) you brought the TM11 into...but did you find the TM11 heavy/bulky/awkward to use as a caving light? I imagine the output was fantastic...but what about ergonomics of use? Just curious.

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened

I took it on a caving trip that was light in terms of physical endurance. There wasn't any climbing just squeezes and mud. I found it very easy to take along as I could put it in my oversuit chest pocket where it was easily accessible. The grip and balance are very good and the side switch is a blessing. The output indeed is fantastic and the run time of 4 cells is a plus.
Before Nitecore TM11 my cave illuminator was Sky Ray 818. So far I like the TM11 better in every aspect I just don't know if it can take as much beating as SkyRay and I'm not sure I want to find out.

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

would love one of these mounts. hopefully one will get mass produced and available to purchase.

+1 on that, very cool indeed. Please let me know if these ever become available.

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened

+1 on that, very cool indeed. Please let me know if these ever become available.

In the comments to one of his videos the maker of the mount was offering to manufacture one for someone for about 36euro with shipping - maybe you should try contacting him? :)

I got my TM11 yesterday, amazing light. Im running it on 2 18650 because I only have 2 (I know, I'm not worthy to call myself a flashaholic) but more are on the way ;).
I got it from Gun Safari. Its 1.12-1111 version and like others who got one from the same batch the preinstalled o-ring is slightly too large and can be easily damaged when screwing on the head and anodizing on the threads leaves something to be desired. Thankfully installing the spare o-ring solves the problem. It's the brightest light I own and to be honest it is a little too bright for urban environment ;) but the runtimes on the lower modes make it perfect barbecuing assistant. We often barbecue with friends in a place where there is no electricity and TM11 is capable of lightning it all up for few hours even with just 2 18650. Awesome light.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got it from Gun Safari. Its 1.12-1111 version and like others who got one from the same batch the preinstalled o-ring is slightly too large and can be easily damaged when screwing on the head... Thankfully installing the spare o-ring solves the problem.

Actually, the o-ring issue seems to go back to include the original version. I got a TM11 from the first available batch and I noticed right off the bat that if I wasn't careful with threading the head onto the body I'd sometimes pinch the o-ring to the extent that it would bulge outward. I don't know if all of the manufacturer installed o-rings are that way, but I've seen an occasional comment from other users about the pinching issue starting with the original release.

What I did was to smear a small amount of Super Lube (same as I use on the threads) onto the o-ring and then squeeze the o-ring into place as well as possible with my fingers before threading the head and body together. The Super Lube treatment of the o-ring is something I've done only once. I'm still using the original o-ring without issue (still have my spare as a spare) -- but I do notice that on rare occasions if I thread the head and body together too quickly, it's still possible for me to pinch the o-ring. As a precaution, I consciously slow down just a bit on my last couple of twists of the head and I watch to make sure the o-ring doesn't pinch. Still, smearing the o-ring with Super Lube seemed to help greatly. I figure I'll keep using the original until I'm forced to switch to the spare.

JudasD

Enlightened

Actually, the o-ring issue seems to go back to include the original version. I got a TM11 from the first available batch and I noticed right off the bat that if I wasn't careful with threading the head onto the body I'd sometimes pinch the o-ring to the extent that it would bulge outward. I don't know if all of the manufacturer installed o-rings are that way, but I've seen an occasional comment from other users about the pinching issue starting with the original release.

What I did was to smear a small amount of Super Lube (same as I use on the threads) onto the o-ring and then squeeze the o-ring into place as well as possible with my fingers before threading the head and body together. The Super Lube treatment of the o-ring is something I've done only once. I'm still using the original o-ring without issue (still have my spare as a spare) -- but I do notice that on rare occasions if I thread the head and body together too quickly, it's still possible for me to pinch the o-ring. As a precaution, I consciously slow down just a bit on my last couple of twists of the head and I watch to make sure the o-ring doesn't pinch. Still, smearing the o-ring with Super Lube seemed to help greatly. I figure I'll keep using the original until I'm forced to switch to the spare.

I tried this exact same treatment with my TM11 (also using super lube) and still was not able to get the oring to behave. :( I actually found that if i wiped my finger across the oring it would jump out of its groove. Not good! The only solution i could find was to change the oring. I am curious what happened to these preinstalled orings. I wonder if they were just overstretched during initial install? I've never tried to overstretch an oring so i don't know at what point the damage would become permanent.

JD

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, JD -- it's an odd thing about the o-rings...and seemingly inconsistent from TM11 to TM11. Some seem a little over-stretched, some seem too far gone for a remedy like I used...and maybe some are not affected at all or we'd probably hear everyone commenting about it. In the cases of bad ones, it's good that we have the spare.

Maybe some TM11 assembly-line worker out there feels the o-rings need to be stretched like rubber bands before installing.

JudasD

Enlightened

Maybe some TM11 assembly-line worker out there feels the o-rings need to be stretched like rubber bands before installing.

This is exactly what i was thinking! I envisioned two dudes on the assembly line shooting orings at each other, like rubber bands, then picking them up off the floor and putting them on the lights. :grin2:

dbmet

Newly Enlightened

Great Reviews

Sberri

Newly Enlightened

What would happen if a battery goes bad and pressure starts to build inside the TM11? Is there som sort of pressure relief mecanisme, or will the light be an expensive grenade?

Mar

Newly Enlightened

It's a nice light but after reading good reviews I may just get this similar looking light that isn't over priced, the SKY RAY KING CREE XM-L T6 3-LED 2000-Lumen 3-Mode Flashlight.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

What would happen if a battery goes bad and pressure starts to build inside the TM11? Is there som sort of pressure relief mecanisme, or will the light be an expensive grenade?
I have no reason to think this light would be any more (or less) able to release pressure from a rapid out-gassing event. But as a general rule, it is primary cells in series where this is of greatest concern (due to reverse charging events of mismatched/damaged cells containing elemental lithium). 18650 cells in parallel should be comparatively safe. Note as well that the main risk from Li-ion batteries comes during attempts to charge (i.e., if using damaged or over-discharged cells in a poor quality chager that attempts to charge anyway).

It's a nice light but after reading good reviews I may just get this similar looking light that isn't over priced
Note that that light seems to be something of a rip-off of the TM11 body design. Also note the simple circuit interface (Hi > Lo > strobe). My experience of the "3-mode" and "5-mode" circuits common to many budget site lights is that these generally have very poor regulation and overall performance compared to brand-name lights. I would be wary of plunking down the still substantial sum for one of these lights without a proper review showing output/runtime efficiency and beam pattern/tint, compared to the brand names. And even at that, be aware that these budget lights can change a lot from batch to batch.

Mar

Newly Enlightened

Saying that light is a rip-off of the TM11 is like saying GM copied Ford or this printer copied that printer and so on and so on. A lot of flashlights look similar but still one can pick and choose what catches their fancy. From what I have read about the other light it sounds like a good deal and the beam shots also look good. As for modes on a flashlight, is more better? I'm happy with high and low, don't really have a need for strobe or SOS. If one light is not high or low enough I have another that will do the job but if I can save a few bucks even on a budget light then sweet, I am not made out of gold nor own any.

I have over half a dozen nice lights now, probably more then I really need but I use them all. I need them to locate things, glowing rocks, glowing sticks, fire tacks, tags and so on, sometimes from a great distance, my latest acquisition was the Thrunite TN31, great thrower.

Anyway I am in no rush to order anything at the moment and keeping tabs on the other light which they talk alot about on another forum, so far so good, so we shall see. It is nice though to own very nice flashlights. I appreciate your input also.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Saying that light is a rip-off of the TM11 is like saying GM copied Ford or this printer copied that printer and so on and so on. A lot of flashlights look similar but still one can pick and choose what catches their fancy. From what I have read about the other light it sounds like a good deal and the beam shots also look good. As for modes on a flashlight, is more better? I'm happy with high and low, don't really have a need for strobe or SOS. If one light is not high or low enough I have another that will do the job but if I can save a few bucks even on a budget light then sweet, I am not made out of gold nor own any.

I have over half a dozen nice lights now, probably more then I really need but I use them all. I need them to locate things, glowing rocks, glowing sticks, fire tacks, tags and so on, sometimes from a great distance, my latest acquisition was the Thrunite TN31, great thrower.

Anyway I am in no rush to order anything at the moment and keeping tabs on the other light which they talk alot about on another forum, so far so good, so we shall see. It is nice though to own very nice flashlights. I appreciate your input also.

Not really...in a cosmetic sense, they make it LOOK like the light they want you to compare theirs to.

INSIDE, the lights will be different. Some can look great on the outside, all the cues we associate with sturdy construction are there, etc.

The DX/el cheapo clone lights tend to VASTLY overstate the lumen output...so, you see an ad for a 2k L light from nitecore, and one from skyray saying its 2k L too...and, if you measured the output, the skyray's 2k L might be 750 L, or might be 1500 L, or might be 2500 L, you won't know...they tend to be all over the map.

The circuit might be regulated, or protected, or potted, or, it might SAY it is, but it isn't, and so forth.

To make cost lower, generally, you use cheaper parts...and the cheaper parts can improve performance in some ways, like a direct drive light might be BRIGHTER when you turn it on....but dim as the cells drain, vs a regulated light's constant output....

...so for a short burst, the cheapo can make good numbers....but, like the tortoise and hare...the better light will pass its performance as the direct drive light's beam dims, but the regulated light's out put keeps chugging along at the same pace.

If you just NEED a short burst, sure, that works. If a dimmer out put after a few minutes won't work for you, well, then that's not a good light for the job.

I've tried a lot of lights, and some I consider to be novelties or toys...fun for sure, but others I consider to be tools. The tools are reliable and can be counted on to do he job. The toys are to play with...but not trusted with anything critical.

There's a time and place for either of course...hence my having both...but, the TM11 is more like a tool.

:D

Last edited:

Mar

Newly Enlightened

I understand what you are saying and yes I also have a couple I would consider as toys then have the serious ones I depend on.
The TM11 is on the wish list among others. :)