NiteIze ZipLit: Super tiny, super cool form-factor

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Fellow CPFers,

As some of you know, I am addicted to tiny lights! I continue my search for my "phial of Galadriel"... a tiny light that is on my person at all times (even in the middle of the night, even when in the shower, even while swimming) so that I am never left without light.

There is a bit of a story behind this which I told a while back here, and has to do with our house getting broken into while we were asleep... and I couldn't get the light switch to work as we had shut the lamp off at the base and for about 1 minute stumbled around in the dark listening to my wife and baby scream, not sure where the intruder was...

At any rate, I have been totally delighted and in love with my TiFli and it has not left my neck in a loooong time. But, I have long had this nagging idea that there is something missing. Mostly, I think it is my fantasy to have more of a "pendant" type light. In fact, I made up some sketches as to what I have in mind like these:
Screenshot2010-01-03at84909PM.png

And, while I patient await my Taglight, I know that not even it will scratch this particular itch.

Enter the NiteIze ZipLit... I heard about it from sed6, and received them today. In short, they are very cool and do just what they should, but have a some room for improvement. However, at their low price they are forgivable and I will be buying more for gifts...

So, these are little tiny, dime-sized pendant lights:
IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

To give a sense of scale, here is one in my medium-sized hands:
IMG_3633.jpg

Tiny and so lightweight that it feels like an empty shell of plastic, these are really neat!! What's coolest about them is the fact that unlike a fauxton, the LED itself is en face:
IMG_3630.jpg

It's a little hard to see, but the actual LED is right there on the front. What's really neat is that it ends up giving a soft, floody glow, probably less than 5 lumens total (just a guess--because it is a mule of sorts, it's harder for me to gauge this). I will say that it is enough to get down stairs in pitch blackness, but you have to hold it down close to the stairs in order to see them... pretty dim overall, which is a feature for some!
IMG_3628.jpg

It is water-resistant and comes with 2 extra batts (1 extra for each light supplied in the 2-pack) that are CR 927 3V. The operation is simple: there is a little knob in the back:
IMG_3634.jpg

Tighten to turn on, loosen to turn off. One mode, rock-solid simple.

In practice, I absolutely love the tiny size and super light weight. I am totally smitten by the fact that it has a pendant orientation with the emitter on the front. I love the rock-solid simple operation. And these lights will be on my zippers as NiteIze intended! I think for that purpose (the purpose for which it was designed), it is quite perfect.

However, as my phial of Galadriel, my perfect pendant neck light... this is not it.
Lotr.jpg

Issues:
1. It's just too dim for me to use it as I want and need as a neck light. Though my TiFli is dim, the slightly more focused beam pattern allows me to see things a few feet away. This light suffers a bit like my beloved GLO-TOOB, in that because it is omnidirectional, you get a little bit blinded which makes its low light that much harder to see with...

2. Although I love the operational simplicity, the knob is not aesthetic and, much more importantly, is impossible to operate with 1 hand. I can grasp my TiFli with one hand and give a twist on the chain to turn it on and off--it's great! But not so with this little ZipLit.

3. Speaking of aesthetics... It's sort of chintzy looking, especially compared to the TiFli... the cheap plastic and integrated band really make it something much better suited for a zipper than for neckwear...

4. The tiny batteries seem (though I have not tested!) to be just that... pretty tiny. My sense is that this will not run for very long.

My fantasy neck light would be a bit larger, maybe half-dollar sized, with a rechargeable battery, like the one being used in the Taglight by Sabrewolf. It would also have a power LED to give some oomph when needed. I wait for a clever maker to grant this wish of mine... I would be willing to pay dearly for such a light...

But, for now, my TiFli will hold its place around my neck!
Photo3.jpg

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Looks great! I will have to grab a couple of these. Thanks for the review! :twothumbs

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Nite-Ize also make the slightly larger, slightly brighter (maybe ?) "Flashlit" version which takes 2 x Cr2016 batteries. It is a similar shape (pendant style), with the main body being approx 33mm diameter and 22mm thick (about twice the volume of a std "fauxton").

It has a constant on and a flashing mode too (2-3Hz ?)

These seem to be available from several different vendors for around $4.00

purelite

Enlightened
Funny you should post this thread. I just got one of these little guys myself. Found them in an outdoors store and for $5.00 for two who can resist? I just couldnt resist the way the clear casing glows when its on . I dont think any flashaholic can resist them if presented with the opportunity to try it out. True it is pretty dim and the battery is small, which is probably why they give you spares . My plan is to carry as an emergency backup light not an every day user. I am gonna try to find the batteries at the drugstore, one could be easily slipped into a wallet or some such place. They also come in red which is kinda cool also . It is a fun little light and worth the money for sure!!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review, applevision. Now I must go find these.

Have you considered a Photon Rex for a neck light? Might be a bit large, but it does some things you want.

Geoff

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite-Ize also make the slightly larger, slightly brighter (maybe ?) "Flashlit" version which takes 2 x Cr2016 batteries. It is a similar shape (pendant style), with the main body being approx 33mm diameter and 22mm thick (about twice the volume of a std "fauxton").

It has a constant on and a flashing mode too (2-3Hz ?)

These seem to be available from several different vendors for around $4.00

Thanks, Gregozedobe. I do have some of those SpotLit lights as well:
spot.jpg

The ones I have are white and are superior in a number of ways:
-Brighter
-Slightly larger
-One-handed operation (just compress to turn on and off)

I put these on my luggage so that I always have a light in hotel rooms... it does give off a nice, floody light as well.

But--and not to sound too picky--these speak to me even less, somehow, than the ZipLit. I think they just feel sort of clunky and rubbery... and so seem best suited as a marker as seen here.

I guess what I'd love is for something with the relative elegance of the ZipLit, and with the brightness and operation of the SpotLit... in a more refined package (maybe Ti) and with a rechargeable battery...

Please makers, hear us!

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That TiFli is pretty cool! Never heard of it before til now. How many lumens can that little monster produce?

ama230

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, applevision. Now I must go find these.

Have you considered a Photon Rex for a neck light? Might be a bit large, but it does some things you want.

Geoff

I agree with turtle as the photon rex is the absolute smallest rechargeable light out there. Since its made by photon, its known for their great reputation and ultra simplicity.

For 17 bucks at batteryjunction dot com, you cant find a better light. The new version will recharge off any 3v or less battery and actually lets you know by a blinking rate of the leds. Its glow in the dark and its water resistant. It has a great warranty and not to mention ultra light, I guarantee you wont fell it around your neck.

Its definitely 40+lumens and its DEFINITELY worth a look.

Also, I have been eying these nite ize things since they hit the frys shelves. I have picked them up countless times but this post probably pushed the button to buy it next time im there. I have their spot lit key chain and put a nichia gs in it and love it. Then I have their dog collar(not for me:sssh:) and a couple of their drop ins. Love their simplicity as well.

Good review BTW.:thumbsup:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen these keychain led's that are shaped like a lightbulb? I think it might be up your alley. The one I got isnt useful as a flashlight because it strobes in various colors, but it is actuall quite bright and lights up in a fairly globe like fashion.

I tried finding one in a simple white and could only come up with this:

http://gadget.brando.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00423

a little too pricey I know.

This is the one I have if your curious:

http://www.meritline.com/color-changing-led-bulbshaped-torch---p-33413.aspx

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
And dont forget regulation... :)
Right, indeed!

That TiFli is pretty cool! Never heard of it before til now. How many lumens can that little monster produce?
They are amazing... but maybe 10 or so lumens? It's enough for navigating around the house in pitch dark though.

Have you seen these keychain led's that are shaped like a lightbulb? I think it might be up your alley. The one I got isnt useful as a flashlight because it strobes in various colors, but it is actuall quite bright and lights up in a fairly globe like fashion.
Thanks, sol-leks! Those are cool! I might have to pick one up!

And finally, the Rex does look cool, thanks Flying Turtle and ama230. I haven't gotten one yet but I may need to check it out. It looks nearly perfect in many ways... the only things missing:
-Not quite the "pendant style": by this I mean that when hanging on your neck, the light would come out the front (like the ZipLit) rather than pointing down
-A little plasticky looking compared to a Ti light...
-Maybe the way to recharge it is a little less elegant than I'd like... e.g., check out Sabrewolf's idea here which I love.

I don't mean to be too picky, but I suppose this is what it means to be on a quest!

My fantasy would be that Sabrewolf (or someone talented like him) would take a Rex light and make it into the light I am dreaming about...

But that's it!

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
-Not quite the "pendant style": by this I mean that when hanging on your neck, the light would come out the front rather than pointing down (more like the ZipLit)

The light from the Rex shines straight down when hanging from your neck. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you said.

Geoff

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light from the Rex shines straight down when hanging from your neck. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you said.

Geoff

Right; what I'm after is one that would come out straight ahead when worn on my neck--like the ZipLit. In other words, the emitter would be on the opposite side from the button on the Rex. This would be a very awkward flashlight, but would be a perfect pendant light--it would shine ahead of you (rather than at your feet) when worn.

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
i get it for sure

what ya want is something akin to this:
p10203961.jpg

where the light would beam out of de front part like a headlight but on yer neck

you'd look like some kinda freak but apple, ya probably are a frek, so its no skin off yer back! har har!! (just kiddin)

never give up and never donate blood because they gives it to the commies

-the two thinsg i live by

-Phos4

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Why am I not surprised to see you doing a mini-review of these Apple? :p

I've had a couple for about a month now and I would have to agree with a lot of your analysis. Once winter rolls around and the jackets come out of the closet, I do intend to use these as zipper pulls.

The main reason that got me to get a couple of sets was to surreptitiously place them on my kids clothes so that I can keep tabs on them when we are out and about in the evening. I had initially been using the Spotlits for this purpose, but for different reasons I had to discontinue their use for this purpose (nothing to do with the ability/reliability of the light and more to do with my kids).

They are super useful lights and are definitely worth picking up a few, but are certainly limited in their abilities.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
i get it for sure
never give up and never donate blood because they gives it to the commies

-the two thinsg i live by
-Phos4

Um... right on, Phos4! You've got the idea, and an interesting example as well!

Why am I not surprised to see you doing a mini-review of these Apple? :p

I've had a couple for about a month now and I would have to agree with a lot of your analysis. Once winter rolls around and the jackets come out of the closet, I do intend to use these as zipper pulls.

They are super useful lights and are definitely worth picking up a few, but are certainly limited in their abilities.

Hee hee! Hi, Inci! Great idea for keeping track of the kids! What I love about these is that they are so small and light... these make perfect sense as markers for people and things.

Kindle

Enlightened
i get it for sure

what ya want is something akin to this:
p10203961.jpg

where the light would beam out of de front part like a headlight but on yer neck

you'd look like some kinda freak but apple, ya probably are a frek, so its no skin off yer back! har har!! (just kiddin)

That's not the Phial of Galadriel...that's the Arc Reactor of Tony Stark!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
And dont forget regulation... :)
A titanium ring (think watch body) with integral pendant attachment. Clear Polycarbonate front and black rear. This would allow the internal LiIon coin cell it to be charged inductively. The regulation part would have to be SUPER tiny. Of course there are SOT-23 and SC-70 size buck regulators that run at such high frequencies that the inductor would be very small. The LED could be any one of several surface mount PLCC types.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not the Phial of Galadriel...that's the Arc Reactor of Tony Stark!
Yes!

A titanium ring (think watch body) with integral pendant attachment. Clear Polycarbonate front and black rear. This would allow the internal LiIon coin cell it to be charged inductively. The regulation part would have to be SUPER tiny. Of course there are SOT-23 and SC-70 size buck regulators that run at such high frequencies that the inductor would be very small. The LED could be any one of several surface mount PLCC types.
I am in like Flynn... if someone can make this for me...