Niwalker MM15vn (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) dedome and dome-on review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS+

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dedome tint on my monitor looks almost orange. Is this true?

Anyone know the battery case diameter?

Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The dedome tint on my monitor looks almost orange. Is this true?
Anyone know the battery case diameter?
On my calibrated monitor, the beamshots look quite yellow-green. A bit moreso than I can see in real life, in fact. I certainly wouldn't describe it as orange (i.e., it is not that warm).

Width at the tail is 53.5mm

BSBG

Enlightened
The tint is more yellow/orange than 4000k XML2, but nowhere near 2900k of the high CRI xml2.

Sounds about right to me. I wish I had the dome-on lumens combined with the de domed tint and slight edge in throw ;) Overall though the de domed is a great tint and no slouch in the flood department.

CUL8R

Enlightened
Thank you selfbuilt for the great review. I'm still loving my dome-on version. In fact all 3 of my MT-G2s are a perfect tint for me with domes on. I don't think I'll be confortable with anything warmer. As it is, all 3 of my MT-G2s are far warmer then the majority of my other LEDS. The MM15 is a great light and the MM15vn is an exceptional flooder, especially considering its size! The short duration (approx 1 min) of turbo before getting dangerously hot is not an issue for me. When I'm using the light at full intensity it's for a quick threat assesment and usually right back off again. I very seldom use full power for very long on any light I'm carrying. But having that power available in case of need is great!

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review! :thumbsup:

Wow!!! 7400 lumens on max!!! :eek:

Although I prefer Vinh's throwers, I am amazed with so much output from such a small light!!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can this light be run on L5 until the low battery indicator comes on, or does it overheat?

That depends on the environment, temperature, airflow, whether or not you are holding it, etc. But the short answer is no, you can't run it indefinitely on L5. 2000 lumens is still a lot for a light of this diminutive size.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the temperature based stepdown that does work to switch the light from turbo into L5, does not work if you are on L5 to begin with. The light will overheat on L5 if left unattended.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also the temperature based stepdown that does work to switch the light from turbo into L5, does not work if you are on L5 to begin with. The light will overheat on L5 if left unattended.
Yes, the above is a key point to keep in mind - the thermal step-down feature only applies to Turbo (L6). There is no built in protection on L5, so I agree that sustained running without some form of active cooling and/or monitoring would be a bad idea.

hikingman

Enlightened
What can be done with Level 5 is so much an environmental thing. Inside my house at 66 degrees F it was getting hot in 15-20 minutes once. Outside on a real walk in mid to high 50's air, I had it on Level 5 for an even hour and it hardly got warm. I could have walked until the batteries ran out on Level 5, no doubt about it.

I actually enjoyed carrying the light by the handle with it dangling from one to three fingers. But because I was testing it, I would grab and hold the barrel briefly every 10 minutes. Again, it never got above slightly warm.

Dave

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just skim through the review! Love it! Excellent work as always Selfbuilt! Can't thank you enough!

Miguel_79

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight and your mod make me crazy, incredible performance.

Thanks for your great work.

icic4me

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another great review selfbuilt! I love my TM11; the soda can size is great to carry, but now I think I'll have to get one of these! 7400 lumens...whew!!

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another excellent review. I haven't got a light from Vinh yet but I am getting closer. I really can't justify another light, since I have more than I can carry, but I quit trying to justify several lights ago. I really like the option of dome on or dome off.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Vinh does amazing work, every light he has modified for me was done very professionally. His rates and the quality of work he does is second to none, and he is extremely reasonable... however, I just wish he was more of a tint connoisseur :p

A word of warning to fellow tint snobs, beware of the dedome. It will make your light VERY VERY yellow with a side helping of green (the pics in this thread are pretty close to what it looks like in person).

Just a word of warning, being more "warm" in the context of dedoming means significantly more yellow with touches of green in the tint (more green the lower the lumens).

RCantor

Enlightened
For those trying to decide dome on or dome off just remember that the extra 1200Lm of the dome on are spread across almost 180 degrees. The dedomed version puts more light where you are looking while still giving great peripheral vision. The domes on version would be better for an area light or for photography as the beam is more even across the field of view.