non additive pain relief?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
since geting hit buy the car some days the pain is so damn bad unvearable. they gave me opiods but im very afraid to take them

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id settle just for a few hours of no pain before i take pretty much is heroin .

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im not even joking true story it ran on cnn back then days nad i posted the link

3_gun

Enlightened
Follow the directions on the bottle & from your Dr. Had/took Oxy for a month after hip replacement, no worries no problems.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take what was given, but take a break from it when you can. Having taken Oxycontin and others for pain was such a relief, but I tried to minimize its use. Never did I feel addicted to them, nor was there any 'recreational' high, only the reduction or absence of pain.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One thing to realize here is that severe pain can actually stress your body out and lead to other problems over time perhaps worse that dealing with pain pills for those with chronic pain.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
since geting hit buy the car some days the pain is so damn bad unvearable. they gave me opiods but im very afraid to take them

Ibuprofen (Advil specifically) has helped me GREATLY over the years. It's my drug of choice for such pain. I may die young from having taken so much of it, but I'll have to hurry; that train long since left the station.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ibuprofen (Advil specifically) has helped me GREATLY over the years. It's my drug of choice for such pain. I may die young from having taken so much of it, but I'll have to hurry; that train long since left the station.
I like "arthritis strength" tylenol two at a time. Ibuprofin (motrin and advil) used to be like candy to me in my BMX freestyle days. Now I get heartburn when within 5' of a bottle of that stuff.

Physical therapy solved my issues. Hated my therapist the first few visits but sent them a Christmas card later in the year when the program was complete. Those folks really know their business. The key was keep up the excersises after the last visit.

scout24

Flashaholic
I find Naproxen Sodium works for me. (Alleve, Celebrex in prescription form.) More of an anti-inflammatory, but inflamation was causing my pain issues. Don't discount medical marijuana if available in your state. My brother in law used it during his fight with cancer to good effect.

3_gun

Enlightened
You are not doing yourself any favor by not taking the medication prescribed by your Dr in the manor prescribed.

My 1st Dr didn't give me an effective pain management plan, instead prescribing NSIDS in larger & larger doses (which didn't offer relief) until he nearly destroyed my liver. 99% of the problems people have are self inflected. Follow the directions, take them on time even if you don't think you need it. The drug needs to reach & hold a level to work. Skipping a dose because they are working, then hurting & "catching up" on the skipped dose to get relief is how you get into trouble. I took Oxy for 2 months after surgery & into rehab with no ill effect.
Unless you're a recovered addict & with held that from the doctor you should have no problems taking the medication as prescribed

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Percocet and Oxycodone were also successful with me, but did not like how all of them slowed down the gastrointestinal system, so I found the off and on approach work for me.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Look up "Non-pharmacological pain management". A lot of good stuff there. As a person who reacts horribly to just about every medication I have to learn ways to shut down the pain in my mind, or see if I can attack the source directly. Here's a short list of things to consider.

Inflammation is the cause of a lot of pain, and unfortunately diet is often one big cause of that inflammation. Try to learn how you react to various foods. If a food makes pain worse, just avoid it. Here's a brief list of inflammatory foods. It's by no means inclusive, and some people aren't negatively affected by all the things on the list.

Poppy

Flashaholic
jtr1962,
the list of inflammatory foods, is done very well. BUT, they mistakenly included: eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pickles, as foods that cause inflammation. Not all night shade plants cause inflammation. These do not.