Non-destructive flashlight mod for external battery

bradjackson

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to be able to connect an external battery pack to my MTE flashlight for longer runtimes & a lighter package on my helmet. I didn't like the idea of making irreversible changes like drilling a hole into the body.

This is my solution. Its not quite a finished work yet, but it is useable for now.
I'll let the pictures tell the story.

The light with the tailcap stripped
DSC06983.JPG

The donor cable from an old... actually I don't know where it came from, but I found it in a box "junk" in my garage.
DSC06985.JPG

Some pieces of irrigation pipe which are the same diameter as an 18650 cell.
DSC06986.JPG

I used a a Crayola marker as the "dummy cell" with a screw on the end for the + terminal
DSC06989.JPG

The cable with the + lead fed through the dummy cell
DSC06990.JPG

I sawed a groove into the screw to make a slot to attach the + cable. I crimped the cable in place with a large pair of pliers.
DSC06995.JPG

Then soldered it for good contact
DSC06999.JPG

The + terminal on my dummy cell
DSC06992.JPG

The negative lead coming out the back of the dummy cell
DSC06994.JPG

I made a hole in the body of the pen just big enough to feed the negative lead through from the inside. Then I soldered it to a piece of battery terminal connector which was left over from one of my salvaged laptop batteries. I heated up the plate just enough to start melting the plastic, and then let it cool. There are jagged edges on the plate which allowed the plastic to ooze through and once set, it created a nice firm seating.
DSC06996.JPG

The threaded ring from inside the tailcap gets slid on from the front end and the tailcap screws onto the back creating a snug fit.
DSC07008.JPG

DSC07001.JPG

My battery pack, made up of 4 x 18650 in parallel. They are enclosed in 2 soda bottle preforms which are cable tied together. Then a female DC socket is soldered to the terminals
DSC07003.JPG

The whole lot connected up together
DSC07005.JPG

I haven't added a switch yet, that will come later. For now, you turn it on by screwing it together or plugging it in.

Its possible to return the flashlight to its original configuration just be re-assembling the tailcap.

I would like to find something to replace the tailcap altogether, that way I dont need to disassemble it to use my external battery.
Does anyone know of something which has the same thread and can be screwed on in place of the tailcap?

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
Pretty clever if you ask me:thumbsup:

I have the same light and may one day need more capacity... so I am glad you found a way to do it without damaging the original configuration. Good thinking!:goodjob: