Noob issue with side switches

hakuin

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I have been carrying flashlights at work (LEO) for a looong time. Almost all had tail clicky's. When I have had an issued side switch light at work, I usually ditched it for a tail switch for consistency of UI.

Now that I'm retired, I figured a side switch will be fine for my multi-purpose EDC light...

EXCEPT that on three occasions with 2 different lights (Klarus RT20 and a Jetbeam Ko-01) I have found them trying to burn holes on the pocket of my jacket. The Klarus has a pocket clip I can rotate to physically block unintended contact with the switch, but the Jetbeam doesn't. BTW, I don't wrestle livestock or anything activity wise, so what should I be doing when trying to carry lights of this design; unscrew the tail-cap a turn which makes things very un-handy to use, get a bulky carry pouch?

Is it me, or are other folks experiencing accidental discharges from their torches due to contact with these touchy-devils known as side switches?

Hope it's just my lack of familiarity with these devices rather than the design itself.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a major pet peeve for me too.
Many lights offer a lockout mode though from the switch to avoid the light trying to burn you down.
I will only get one these days that does as I have also been attacked by my lights when they can not be locked off.

I EDC a Zebralight SC52w every minute that I am wearing pants though and it has no lockout feature but I keep it clipped to the top of my right pocket and have never had it turn on against my will while clipped there.
For me this also means a clip that is screwed onto the light is the only clip that will work for me and the ywo features have to go hand in hand.
The upside is that this reduces my choices in lights pretty quickly too!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could add a"hack" to Your side switch: simply put a "ring" over the switch, so it is not that easy that it can be pushed.

Given what material and method of adding it, this could be done up to nearly "invisible" (= as if being original)

when it is possible to remove the rubber switch cover, You can even try to insert a rubber ring under that, extending around the switch and thus making it harder to being pushed.
that it can be totally unseen

Disadvantage: dont add too much to make it to hard to use the switch
;)

hakuin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks fpr the info! IDK if the Klarus switch is going to be conducive to mods, the switch cover is rectangular and slightly raised from the surrounding surface. I will see what it looks like under that cover if possible.

I will also explore the Zebralight line..thanks again!