Noob Recommendation

revance

Newly Enlightened
My father has just started diving and asked me (the family flashaholic) to do some research on dive lights for him.

He is only interested in daytime open water dives in clear water and shallow depths. He basically is only interested in reefs. He simply wants a light so he can see the corals in better light (not just the blue end of the spectrum). I THINK he would want this to be more floody than your typical dive light since it will be clear water looking at things up close. Presuming that is true and getting a tight beam isn't necessary, I think LED would be a good route to go. It also doesn't have to be the same quality as one you trust your life to since its just for his viewing pleasure.

I just haven't seen much in the lower price range that looks decent at all. It all looks like cheap plastic crap. I saw some DX "dive lights" but I get the impression they are just regular *****fire lights with beefed up o-rings, lens, and the clicky replaced with a twist cap. On the other hand, those are appealing to me because I know how easily I can take them apart and upgrade the internals to be good quality and dependable.

I think his budget is probably between $100-200. Brighter is better (obviously). Any suggestions? I am also open to modding an existing light for him.

THANKS!

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an (<$80) XTAR D06 100m Diving CREE XM-L U2 LED Flashlight

50,000 hours lifespan CREE XM-L U2 LED
Max output 820 lumens;
Max Duration: 3Lm/325 hours
SMO reflector, throws beam over 256 meters
Electrodeless magnetic control switch
Constant circuit constant brightness
Power by 1*18650/18700(3.7V) Li-ion battery
Made of anodized aircraft 6061 aluminum
Amphibious 100m deep diving sealed compression resisted design
Safety switch design
2.75~5.0V voltage range
Size: 45.0mm(head dia) * 30.0mm(body dia) * 148.5mm(length)
Net Weight: 201g

revance

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like it has potential. Do you have experience diving with it? I guess my big question about the cheaper lights is how good their water proofing is.

cummings66

Newly Enlightened
A lot of times it's not that great or they don't last long. You might find in the same model one works great and the next doesn't, China's not known for excellent repeatable quality.

That said, I'd suggest he wait until he actually dives those reefs before deciding to buy a light. I've found that I can see the colors and it's plenty bright for me in 100' of Ocean water. I don't take my lights when I go there.