Noob wanting suggestions

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAZMAT = you are dead. Clear enough?!?!?!?!

Oh wait, blue moderator text.

Screw up with HAZMAT and die, don't ask CPF for training. Your organization is a failure if you died.

1DaveN

Enlightened
This thread seems to have gone as far as possible from the original question :)

Anyway, it sounds like those E25s went bad through no fault of their own. I stand by my original contention that they're awesome lights - my E25 is what I bought the day I realized I'm too old to be able to use an incandescent Mini Mag, and it's what got me into quality flashlights. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
HAZMAT = you are dead. Clear enough?!?!?!?!

Oh wait, blue moderator text.

Screw up with HAZMAT and die, don't ask CPF for training. Your organization is a failure if you died.

How am I not dead? I respond to hazmat calls almost daily.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a scary thought: Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Asking life or death questions on CPF gets weirdo responses from some weirdo that used to do this and get a paycheck for this.

Protip: I am not currently dead, might not be a complete idiot.

One of the lights is seized/ We can't unscrew it to get to the batteries or threads. A few had their light switch button bulge out, some just stopped working. Most have been thrown away. Still looking at replacements.

I suggest firing your safety manager and dime-ing your entire outfit to OSHA. Really. :( Call them, might be the only way to shield yourself from the fallout from what's about to happen.

If you do nothing, then people might either die or have their health comprimised.

Last edited:

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
Here's a scary thought: Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Asking life or death questions on CPF gets weirdo responses from some weirdo that used to do this and get a paycheck for this.

Protip: I am not currently dead, might not be a complete idiot.

I suggest firing your safety manager and dime-ing your entire outfit to OSHA. Really. :( Call them, might be the only way to shield yourself from the fallout from what's about to happen.

If you do nothing, then people might either die or have their health comprimised.

I think you just have an overall complete misunderstanding of what you're talking about regarding my occupation and our flashlights. No hard feelings. It's hard to get a full understanding of something based on light chit-chat on the internet.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you just have an overall complete misunderstanding of what you're talking about regarding my occupation and our flashlights. No hard feelings. It's hard to get a full understanding of something based on light chit-chat on the internet.

No sir, HAZMAT is quite simple, screw up and yourself and others die. Not a single thing wrong with an OHSA inspection, aside from added overhead and cost.

Light chitchat? We are now talking life and death. Get your priorities straight.

When I received a paycheck for being a HAZMAT responder (who didn't die,) we threw away flashlights and everything else. Look up how much a beryllium shovel costs, reconfigure your thougts, then please post again.

I await your cogent reponse. People dying from contamination and failed DECON with exposure from a sustained item is no laughing matter.

Try a question. Not trying to be a **** about this, but when you've had people following you around telling you that you're dead, I think this gives the proper perspective.

There are dead bodies over this, else I wouldn't be so picky. I normally joke my butt off, but not right now.

Ask a question, do not make a statement.

It is very like my HAZMAT training. Someone walked up and said "You just killed that guy, here is how." I screwed up. Yes. I was told. Yes. Thank god it was a training exercise. We were wearing class c/scba and standing in a series of disposable kiddie swimming pools, pouring buckets of water over each other. I grabbed the wrong bucket. I was immediately ejected from the exercise for my attitude. Personal feelings will not reverse a dead man, nor will money or "I am so very very sorry." Getting defensive about how you screwed up is a real and valid problem. It is the enemy to "doing it right." I was formally reprimanded and banned from carrying the response pager for a while. It probably saved a life. I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

So you do hazmat, so you say, were you told? Really? I got told an awful lot. I was frequently told "You're dead. Here's how."

I spent 1 and a half weeks at a time with a response pager for this. I was on the hook. I'm not smelling a hazmat responder at this time.

Newbie, you have been told.

Protip: a 55 gallon barrel of phenol is a nasty nasty thing. Ever seen one? Ever seen one spilled? What exactly makes that stuff go off as a nerve agent? Hazmat you say? Ever seen old crystallized Ether? What makes that go off like a bomb? Actual detonation. A crusty old high school chem lab can kill a lot of people.

Hmm.

Post more.

Last edited:

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
No sir, HAZMAT is quite simple, screw up and yourself and others die. Not a single thing wrong with an OHSA inspection, aside from added overhead and cost.

Light chitchat? We are now talking life and death. Get your priorities straight.

When I received a paycheck for being a HAZMAT responder (who didn't die,) we threw away flashlights and everything else. Look up how much a beryllium shovel costs, reconfigure your thougts, then please post again.

I await your cogent reponse. People dying from contamination and failed DECON with exposure from a sustained item is no laughing matter.

Try a question. Not trying to be a **** about this, but when you've had people following you around telling you that you're dead, I think this gives the proper perspective.

There are dead bodies over this, else I wouldn't be so picky.

Ask a question, do not make a statement.

It is very like my HAZMAT training. Someone walked up and said "You just killed that guy, here is how." I screwed up. Yes. I was told. Yes.

So you do hazmat, so you say, were you told? Really?

I spent 1 and a half weeks at a time with a response pager for this. I was on the hook. I'm not smelling a hazmat responder at this time.

Newbie, you have been told.

Protip: a 55 gallon barrel of phenol is a nasty nasty thing. Ever seen one? Ever seen one spilled? What exactly makes that stuff go off as a nerve agent? Hazmat you say?

Hmm.

Post more.

We are routinely inspected by every regulatory agency you can imagine including OSHA.

As far as the flashlight that is stuck, we just want to open it for fun. The potential risk involved from 2 AA batteries isn't very scary to me.

We had so many beryllium tools that we donated many of them, I don't know what you're trying to get at with the cost of them.

I'm about a decade into my hazmat career now and have had plenty of training and real life experience and am considered a subject matter expert for a few specifics in the field.

You seem pretty timid about hazmat, like firefighters are, which is fine. People are naturally timid about things that they don't understand.

I wouldn't want to fight fires and would be pretty scared if I found myself in a fire, so I don't fault firefighters for being scared of hazmat, things are scary when they are not understood. It seems like a very serious and big deal to the inexperienced. Not that it isn't serious business, but like anything else that you do for a while, it becomes the norm.

Sort of like driving. If you don't know what you are doing it can be scary to drive through a curvy mountain road or do 70MPH on the freeway, but after driving for a few years you get the hang of it and all of those things that you were super careful about when you started just become second nature.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the least funny thread on CPF. We are now talking about dead people. :(
We are routinely inspected by every regulatory agency you can imagine including OSHA. As far as the flashlight that is stuck, we just want to open it for fun. The potential risk involved from 2 AA batteries isn't very scary to me.
Big mistake. See also: catalyst. Your program contains failed DECON and you need a shakedown.

We had so many beryllium tools that we donated many of them, I don't know what you're trying to get at with the cost of them.
Go disposable with flashlights like we did. A catalyst can blow off a roof.

I'm about a decade into my hazmat career now and have had plenty of training and real life experience and am considered a subject matter expert for a few specifics in the field.
Low ops tempo. You are lucky so far, sir.

You seem pretty timid about hazmat, like firefighters are, which is fine. People are naturally timid about things that they don't understand.
Correction, I knew enough to know that everyone could die. You lack perspective. Lose the ego, you happen to be wrong.

I wouldn't want to fight fires and would be pretty scared if I found myself in a fire, so I don't fault firefighters for being scared of hazmat, things are scary when they are not understood. It seems like a very serious and big deal to the inexperienced. Not that it isn't serious business, but like anything else that you do for a while, it becomes the norm.
Complacency gets you killed. It gets others killed. I pray that you are not the safety manager for your outfit. People are going to die.

Sort of like driving. If you don't know what you are doing it can be scary to drive through a curvy mountain road or do 70MPH on the freeway, but after driving for a few years you get the hang of it and all of those things that you were super careful about when you started just become second nature.

Ask your safety manager about these flashlights. Ask him to show you where they are on an approved list. Ask him about their approved certification and last inspection. Next, ask him about your failed DECON procedures. Ask him about sustained contamination. Next, ask him about catalysts that can trigger death.

I'm really trying not to be a **** about this, but you've wandered into the least friendly thread on CPF ever. :(

We used to throw away these da*mn things before even a single battery change. TLDR: your shop is doing it wrong, you're just lucky so far.

One of the lights is seized/ We can't unscrew it to get to the batteries or threads. A few had their light switch button bulge out, some just stopped working. Most have been thrown away. Still looking at replacements.

Lose the ego, bro. Ask a question, stop making statements.

If you'd even said the name of your outfit, I'd have reported you to OSHA already myself.

TLDR: Doing it wrong. Try asking a question. Stop making statements.

Last edited:

dirtykoala

Newly Enlightened
K, question time-
Do you expect me to take you seriously when you continue to demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge on this subject?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
K, question time-
Do you expect me to take you seriously when you continue to demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge on this subject?

Troll harder.

As a former safety manager, my job was to show people nasty pictures of horrible injuries of folks in the same career field. I made you sign a piece of paper saying you'd been told to remove all watches, jewelery, and piercings before suiting up. I got really sick of showing people pictures of yet another guy who blew the meat off his finger because his 100% wedding ring wearing was more important than his life.

Enough electricity to blow through CLASS C/SCBA kills you. You are already standing in poison gas. Guy was rescued (this one time.) He was extremely lucky, we had low fatality rates. His lungs were crippled from chlorine gas exposure. He simply wasn't paying attention all those times I showed him pictures of injuries and death. It obviously didn't apply to him, right?

Chlorine gas kills you by drying out the surfactant that coats your lungs, locking them up. It doesn't care if you are man, woman, black, white or alien.

I'm pretty sure that nobody in this thread has any idea what to do to save someone's life who just caught a whiff of chlorine compounds.

Protip: A failed mask seal during strenuous activity caused me to catch a whiff of chlorine. We suited up Class B/filtration when we needed Class C/scba. This simple screwup almost cost me my life. I know for a fact I almost died, do you? Admin did it, we did as ordered.

Respect the chemical, it's going to freaking kill you. It will not forgive you, it does not care. There is no "sorry, a blood agent decided not to kill you because it likes you." It's going to stop oxygen bonding to hemoglobin in your red blood cells because that's what blood agents do. Respect the job, you are screwing up otherwise. Get some perspective, all you need to do is volunteer for your organization as a safety manager. It won't take more than 6 months in this position to fix your head.

There is something wrong with your head and it's going to kill someone, including you.

Zero comprimise. People are going to die. That's why this is the least friendly thread on CPF. I normally get in trouble for joking too much and posting drunk.

Not this time. This is not a drunk posting thread.

Screwups kill people. Shake down your own organization. It needs it. If 100% of the people are not shaking down their own organization, then people die. Simple as that.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think harder, you are about to Darwin yourself. :(

continue to demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge on this subject?

LOL! YOU ARE THE ONE GOING TO DIE! IDIOT! MY WATCH IS OVER! I DON'T DO THIS WORK ANYMORE! YOU WILL KILL YOUR FRIENDS AND COWORKERS!

FREE MAN! FREE! THANK GOD I AM FREE!

If you're telling the truth, you're going to have a bad time. We won't see many more posts from you. :( Your actions affect me in no way, aside from watching a preventable train wreck.

I can laugh. My watch is over, you are going to get exploded. It's your blood, not mine. You have been told. I can get drunk and not have to worry about killing myself and innocent people due to my personal screwup.

Me learning more stuff does not cause knowledge to spring into your brain. My experiences cannot save your butt if you refuse to listen.

One more time: lose the attitude. I was nearly fired once early on for what you're doing right now. Fire is going to burn you, I don't care how many excuses you try to make. Temperature that causes 4th degree burns (deep bone charring) doesn't care about your internet post count. 3rd degree is a wimp in comparison.

I used to have to show people pictures of this crap and make them sign a piece of paper when someone got themselves hurt or dead in my outfit. This is what a HAZMAT safety manager does. Try it. Sign up. Volunteer for safety manager, then learn what you're talking about.

No offense, but you've not seen enough dead and injured people yet. Look harder, get training, fix your head.

A wedding ring touching 400+ volts becomes a very effective transformer. It strips the meat clean off of your finger and I told you so. "I told you so" doesn't fix a married guy who gets a finger amputated. Wife was very not thrilled. Couldn't do anything with just a bone sticking out. It did it straight through a class C glove.

Turns out Class C/SCBA can burn through and doesn't particularly insulate you. Now you're probably dead, nevermind the people you were there to save. Now you are the one that needs saving.

I can hear it now,"Responder is not responding. Repeat, responder is not responding." :( It makes me want to cry. Another guy's getting photographed and shown to everyone. Paper signed for their training records. :(

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on topic:
I guess I am completely new when it comes to flashlights. I do a lot of hunting, but it's on my own small property so I don't usually even carry a flashlight. If I need a light to track a deer, I usually walk to the house and grab some kind of old plastic light. That being said, I like bows and knives etc. and over the years on those forums, I've noticed people posting pics of their gear and more and more they have some type of flashlight.

OP has no need for an intrinsically safe flashlight and doesn't care about HAZMAT. Black and Decker $20 AAx4 LED spotlight, you'll not be dissapointed.

Let's lighten it back up. I prefer nonstop joking. No more about a guy defending his ego rather than fixing failed DECON in a HAZMAT program. Bet those lights are on zero approved lists. Whatever. There is no place for ego in HAZMAT, it causes death.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
more vampires. would you please back off in this thread. Would be good if you do not post in this thread. Almost looks like trolling.

Bill

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do, sir. Unsubbing. Contamination is serious business. I realize that I bit way too hard. You are very correct.

Latest posts