Nuwai Q3 TM-303X Cree XR-E Mod

Ganp

Enlightened
Hi Derek - It seems like your mod' is coming along well. I'm getting good results with a modded McR27LT, but I do not think the beam is as smooth as yours.

Looking forward to seeing some outdoor beamshots if you get the chance. :popcorn:

Colin.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like use the stock Q-3 board...I have some XR-E's that are mounted to the round board/sink, and I use a 17670 cell. This seems like the easiest was for me to do the mod...Just a new spacer ring once final height is determined.

TB

mosport

Enlightened
Haven't forgotten about you Colin, just been running instead of riding lately so hope these backyard beamshots will give a good representation of the spill. Over the weekend I tweaked the focus slightly by tightening the retaining ring to push the heatsink a little lower, right now the top of the XRE ring is level with the stock Q3 reflector lip for a large hotspot with wide flood. Good news is that the small crescent shaped shadow around the corona isn't visible anymore!

The first light is the HDS B42 from the first set of pics on Max brightness, compared against the P2 bin XRE on FLuPIC burst mode.

img1023to2.jpg
img1021ks5.jpg

If the retainer ring is adjusted to raise the XRE up into reflector, it results in a smaller more intense spot with excellent throw but much reduced sidespill and slight donut surrounding the hotspot. Flood is more useful on a bike, so I simply re-focused back by tightening the retainer. This trick only lasts for so long, after being compressed the foam looses it's ability to spring back so I'll try to find an expansion spring that's the right diameter.

Tranquility Base, I'll take apart to add more thermal grease onto the heatsink and will measure the height for you as well.

Another comparison from the park...

img1013lt7.jpg
img1004jc6.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much taller should the heatsink be for the cree star ?Stock 6.6 mm so how much should I add?

Thanks,
Paul

PS Ill be making it tonight!

mosport

Enlightened
Don't have any mounted XRE's, nor could I find a spec sheet for the EGT MCPCB... but here's what will work.

Measure the XRE star thickness and subtract that from the 10.15mm heatsink height, you might have to play with the focus slightly since a thicker o-ring and mineral glass lens combination were used.

Can someone confirm XRE star thickness for us?

HTH,

Derek

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mosport said:
Can someone confirm XRE star thickness for us?

I compared Lux 3 star vrs. XR-E P4 star, and the height to base of the dome on the Luxeon was 0.1mm higher than the same place on the Cree. The Cree star is thinner (kind of like a Lux1, but I didn't take down that measurement), but then the metal ring adds it back up to the same height to base of dome. BUT, the Cree die height is way lower inside. Instead of ~at the base of the dome, it is down in a hole below the base of dome. So it will fit in the same place as a Luxeon III, just won't focus the same without the reflector being opened up around the ring, then dropped down some.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took some measurements with a pin micrometer. I didn't have a LuxIII so I used a Lux5. the Cree star is .060" thick and the Lux is .100". From the bottom of the Cree star to the top of the little square is .095". To hard to measure to the base of the domes but putting a straight edge across both at the bases the level appeared to be even.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nake said:
I took some measurements with a pin micrometer. I didn't have a LuxIII so I used a Lux5. the Cree star is .060" thick and the Lux is .100". From the bottom of the Cree star to the top of the little square is .095". To hard to measure to the base of the domes but putting a straight edge across both at the bases the level appeared to be even.
0.06" = 1.52mm which sounds about what I remember. Lux then = 2.54mm.

I measured the height to base of domes with calipers, 3.7 and 3.8mm if I remember correctly.

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks Nake!

0.060" = 1.52mm that you'll need to subtract from 10.15mm to compensate for the star. Since everything is in focus at 10.15mm emiter style heatsink height, it should remain so after the star is accounted for.

Take extra care centering the XRE within the reflector, you can't always trust the LED to be mountd perfectly on the star.

Good luck!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I figure 9.63mm for the height of the heatsink,then with the star,Ill be at 10.15 and focus should be close.
Where did you come up with 10.15 mm for good focus?Was it trial and error?

Thanks

All parts made,Ill do final measurements and a test fit then solder it togeater!

Last edited: