o-ring vs gasket?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well one current project is heavily modifying a piece of (once top secret ) Soviet millitary equipment.

The rest you really wouldnt believe so best I not mention them in case you realise I am actually crazy.

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened
Well one current project is heavily modifying a piece of (once top secret ) Soviet millitary equipment.

The rest you really wouldnt believe so best I not mention them in case you realise I am actually crazy.

I also how a IDA71 that I stared to convert 6 years ago and stoped for several reasons, but since I received my first lathe last week the project is ready to restart.

The IDA71 is an excelent piece of equipment that will last a couple lifetimes :)

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IDA71 is an excelent piece of equipment that will last a couple lifetimes :)

Thats a rather ominous statement.

Reminds me of the one "There is enough air in this tank to last the rest of my life".

But yes the IDA is a nice piece of equipment even without considering its age.
You can tell no expense was spared building these things. The OPV and ADV DSV etc are very well build and are arguably better than most of what is available on RB's today.

Delphinus

Newly Enlightened
Thats a rather ominous statement.

Reminds me of the one "There is enough air in this tank to last the rest of my life".

But yes the IDA is a nice piece of equipment even without considering its age.
You can tell no expense was spared building these things. The OPV and ADV DSV etc are very well build and are arguably better than most of what is available on RB's today.

No doubt Inconel tanks, mica and the springs in the non return valves, etc.

By the way I read in the rebreathers forum that it's impossible to remove the valves from the tanks, extremely difficult but possible.

To stay on the topic one of my projects it's a light to read the instrumentation during night dives, it will use red leds. :)

Klem

Enlightened
If you don't need access then 2-part expoxy putty is easy to work with and fills space nicely (like Selleys Aqua Knead-it). JB Weld and Devcon are more liquidy and will seep in as they cure but are nice and strong.

If you only need rare access then I use polyeurathane sealants like Sikaflex Marine. it expands as it cures.

If you need occasional access then I use liquid gasket sealant like Silastic (silicone). It doesn't expand as much as polyeurathane but is easier to crack open.

If you need access after diving like the battery recharge port then an O ring is the go.

A good metaphor for your torch is likening it to a submarine. Compared to ships submarines have much shorter lifespans as the container compresses and relaxes with every dive. Compound that is unequal heating expansion throughout due to the high intensity lighting systems we use, plus different materials in contact with each other and this beomes a recipe for wear and tear, and stress cracking.

Bottom line, limit the accessable ports to only that which is necessary.

Klem