• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC

nbp

Flashaholic
The first TinyDC is in the wild! Prelim impressions and some comparison pics with a Tri EDC to come later.

nbp

Flashaholic
^^^ Hahaha. :crackup:

Well I don't want to make this a TinyDC vs Tri EDC showdown, because they are different lights by different makers. But, by Oklumen's admission, it was designed to be similar, and it shares most of the same guts, so the reality is that people will compare them directly. So I will just post a few pics for your visual pleasure, and you can draw your own conclusions, haha. If you have questions, I can help to answer from a customer point of view. Of course, Jeff is super duper helpful and will be very quick to respond to any questions you have for him as well as the maker.

In the first couple of hours of ownership, I would say I am very impressed. This light is very nicely machined and finished, and assembled with care. This one is of course, aluminum, with mineral glass lens, Nichia 219 triple, 10507 optics drilled with trits, copper pill, and a McGizmo clip of my own that I installed, ordering the light only with holes. To be honest, the only other bare aluminum light I remember having was a Tri EDC Knurly, for short time. My experience with bare metal lights is mostly titanium. The body is clean, free of significant machining marks or aberrations, burrs on threads, or other imperfections. The threads are smooth, and the body and head mate up seamlessly. That was something I always loved about Mac's lights, and Jeff has taken it to heart. I can run my nail across the seam and it doesn't catch. Sweet. The knurling is crisp and clean and not too aggressive, which I like. The boot is held in by an o-ring, so it's easy to take apart. Countersunk tail makes for easy thumb access. Crenelations on the bezel edge are a nice touch, but are not so deep to be sharp. Good idea! Copper pill adds some heft, so it feels good in the hand, and seems to move heat very well. No battery rattle at all. Yay! Tailstands rock solid like a McGizmo. Modes are nicely spaced; we'll see if I have them adjusted after some use. I'm glad they are more moderate than the original 3 modes; much more practical for battery life and heat. It's still very bright on high anyways!

Ok, less talk, more pictures!! This is the TinyDC alongside my titanium Tri EDC. Note: These are just iPhone 6 pics, so don't expect DSLR quality. Hah. Note Note: I don't do shelf queens so the Mac is scuffed up, and this one is bound to get that way.

oklumen6_zpsru1gaccn.jpg

oklumen5_zpscdklzxwc.jpg

oklumen3_zpshitnhqwu.jpg

oklumen4_zpsa5mvr2rj.jpg

oklumen1_zpsw1bhvhkk.jpg

oklumen2_zpsmqtfuhsm.jpg

oklumen10_zps0g7hphsj.jpg

oklumen9_zpsrq2uikd2.jpg

oklumen7_zpsbfydkls6.jpg

oklumen8_zpsbs34a9pl.jpg

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NBP-

Thanks for the quick review and pictures!
Looks like a winner!

nbp

Flashaholic
I second this. Also, thanks for taking a risk on a new builder like myself. I'm glad you like it!

You struck me as a good guy who puts his heart into his work. It didn't seem like too much of a risk. [emoji2]

Ordering from Mac.... Now THAT'S a risk! Guys have been waiting like 100x as long for light from him as I waited for this light. Haha.

Ladd

Enlightened
nbp, thanks for the excellent impressions and comparison. The Okluma looks to be a worthy companion to your Mac's, and that a really saying something! This is one to look forward to.

Fir3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics nbp! The McGizmo Clip looks great! Really looking forward for the Ti ones.

okluma

Enlightened
Silly question, but are there any reflectors that fit in this light ?
I don't know of any, but i haven't looked either. The carclo 10507 is ~.240". If you trimmed the contact springs some, you could probably get some additional room.

If you find one you like around that size, let me know.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tritium vial installation in the Carclo looks fantastic.
It is not easy at all, which I know from first hand experience. One of the challenges is that optic is so damn clear it slightly refracts where the legs start on the underside. Such little clearance involved here, which is telling of OKL's skill

okluma

Enlightened
The tritium vial installation in the Carclo looks fantastic.
It is not easy at all, which I know from first hand experience. One of the challenges is that optic is so damn clear it slightly refracts where the legs start on the underside. Such little clearance involved here, which is telling of OKL's skill

Thanks!

I made this little jig to hold the optics. I probably spent a little too long on this, thinking I could just go to X,Y out to a .0005". Sometimes it's like that, most of the time it's not. :)

20102916828_104fa04735.jpg

lefteye219

Enlightened
Great review @nbp and very nice light Jeff... Cannot wait to see more options on metals and the development of possibly a full knurly light... We have a winner right here

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

I made this little jig to hold the optics. I probably spent a little too long on this, thinking I could just go to X,Y out to a .0005". Sometimes it's like that, most of the time it's not. :)

20102916828_104fa04735.jpg

I don't have any practical experience with machining but couldn't you machine a block of Al that has a "flashlight" head that has a threaded optic holder that would perfectly hold & center the optics so the drilling for the tritium vials would be consistent & easy?

I'm thinking along the lines of the threaded lens cover/holder like a incandescent maglite has.

okluma

Enlightened
I don't have any practical experience with machining but couldn't you machine a block of Al that has a "flashlight" head that has a threaded optic holder that would perfectly hold & center the optics so the drilling for the tritium vials would be consistent & easy?

I'm thinking along the lines of the threaded lens cover/holder like a incandescent maglite has.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I need to try making a jig like that. That would probably work better than using the PCB mounts like I'm doing now.

Latest posts