Old Timer Checking back in for a BRIGHT edc flashlight recommendation.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Hello CPF'ers...A long time ago now I used to hang out here...Still have a bunch of lights (Used to be into Maglight modding/ incans mainly) but for an EDC flashlight I used to have surefires/ incan and later moved to LED...

I bought an Overready Boss and it knocked all the other lights out of my pocket.

However, I recently lost it, so short of buying a direct replacement I am checking if there is any other alternatives.

I had my Boss set up simply:
2 x 18350's (Was still running two AW IMR 18630's when I lost it) That was the most powerful/ smallest form factor at the time...happy to go a little bit bigger if needed but like the 18650 body format as it makes it fit in a pocket easier.

Straight to turbo, then step down to lower modes..

I would like to be able to do the same as have on rare occasion needed to go straight to full brightness in an emergency, and happy to step down...
This is the most important factor for me...Turbo easy accessible, As bright as humanly possible in an EDCable size that I can clip in my pocket.

Recommend aways please.

I filled put the list below if it helps.

Very much appreciate suggestions from those have been keeping up/ life kinda got in the way, but glad to be back and in time will sell off a few of my old lights here...I have a bunch of cool stuff from back in the day :)

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Location doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

Not fussed but I guess it will be LED? I'm put of touch...(Was an incan guy.)

6) Manufacturer:

Dont care but I am not a huge modder.

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I would like a light that has a recharging adapter
Would like it to have plug in charging if I can...Not essential over output but would be nice.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

as Bright as possible with opton to go straight to turbo fast!

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

Yes...Dont expect turbo to last forever...but as long as possible.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
_

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

Multiple levels would be nice tho.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Tail switch, and happy with a side switch also...

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.),,,,Straight to turbo option tho...

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Water resistance

IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min) atleast

16) Storage conditions
dont care

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Pocket clip.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Zebralight, either the SC600w IV Plus HI or the SC64c LE.
Only issue is, is that Zebralight do not ship outside the US.
So your options would be to order from Nkon.nl or Flashaholics.co.uk and pay thru the nose or buy from a third party seller like Skylumens (I ordered my SC64c LE from him)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good recommendations so far. I would add, since you are accustomed to the 2 rcr123 factory already the Surefire edctl1 with its gas pedal tail switch might be nice. I have one and it's a stellar edc light if you don't mind running 2 primaries. Keeppower makes some decent 3v rcr123 cells that should work well but 2x3.7v is a problem and a single 16650 underpowers the driver.

An almost limitless selection of 18650 lights these days. I'd look for one with a 519a but I'm a bit of a tint snob…

matchless

Newly Enlightened
take a look at Sofrins IF23-$42.99 with battery.I have one-has two light sources- up to 4000 lumen flashlight and 500 lumen from a flat panel on side of this lightl. Well made ,easy pocket carry, powerful and versatile.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overready still makes a helluva flashlight...

I'd also say that my beloved HDS does everything you're asking for except the " As bright as humanly possible in an EDCable size" part. They don't make tons of lumens, but they do make plenty of usable light in an indestructible package with the best UI on the market. Easy to pick the output you need, even before you turn on the light, plus has that "straight to high" you're looking for.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
@Raoul_Duke How important is durability for your use? It's very high on my priority list for my use in industrial scenarios all day every day. I use an Elzetta Bravo for work, and while it doesn't have modes, it does blast out a very respectable 850 OTF lumens, with excellent CRI and is completely indestructable.

I bored mine to accept 18650s, (can do for you too if you want) which limits your options to On/Off - no modes. Which is technically "straight to high"…. And it never steps down. High is high.

Also I would definitely recommend going for a high CRI light, now that they are more readily available. You can quite literally see more than twice as much for the lumens.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog. Obviously. Either the compact or the full size edition. The 18650 HD is very impressive for its size and slowly declines in lumens. The 2x18650 HD runs for a long time, steady lumens but then suddenly cuts off.

The 18650 HD is pocketable, the other ones are not.
Why carry a 6P when you have the Hound Dog.

Latest posts