Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISONS

Vaughnatic

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Great review

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

Regarding the XP-G R5 version of the M20 my research indicates that you will get somewhat less throw with a possibly smoother beam (I do not as yet have either version of this light).

I agree with you, the throw from R2 lights is (at this size of reflector), higher than the R5 ones. I recently get a JetBeam RRT-2 SMO R5, keep in mind that the original RRT2 R2 throws better than the M20 R2, but my RRT-2 R5 don't catch the range of the old M20 R2 even with the new gen emitter.
See yourself:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3534804#post3534804 POST #98.

:wave:

CatalinaCruiser

Newly Enlightened

I have an M20 and a Surefire 6P. I was using the 6P for most of my needs and I kept the M20 in my bag as a back up. I went to Front Sight last month for an advanced tactics class where we do a night shoot and the M20 flashed once and went off. I've probably had it on for an hour total in the last 5 months. The 6P, I've banged it against concrete, steel, wood, rock, etc. and never had a problem

I tried to contact their support group but they only have an email address. They say this is covered but I can't get anyone to answer my emails. I sent another email but still no response. While I like the output, if it can't take some bumps, then this light is completely useless to me. And I haven't bumped it at all compared to what my 6P has been through. In my mind, if you go down to the ground at night and the torch you're using quits on you, that's not a light you can ever use seriously, no matter how good the output, look and feel, battery life, etc. I'll update if I get a response back and if they fix it.

Anyone else know how to get a response out of OLight?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Failing the obvious (fresh batteries, tighten switch, tighten light engine, etc) the best thing to do is to contact your retailer where you purchased the light for support.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened

Well I dont know if this is the right place for this but it is what it is...

This is a direct message to selfbuilt! I bought this light because of you and I dont regret it one bit!! If your ever near DC..I owe ya!!

First off - I just FOUND my O-Light that I realized was missing a couple of days ago and just found it which made me want to post this up. I purchased the O-Light again because of Selfbuilt's review. Im a LEO and the original purpose of this light was for patrol/general purpose light. It Turned out to be a pleasant WHOLE lot more. I also have a reputatation of breaking everything! My Dept gave me one of the first toughbooks and said, "if anyone will see how rugged this thing really is, its you!"

First...pictures:
IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

Recent events: I was packing to go to a trackday at Summit point raceway and of course I waited till the night before. I soon discovered that the battery was dead. I don't have a garage so I have to truck all my equipment from my shed to the trailer. After a day of painting the house and loading up a racebike, I was exhausted. I must have dropped the light while putting some stuff in my bag. This was Sunday night. If anyone lives in the Maryland/DC area, you would know that it has been raining a lot. On Tuesday, I noticed it was missing but I wrote it off being in one of my bags in the trailer. I didnt have time to look for it since I got in late. I have an Inova light (issued) so I knew I had one light for work. Well, yesterday, my spider senses started tingling and I wanted my light back. SO, the hunt started. Not in the bag! WTF! The house search started..Nothing. Empty out all the cars..nada. COuld I have dropped it outside?! :eek: A methodical search of the surrounding area of the driveway started...and there she is. Completely wet and partially covered in leaves. I grab the light, clean it off and look at. "Well..here goes nothing.." Click and WE HAVE LIGHT!! This thing is da bomb... I took it apart to basically make sure its OK. One of the O-rings broke so it needs to be replaced. Now turning the head doesnt have as much resistance. I need to order a new O-ring..

Back to the review. This light has been with me through everything. I have mounted this to my AR15 and it worked like a champ. I have chased several individuals through brush and no problems. Building/abandoned house searches..outstanding. This thing gets dropped and hit on EVERYTHING..concrete, asphalt, etc.. This light is pretty much a fixture in my backpack and accompanies me on many motorcycle trips. Several times Ive had to drop the light when going hands on with somene and it doesn't even flicker..

Ive always been used to bigger flashlights so the size does not bother me. I prefer tactical style lights by my nature. Bottom line - THIS LIGHT IS SOLID and has my recommendation.

BUT, I might look for another light a little smaller in size but I don't want to loose a lot of throw/lumens. Maybe a HDS?! But I STILL need a light for my patrol rifle..Maybe MAELSTROM? Hound Dog? Think yall can handle me?!?!:devil:lovecpf

xamoel

Newly Enlightened

i've read some bad things about the anodizing quality of the M20/M21, with chipping occuring within a week of careful use.
are the newest versions (R5) still having this subpar anodizing?

HaroldB

Newly Enlightened

My R5 M20 sits next to the computer as I type. I've had it about a year and there's not a "chip" or any mar in it's finish.

I use it at least once a day, so I guess it's finish is "fixed".

xamoel

Newly Enlightened

good to know, thank you!
it'd be a pity if such a high quality light would suffer from inferior anodizing.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

This is a direct message to selfbuilt! I bought this light because of you and I dont regret it one bit!! If your ever near DC..I owe ya!!
Glad you found the review helpful. Thanks for sharing your story.

i've read some bad things about the anodizing quality of the M20/M21, with chipping occuring within a week of careful use.
are the newest versions (R5) still having this subpar anodizing?
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I have tested a good number of Olight lights over the years, plus a number of lights made by Olight for other brand names, and have never noticed any specific issues. I would say they have one of the better anodizings. Of course, black anodizing shows up chips better than anything else, especially on lights with aggressive knurling.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened

well actually i read about it only on CPF, when browsing through several M20/M21 threads...

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just spotted this deal, what to think?

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olights-m20-warrior-olive-green.html

Am I right in thinking that an "R2" LED is a little behind the times? I just wonder why it is such a good deal?!? (For the UK lol)
49.95 GBP=80.1993 USDUnited Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars 1 GBP = 1.60559 USD 1 USD = 0.622823 GBP So, $80.19 USD, but that is without shipping cost. It's good from what I've seen, but...
My M20 with the R2 is still one of my best and most used lights. Even with the XP-G R5 which puts out more lumens, there are only a few lights that have focused that LED so that it throws farther than the XR-E R2, so IMO, it is still not outdated.

aivn

Newly Enlightened

Hello!

Could you tell me if the "strobe" of the old M20 R2 Premium is intense enough? For defensive purposes.
For example I find the strobe of Fenix TK12 sufficient.

Thank you :)

HaroldB

Newly Enlightened

I own both m20 and TK12. I find the Feinx TK12 brighter AND more durable.

The strobe on the TK12 is pretty strong.

aivn

Newly Enlightened

Hello again :)

I wonder if the larger Fenix reflector (the dildo one) would fit m20 too :thinking:

Warp

Enlightened

Hello!

Could you tell me if the "strobe" of the old M20 R2 Premium is intense enough? For defensive purposes.
For example I find the strobe of Fenix TK12 sufficient.

Thank you :)

I wouldn't count on any flashlight strobe being intense enough to defend against anybody for any reason.

Assuming you are not doing so yes, IMO, the M20's strobe is adequate to serve as a distraction while you do what you gotta do

aivn

Newly Enlightened

Just spotted this deal, what to think?

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/olight/olights-m20-warrior-olive-green.html

Am I right in thinking that an "R2" LED is a little behind the times? I just wonder why it is such a good deal?!? (For the UK lol)
I've just bought the set and am surprised to find the beam UGLY: many artifacts and rings -- or more like durty spiral :hairpull:
Compared it to my Fenix PD31, which is almost perfect.

PS: removing the corona doesn't make things better :(
PS2: I like everything else in this flashlight...

torchenthusiast

Newly Enlightened

the review was absolutely fantastic! Can anyone tell me how waterproof the light is? I don't mean the producer specifications, but how it performs for fishing purposes, rain, dropped in a puddle etc
many thanks!

HoggerNaut

Newly Enlightened

Fantastic review, went and bought the M20S.

Loving it!