Olight M23 Javelot (Dedomed XP-L, 1x18650, 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A) Review

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just pulled the trigger on the ET G25C2 MkII XP-L HI. Will have in a couple days and try to post comparison pics

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 XP-G2 and the Olight M23. The initial result after step down of the M23 is that it losses out on throw to the Predator; but the difference is tiny in terms of lux on my units. Time tested at 9 minutes for both lights.

Predator v2.5 XP-G2 33,000 Lux
Olight M23 UT Javelot 32,500 Lux

I suspected it would be close, but not this close.

Thanks a lot for your nice information and your effort.
It's successful. Nobody seem to distinguish the difference to the naked eye, except six million dollar man. :laughing:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing I forgot to mention, if the timed step down is indeed for protecting the light, wouldn't resetting it continuously to max output as you've described defeat that purpose?

I also wonder whether manufacturers sometimes also use step down, be it timed or temperature controlled, to obscure the fact that their lights don't have the circuitry to maintain max output for extended periods. In other words, instead of coming off as having poor regulation or runtimes on max, thermal protection is used as a distraction or an excuse.

Good questions. SCS! There's manufacturer's coner at CPF. If you want to know in detail what you want to know, I think it's better for you to ask one or more of them you directly. There are many famous and good manufacturers.

light36

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review candle lamp !! . I have a M22 but it seems i'll be getting a M23 as well

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the M23 production switching to the factory de-domed XP-L HI emitters? Or will they stay custom de-domed by Olight?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the M23 production switching to the factory de-domed XP-L HI emitters? Or will they stay custom de-domed by Olight?

As I mentioned above in my review, the LED is the dedomed XP-L by Olight in their factory. The dedomed XP-L is fairly clean and perfect on my sample. But I don't know if they will use the XP-L HI for next version in the future.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I asked. I was hearing some talk that Cree was not happy with Olight de-doming emitters themselves maybe. So I wonder if they will just buy HI emitters and these will be some of the only lights that are actually de-domed by an actual light maker.

Thanks! Nice review.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I asked. I was hearing some talk that Cree was not happy with Olight de-doming emitters themselves maybe. So I wonder if they will just buy HI emitters and these will be some of the only lights that are actually de-domed by an actual light maker.

Thanks! Nice review.

Someone told me that he wanted to purchase Cree XP-L HI V4~V5 flux bin LEDS, but couldn't do that, as Cree XP-L higher flux bin LEDS were not come into market about 2 weeks ago. So he changed his mind to do buy Cree XM-L2 highest bin LEDs instead. I assume this is why Olight dedomed XP-L by themselves. This is just my thought.

Thanks for your support.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, any suggestions on how to disassemble this new tail cap design?

You can find the small gaps on both sides of the tailcap. Just insert the tweezers into the gaps and rotate counterclockwise.

740_20150727_170011.jpg

740_20150727_164246.jpg

Raysbeam

Enlightened
Hello again, can you tell me where I can find tweezers long/skinny enough to fit inside the tail cap? I wish I knew how to upload pics to show you how mine came. My rubber switch cover came not sealed and the button sits sideways pressing against the side of the aluminum that allows for tail standing. I sent pics to Olight and they are sending me a new tail cap but if I can fix this one I would like to.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again, can you tell me where I can find tweezers long/skinny enough to fit inside the tail cap? I wish I knew how to upload pics to show you how mine came. My rubber switch cover came not sealed and the button sits sideways pressing against the side of the aluminum that allows for tail standing. I sent pics to Olight and they are sending me a new tail cap but if I can fix this one I would like to.

You can buy stainless steel tweezers through online shopping malls. Don't forget to get the straight one. If you fix the tailcap, please post your feedback. I hope you will replace with new tailcap.

Raysbeam

Enlightened
You can buy stainless steel tweezers through online shopping malls. Don't forget to get the straight one. If you fix the tailcap, please post your feedback. I hope you will replace with new tailcap.

Yes I will be using the new tail cap that Olight sends me. I thought it might be worth fixing this one but now, I don't really see the point. I will report back if I fix it as I have found the tweezers at gear best but haven't purchased them yet. Thank you for your time.

joea1

Newly Enlightened
M23 comes with a nice nylon belt holster with a velcro strap on the head. The light fits in the holster head-down only. The small extra pocket at both sides give a nice space to carry 2x18650 or 4x(R)CR123A's. The holster has a loop allows to carry it in horizontal position for belt.

I've been carrying mine in the included holster, it works well for a belt and allows you to be able to light up the ground at your feet because of the hole in the bottom of the holster.

But as far as carrying it goes, has anybody used any other methods or holsters with this light?

The other day I tucked it in between my belt and pants, bezel up and it stayed there and was less bulky than bezel down in the holster or clipped onto my pocket.

My quest to find pictures of others who have included this light in their kit or loadout are slim because of how new this light is, most of my searches are for the m22 to see how people are doing with these series of lights in the long term.

7tisix

Newly Enlightened

Pet stores carry long tweezers for feeding crickets to lizards and scorpions.

Psychonaut

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions for 18650s for that light?

I read flat-top are fine but I guess both is possible?

What about the Orbtronic IMR 18650 3100 mAh? Or are there better options?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are fine. To get full power use 2 x 18350 IMR cells.