Olight M30 or Jetbeam M1X?

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
I am also interested in the M1X. Better looking light, further throw and a programmable mode, appeal to me.

I have also heard about a 'V4'. Does anyone have any more info or a link?

The last batch of M1X from JETBeam were in "Army Green". The upcoming batch will be in "Dark Gray" again. There won't be too much difference for 'v4' besides color changing.

-Ethan

AndrewP

Newly Enlightened
I am an LEO and the thing about the M30 is its Brightness to size to portability ratio. The M30 permanantly lives on my belt and is not noticeable there. The M30 has more throw than I need in 99% of cases. Lights up a large area with its spill and sits perfectly on my belt. I dont use the extension so the size is nice and small.

Bass

Enlightened
The last batch of M1X from JETBeam were in "Army Green". The upcoming batch will be in "Dark Gray" again. There won't be too much difference for 'v4' besides color changing.

-Ethan

Thanks for the update. I read on another thread that there may be some 'circuit' changes. Are these potentially just 'evolutionary' and not 'revolutionary' - do you have any more info?

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update. I read on another thread that there may be some 'circuit' changes. Are these potentially just 'evolutionary' and not 'revolutionary' - do you have any more info?

+1...I'm kinda waiting for info on this 'v4' before i pull the trigger. If its only the exterior color of the light then I will get the model available now, but if there are other changes I think I would have to wait. :confused:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened

We will check with JETBeam tonight to see what kind of "circuit" changes will be introduced. Last time (just a few days ago) we asked them, they said no major changes except color. We will get back to your once we hear back from them.

Best regards,

Ethan

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an M30 - liked it, never loved it. Only light I've even sold. Got an M1X and it is the 'go to' for throw. Most amazing thing I've ever seen. I like it with the extension and 2 18650s - the 'ring' on the extension makes it easier for me to hold it securely.

You can't go wrong with either one - great case with the M30, but IMHO the anodizing and overall quality of the M1X is slightly better. I'm sure some will debate that - as I said, MHO.

Good luck

:thumbsup:

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
+1...I'm kinda waiting for info on this 'v4' before i pull the trigger. If its only the exterior color of the light then I will get the model available now, but if there are other changes I think I would have to wait. :confused:

Just confirmed with JETBeam and yes, there will be some minor "circuit" changes. Nothing 'revolutionary'. :)

With that said, next batch of M1X are actually around the corner. So maybe waiting a few more days is not a bad idea...

-- Ethan

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
Just confirmed with JETBeam and yes, there will be some minor "circuit" changes. Nothing 'revolutionary'. :)

With that said, next batch of M1X are actually around the corner. So maybe waiting a few more days is not a bad idea...

-- Ethan

Thanks for taking the time and finding out for us! I'm gonna wait it out, once I fond out the new version is available I'll go ahead and purchase it!

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
I also have both lights. I think they are both worth buying if you have the money. They both have the same LED but are very different in performance.

I personally really like the green M1X and am glad that this updated version is only a different color. If they told us that they would be brighter I would be thinking of a way to send this one back and get the updated model.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at the same two lights. Both seems like monsters from everything I have read. Looking to do a little more research before the trigger is pulled.

Is it safe to say this is the most output for less than $150 bucks around right now? Kinda seems like it.

I ruled out the fenix tk40 as I don't like how round it is and also don't like the 8 AA you need.

jahxman

Enlightened
If you want throw and highest total output, get the M1X.

If you want a good medium range floody beam and a more convenient carry size, get the M30.

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the M1X but have the Olight M30 and just got a Fenix TK30. The Fenix is way brighter than the Olight even though it is rated lower in lumins.Spill is near enough to the same but again the Fenix out throws the Olight by quite a bit. I too do not like the PWM flicker of the Olight and have given the M30 to my 12 y/o son:thinking:. The TK30 also works great with just 1x18650 batt, something to consider. Greg.

mustang90

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the M1X in the new'er' gray finish. It should be here in the next day or two. After buying a Jetbeam II with the IBS last year(a single cr123 battery light), I don't see how you could go wrong with the M1X. The programmable option alone is enough to decide.

mementos

Newly Enlightened
Hi !

I have an Olight M30 since a few years and yestarday it accidentally fell off a roof to end up on concrete 10 feet down :shakehead

The flashlight is OK but one of my batteries (AW 18650 2200mAh) is dead ! When I test it I have 0.00 volt.

I'm quiet happy that my light is fine but I would like to know if any of you could tell me if I can do something to be able to use this battery or if I need to recycle it.

Moreover, since you have a better knowledge in this field than me, could you explain me how a battery can be destroyed from this fall ? When I look at it, it's not damaged.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english ;)

lwknight

Enlightened
Those high cap batteries have a very thin and long wound liner.
Its pretty fragile and can tear or short out from impact.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Olights M30, M3X, SR51 and big daddy SR90.

The M30 was my first Olight and it did me years after being disappointed in Led Lenser lights that I still own.

The M30 is a "wall of light" in that it is very floody and not a great thrower but the strobe button on the side is handy.

The M3X is a great thrower and pretty good spill.

The SR 51 is another great thrower at 900 lumens and also has plenty of spill.

Of course the SR90 is a different kettle of fish, all weight, throw, spill and just pure power and around $500!

The M1X is pretty old technology now but was a leader in its day.

Simple solution, it a comes down to whether you want throw or flood mainly.

The M1X is still good as a spiller and cheaper nowdays.

The Olight M30 is a wider beam which I use the battery extender on to use 2 x 18500s.

Personally my favorite all round light is the Olight SR51 (900 lumens OTF).

It has a high at 900 lumens and low at 200 lumens and access to the strobe pretty quickly and comes in a great Aluminium Case with the accesories to keep everything together when travelling.

The SR51 comes with 2 battery carriers 6 x CR123s or 2 x 18650s and uses the CREE XM-L (U2) LED.

I use the 2 18650 option in the SR51.

And also the Olight SR50 uses both battery carriers as well and has an SST50 LED in it.

It too is a great thower and comes in the same type of Aluminium Case that the SR51 uses.

If you like the thinner style rifle mount type flashlight the Olight M3X is still tops and a great thrower with spill IMHO.

The M1X is old technology now and these later lights are heaps better in output, using mostly XML Leds.

The older lights are rated under the older system and both don't do much more than 450 to 500 lumens in real OTF lumens as per the later ANSI standards.

Last edited: