Olight M30 Triton Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi,

From ur graph i notice the runtime for 18650 is longer than 18500. In this instance, why do u and others say 18500 is better for usage with M30? Im quite confused with this part.

Thanks for the advise :)

Runtime is not everything, the light is smaller with 2x18500.

3xRCR123 (16340), 3xCR123, 2x18500:
DSC_4843.jpg

4xCR123, 2x18650:
DSC_4438.jpg

Last edited:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
I originally carried mine in the 18650 configuration (with extension tube), but decided the slighlty shorter runtime was accepatable for the size advantage. I bought a total of 4 x 18500s, so when the 2 in run out I can quickly add the 2 fresh ones. So far this makes a heck of a lot more sense then using 18650s. Its like the old Surefire incandesecnts with about 60 minute runtime, but the beauty is dont chuck the batteries - recharge them and save a ton of money.

Disclaimer...never charge CR123s. I mean only 18500/18650s/RCRs!

TrevorP

Newly Enlightened
Ohhhh so u guys were referring to the convenience factor. Hmmm but the light i bought from my distributor came with 2x18650 Batts and there was no need for the extension tube. Hmmm???

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhh so u guys were referring to the convenience factor. Hmmm but the light i bought from my distributor came with 2x18650 Batts and there was no need for the extension tube. Hmmm???

Two won't fit without the extension tube...

I use mine with the extension tube.
I have no issues with it being a little longer, mainly because that way it doesn't feel so much like my M20

TrevorP

Newly Enlightened
Erm im using Lition rechargeables.. and it fits without the extension tube..

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm mystified at the apparent confusion.

The different battery options are explained quite clearly.

Post #101 from HKJ shows nice, clear pictures of the options both with and without the extension tube.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your definitely confusing 18650 with 18500. As mentioned the 18650 do require extender tube.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Yeah has to be a simple mistake 18650s are bigger than 18500s, but if your're using RCR of CR123s they are not the same as 18650s or 18500s. Point is everything you need to know is post 101 showing the what types of batteries go with what M30 configuration

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Oh and by the way.. I lost power tonight again at my house for about 3 hours it was fantastic two outages in a week gave me some time to mess with my lights. I found the M30 with the added diffuser in medium mode was fantastic reading light. I actaully found a use for that holster clip. I attached it to a chandlier in the kictched and dangled the M30 with a great smooth diffuse light to read in, was perfect

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
... it was fantastic two outages in a week gave me some time to mess with my lights.
LOL - only on CPF. :)
I attached it to a chandlier in the kictched and dangled the M30 with a great smooth diffuse light to read in, was perfect
Actually, that latter part of Edog's post was the part I thought was classic - don't think my wife would approve of it as a permanent addition to any of our chandeliers, though. :laughing:

Thanks for sharing Edog ...

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, its funny how when I posted I did not even realize the ridiculousness of the situation or the comments. :laughing:

Matt, I agree - only on CPF would/could this be possible..fantastic site

Selfbuilt, I also agree - dangling the the M30 off a chandelier is quite a sight, and it really ties the room together, but I dont think its gonna fly with the fam!

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, its funny how when I posted I did not even realize the ridiculousness of the situation or the comments. :laughing:

Matt, I agree - only on CPF would/could this be possible..fantastic site

Selfbuilt, I also agree - dangling the the M30 off a chandelier is quite a sight, and it really ties the room together, but I dont think its gonna fly with the fam!

No worries, we've had a few big thunderstorms lately and I've been wishing the power would go out so I could use mine too... That and so I could test my new UPS out for my PC, with my luck I'll never have an outage again.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've just updated the main review with some additional comments in my discusssion. To wit:

After playing with all my MC-E lights a little more, I have to say the M30 is growing on me. I quite like the smaller form factor in 2x18500/3xCR123A, as it is not that much bigger or bulkier than a standard 2xCR123A. Some of the other MC-E competition can be a bit difficult to carry. And the spacing of the levels is pretty good in actual use, even if their relative runtime performance is less than the competition. I also like the included diffuser. If the PWM on Lo/Med doesn't bother you (and I still personally think that is a big IF), then this is probably one of the better candidates for an everyday duty/carry light in the MC-E class.

I am still not entirely sanguine about the PWM or circuit performance on Lo/Med modes, but I'm finding the overall build size to be more useful for everyday carry. If Olight could improve those two circuit issues (and maybe trim down the size of the tailcap a little further), then this light would earn an unequivocal :thumbsup:. And if they could make the beam as pretty as the ACE-G, they'd get a real :twothumbs.

JKL

Enlightened
The portability is a key factor for me...

dscf4927d.jpg

also for this reason I prefer the M30!
evilgrin07.gif

dscf4933.jpg

jkl/klm
icon14.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts