Olight S15 (XM-L2, 1xAA/2xAA/3xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

zeitnah

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

As AbbyY said, you only access it by a sustained press from Off. Does your light not do this?

No, it doesn't. There seems to be no way to get moonlight mode working on mine. Not very happy about that because I thought that being able to get to moonlight directly from off was a rather nice feature. Also the light doesn't go to moonlight after beeing unlocked (Figure3, c. in the user manual). I'm using almost new Eneloops and Sanyo 2700, could there be something wrong with these ( both work well in all my other lights)?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No, it doesn't. There seems to be no way to get moonlight mode working on mine. Not very happy about that because I thought that being able to get to moonlight directly from off was a rather nice feature. Also the light doesn't go to moonlight after beeing unlocked (Figure3, c. in the user manual). I'm using almost new Eneloops and Sanyo 2700, could there be something wrong with these ( both work well in all my other lights)?
Hmmmm, it shouldn't be a battery issue - although you could always try a regular alkaline to confirm.

If that doesn't work, I would contact Olight for clarification.

zeitnah

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm, it shouldn't be a battery issue - although you could always try a regular alkaline to confirm.

If that doesn't work, I would contact Olight for clarification.

Just checked with an alkaline. All modes work......except moonlight :(. I'll get in touch with Olight, Thanks for the advice!

sjl777

Newly Enlightened
I noticed on my S15 that there is some glow in the dark paint or o ring inside the bezel. I have definite a green GITD ring which appear to be between the red o-ring and the lens. I only noticed this last night when I had the light in moon light mode. When it is turned off the ring will glow but not very bright. Any one else have this feature?

LlF

Newly Enlightened
i think i had the same problem. this was after a long period on high. the emitter was still slightly red. and there was these glowing dots around the red ring. it would fade away much faster than a purposely installed h502 for example.
also, i was not able to reproduce it later. it kind of just happened only on that night.
QmeUvOLl.jpg

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened
Just bought my Olight S15 as my EDC and travel flashlight, but only after many hours study of Selfbuilt's magnificent reviews-Many thanks + donation thanks again. I have taken the super magnet out, after it stopped my Seiko watch on overnight bedside table on holidays. I carry S15 in my pocket as well and figured it would not be a good companion to my magnetic data strip Credit Cards!!!
I love the 2xAA Sony 2700 performance, but for me the best is the single Olight 14500 for performance and sheer small EDC pocket size. Moonlight mode is great for not waking my wife during my nighttime "excursions" for pain meds & stretching exercises- getting older but still having fun with my flashlight hobby. Starting to get quite expensive thanks to all the Candlelight family including Selfbuilt, HKJ & so many others. Thankyou!!

zingers

Newly Enlightened
Thank you selfbuilt. But I have to give my own little review of this flashlight. I search for the ultimate EDC in AA because I 1/2 use 8-24 AA batteries on 1 photoshoot with no getting around it. And I use a flashlight every day, not just carry it. I bought and broke 3 Itp's. The fact that they broke made me switch brands. Bought a Trustfire, lasted a year (little guy drooled on it for awhile and caused a short somewhere). Just gave away my Eagletac D25A, found it too hard to turn on quickly because the button was surrounded by metal and my finger wouldn't fit in the button recess. Ordered the Xeno tiger E03 V3, now sitting on my desk as I decide what to do with it because the modes are too fiddly and the button is again slightly to small to get my finger in quickly. Durring this time, I have had the S15 and used it off and on. I love the modes, I love the interface, love the size. But, and here is a big but- I have gone through more batteries with this light than I thought possible. When its in your pocket, even in the lockout mode, it can, and WILL turn on. I have pulled it out of my pocket so many times and the battery was dead, that I decided to get a new light, hence the others listed above. This light has what I consider to be the best interface of all the others I have carried. You have access to moonlight and strobe as soon as you pick it up, high takes a second. I carry it now with the base slightly screwed off, which makes it very awkward to use, but at least it comes on when I take it out of my pocket. I'm waiting for my SRT3 and Zebra H52 to see how they fare. As you can see, for my EDC, brightness isn't parramount, but light, size and handling are. I have 2 surefires and other RCR123's that I use also, so my comments are relevent to AA EDC lights only. Thanks for reading.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
But, and here is a big but- I have gone through more batteries with this light than I thought possible. When its in your pocket, even in the lockout mode, it can, and WILL turn on.
Yes, this is a common issue for all lights that use a side-mounted electronic switch (the ZL SC52 is another one that comes to mind, although that switch is a bit better than this one). Frankly, there is no real good solution for this problem, other than locking out the light when not in use. :shrug:

Oh, and :welcome: (see you've been here awhile, but this was your first post).

TweakMDS

Enlightened
No real solution maybe, but an overheat protection would be nice, if it's not already there, just to ensure your pocket is not actually catching fire ^^

by the way... Could someone elaborate on the difference between the Ti and regular s15? I planned on getting a bead blasted one, but didn't realize they had a different driver / UI. Might not matter if I run it on 14500 but I'm still curious now...

kj2

Flashaholic
No real solution maybe, but an overheat protection would be nice, if it's not already there, just to ensure your pocket is not actually catching fire ^^

by the way... Could someone elaborate on the difference between the Ti and regular s15? I planned on getting a bead blasted one, but didn't realize they had a different driver / UI. Might not matter if I run it on 14500 but I'm still curious now...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JT9q-vTMuVs

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened
Hi TweakMDS!

I have both versions and I noticed that using a single alkaline, or NiMH, or a primary Li-ion, Ti sample has only 2 main modes (plus moonlight) - low and something between medium and high. But using one 14500, Ti version has all three main levels, like regular version.

Also, using two Ni-MH or primary Li-ion (extending tube), Ti sample has all three main modes, like the regular one.

Other difference between Ti and regular is the tint. While regular has a cool white tint, Ti version claims to be a neutral one but for my eyes is not a real neutral tint being a little bit yellowish.

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Thanks for clarifying AbbyY

Since this review already stated that the S15 was less efficient on single NiMH, perhaps they went a safer route and drive it differently. It doesn't sound like a major issue to me though, since I run most of my AA lights that are able on 14500 as long as they don't just direct drive it.
Bead blasted titanium is still looking good, especially in neutral white!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Selfbuilt for all the effort of testing S15! :thumbsup:

I am seriously interested it this light. Small sized and several possibilities with different (number of) batteries and modes!

Hi again!

Today it's one year after you published your review, and my first post in this thread, and I can tell that I finally got S15. I included 2x extended body tubes.
S15 is a nice little light and I like the wide hotspot. The tint of my sample has a pretty warm feeling, and compared to some other cool white lights it looks greenish. Still I don't perceive it nasty. The mode spacing is good. The deep clip ensures that the light is held firmly in a pocket. The tailstandability could be better, however; unfortunately the mid section of the tail protrudes very slightly and makes it wobbly.

Anyway; after two days I get the feeling that S15 is a keeper. The possibility of varying use it as a 1AA, 2AA or 3AA light is great. The more lights the more fun and with S15 I have 3 lights in one. :)

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
I just received a new S15 and its a great EDC light. The first thing i did was mod it with a Nichia 219B on a Noctigon to make it a great tint and eliminate the green tint syndrome the Baton series of Olights are known for.

S15Nichia_zps2a4ac241.jpg

Tapis

Enlightened
I just received a new S15 and its a great EDC light. The first thing i did was mod it with a Nichia 219B on a Noctigon...
Congratulations! Looks great. Could you please explain for newbies like myself what the steps are to have this light modded? I'm planning to buy it as well. Thanks.

EDIT: Is this the S15R or a new version of S15 I'm unaware of?

Last edited:

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
Congratulations! Looks great. Could you please explain for newbies like myself what the steps are to have this light modded? I'm planning to buy it as well. Thanks.

EDIT: Is this the S15R or a new version of S15 I'm unaware of?

I removed the outer bezel ring, ( threaded on) then pushed the pill with the reflector out from the back using a gluestick (to not damage the driver) then un-threaded the reflector, then unsoldered the original star with the XM-L2 emiter. I then filed the sides of a 16mm Noctigon containing a Nichia 219B emitter so it would fit in the pill, then placed in in and soldered the leads back in place with some thermal paste under the star. ( red lead to + and black lead to -)
I then clipped the plastic "posts" of the original centering plastic plate and centered it on the star over the emitter, then carefully re-threaded the reflector back in place making sure the emitter remained as centered as possible, then the lens and bezel ring.

*The S15R is the built-in rechargeable version that comes with a charging base and different tail cap with contacts.) I would recommend the standard S15 Baton that can use 14500s, 1 AA or 2 AA Alkaline or NMiH cells with the extension tube.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as always, selfbuilt. :twothumbs

Maybe this is too obvious a question, but I've searched a number of threads and after spending 1 hour I figured it wouldn't do any harm to ask.
The "R" series Olight flashlights can charge via the USB docked charging base. I get that. And it has to be a powered USB socket (not off a monitor or unpowered hub). But... will it charge when plugged into an outlet with a USB AC adapter? I certainly hope so, but just thought I'd double check before getting one. Thanks.

revelations0350

Newly Enlightened
Yes they work by plugging USB cord to wall outlet USB adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The "R" series Olight flashlights can charge via the USB docked charging base. I get that. And it has to be a powered USB socket (not off a monitor or unpowered hub). But... will it charge when plugged into an outlet with a USB AC adapter? I certainly hope so, but just thought I'd double check before getting one. Thanks.
Absolutely, the R-series models all work fine when charged off a USB-AC adapter. I'm working on a review of those lights now.

Latest posts