Olight S2R Baton II - review and beamshots

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Olight S2R Baton II – the smallest and lightest 18650 flashlight I have seen so far….
TL:DR Small and lightweight flashlight with great runtime due to 3200 mAh 18650, ideal for carrying in your pocket, etc as long as you don't need too much throw.
It's a bit of a cliché to say that this flashlight or that flashlight is a perfect EDC, so I won't say that. What I will say, however, is that the Olight S2R Baton II is the smallest, lightest 18650 flashlight I have tested, and that it has basically all the features I would recommend for a general-purpose flashlight.
It's about 2mm shorter than a Skilhunt H03 and just a touch skinnier overall plus it doesn't have as large a head. At 43 grams (no clip or battery) it edges out the H03 by 1 gram. It not only fits in my pocket, it fits in the coin pocket of my jeans!
There's a significant difference in the charging contacts on the base – instead of a tailcap, the body is part of the tailcap. No more warning about not shorting it out as well. There's now also a lanyard hole at the end – a much more secure solution than having it on the pocket clip which can get pulled off. Too bad I can't retrofit it onto my H2R Nova.
The charging dongle has been redesigned – rounder and a deeper blue, the status light is now on the top surface, so if you're used to charging in a tailstand, well, you can't see the status. Tailstand is of course great, and with the magnet very secure – magnet also holds the light securely upside down or horizontal.
The Olight battery with the proprietary negative contact is upgraded from 3000 mAh to 3200, but is still a potential hazard if carried outside of the flashlight, but that's the price for having a small flashlight with USB charging capability. I tested it with protected and unprotected 18650 cells and they worked fine. The pocket clip sits in a special slot which prevents it from rotating around the body. Nice feature since this is a side switch. The switch also has a built in status light so you know how your battery is holding up – starts to turn red when voltage is low – I couldn't find the voltage level in the instructions however. The threads are anodized so you can unscrew the body ½ turn to make sure power is locked out.
I do a ceiling bounce test to compare flashlights against competitors, and the S2R Baton II overdelivers slightly on the 1150 lumen Turbo, is dead on the competition for the 400 lumen high and 120 lumen medium.
The beam color is a bit more cool than I like – as a bit of an old timer perhaps I like neutral or warm white. As with other Olight optics, no artifacts observed, but more of a flood light with very limited amounts of throw. In fact, looking at objects in the back yard at around 23 meters, the H03 actually seems to have a more coherent beam than the S2R.
Olight is the only flashlight I know which has a timer function – I guess if you wanted to have night light, you could have the light turn itself out after 3 or 9 minutes. It's a neat function, I just haven't figured out a scenario that it would be useful in.

Features and general comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lzbkbj9hUI

Night time beamshots and comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbj10LsDcZY