Olight Smini

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I would rather aluminum myself. Titanium is a poor material for flashlights imo and SS is far too heavy. I prefer performance over bling. How about some real Type 3 hard anodized 7075 T651 with a 219B R9050 SW40 D220, a better designed bezel down clip, and a glass/sapphire lens over the optic. I would be in on that even if they charged a premium for it.

I'd be in for one of those! :hitit: I have to dream, as I ordered my bead-blasted ti on Sept. 28 and probably won't see it for at least a few more weeks.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Aluminum is quite a bit cheaper and I'd rather save that money.

Ditto.

And haIII aluminum is more scatch resistance than titanium. I also agree with Tachead that I would prefer a glass lens protecting the plastic optic.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only is aluminum cheaper, it is much better at absorbing and dissipating heat which allows the light to run cooler promoting better efficiency and longevity, its lighter weight, it generally machines nicer allowing for smoother threads, and it has much better scratch resistance when a proper type 3 anodizing is applied(especially because most light makers use Ti6Al4V that isnt heat treated to its full potential).

Really, Titanium only has its shiny looks going for it when it comes to flashlight applications.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *new* Olight Smini

a few websites have the small hidden box or worse to confirm bs before checkout. the websites are often so lowsy that on different browsers you may have to really hunt for it if it appears at all.Why has BatteryJunction, the first to list these, not even shipped yet? Has anyone got any S Mini from them?
Talked to battery junction this morning; the shipment is coming in on Friday. So I expect they will be mailing them out a day or two after.Steve
BJ is shipping, at least some versions, now.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened

[quote: "Talked to battery junction this morning; the shipment is coming in on Friday. So I expect they will be mailing them out a day or two after.Steve" end quote] [Reply With Quote is not working for me]

The BJ website says the bead blasted ti minis are not expected there until November 5.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want unscratchable surface -- use tungsten carbide. This will be eternal light... until you drop it :D

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I may be in a minority but I have the titanium with neutral tint and it's perfect for me. I love the tint. I just wish you'd put the memory mode back.

MattSPL

Enlightened

[quote: "Talked to battery junction this morning; the shipment is coming in on Friday. So I expect they will be mailing them out a day or two after.Steve" end quote] [Reply With Quote is not working for me]

The BJ website says the bead blasted ti minis are not expected there until November 5.

That delay on the BB finish isn't good, I'm waiting on one from Illumn

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be in a minority but I have the titanium with neutral tint and it's perfect for me. I love the tint. I just wish you'd put the memory mode back.

There's no mode memory in the S mini?!

Mine has memory

Thanks - I thought so. Gadgetman7 was probably referring to something else when he mentioned "memory mode."

He is maybe referring to how Olight F'd-up the memory mode. Unfortunately I bought too many before I found this out. On the previous S1 special editions they finally had a UI I could live with, but now they are in the dog-house again. On those previous ones (e.g copper S1) if you set memory mode to say level 2 or 3, but at night time used the direct access to moonlight mode, it would not overwrite your memory setting the next time you just turned on your light. A real useful memory mode. Now they have reverted back to the CRAP implementation and there is no real memory mode, just a last-level memory. Many consider them the same, but they are not. I have no idea why the newer lights would revert this most useful feature. No more Olights for me until I know the detailed API usage as they seem to change it at will without documenting what it is.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
He is maybe referring to how Olight F'd-up the memory mode. Unfortunately I bought too many before I found this out. On the previous S1 special editions they finally had a UI I could live with, but now they are in the dog-house again. On those previous ones (e.g copper S1) if you set memory mode to say level 2 or 3, but at night time used the direct access to moonlight mode, it would not overwrite your memory setting the next time you just turned on your light. A real useful memory mode. Now they have reverted back to the CRAP implementation and there is no real memory mode, just a last-level memory. Many consider them the same, but they are not. I have no idea why the newer lights would revert this most useful feature. No more Olights for me until I know the detailed API usage as they seem to change it at will without documenting what it is.

Guess you can't please everyone. I remember when most lights were binary ..... ON or OFF. Then came lights like my Liteflux LF2XT that has such complex programming you need to keep a manual nearby to use it .
3d5e187990.jpg

3d5e187990.jpg
3d5e187990.jpg
3d5e187990.jpg

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sure do not seem to understand that the UI is an important feature to us just as much as any other feature.
The same problem regarding the lockout function in these lights.
They seem to go back and forth with no way to tell or predict which UI features a light might have and for some reason do not list them all anywhere easy to find either?

I for one am done buying these lights until I know for sure they can lock out and they fix the clip so that I can use it with my pant,turn it the correct direction and not let it come flying off since it is not attached really.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's the way to get them to listen. Vote with your wallet. Far too many people put up with bad features and buy lights just to buy them then complain. There are many light models made by many manufactures. Give your money to the ones who are doing the right things. It will force the others to change their lights to meet the demand if they want to stay competitive and keep in business. As long as companies are making money they will keep doing things the old same way.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
f78da9f1bc46447181187773e1d2c9cc.png

Interesting. This guy switched the S Mini and S1 tail-caps and they turned out to be the same length.