Olight Smini

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we both know already, it is cool white. But I am kind of disappointed with it as the finish looks very dull in person, not like that glossy finish in the picture. And there are a few blemishes in the finish as well ( one part almost looks like a fingerprint ). Not too happy. Plus the bezel does not appear to be down all the way around.
Saw them today and thought they looked exactly like what I expected from the Photographs. On the AA S1A version I could see a few machining marks on the hex area around the switch, they could have polished that a bit better before coating, I expect this is what you say looks a bit like a finger-print; unpolished machining marks. The black PVD on the copper is more glossy for sure. Maybe you got a bad one, or had different expectations. You are referring to the S-Mini Right?

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Saw them today and thought they looked exactly like what I expected from the Photographs. On the AA S1A version I could see a few machining marks on the hex area around the switch, they could have polished that a bit better before coating, I expect this is what you say looks a bit like a finger-print; unpolished machining marks. The black PVD on the copper is more glossy for sure. Maybe you got a bad one, or had different expectations. You are referring to the S-Mini Right?
Yes the s mini.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the s mini. The s1's I have are perfect. Plus, on the s mini the bezel is down all the way by the clip but has a small gap the rest of the way around somewhat like my jetbeam jet II mk.
I think you got a bad one. None of mine have any gap on the Bezel ring and I just checked a Thunder Grey version and it was perfect also. I think some one missed the defects on that one in QC (if they have that). I'd definitely send them a picture and see what they say. I hate that space on the Jet MK II, but it would ruin these higher end models totally. Sounds like yours got threaded wrong since it is uneven.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I think you got a bad one. None of mine have any gap on the Bezel ring and I just checked a Thunder Grey version and it was perfect also. I think some one missed the defects on that one in QC (if they have that). I'd definitely send them a picture and see what they say. I hate that space on the Jet MK II, but it would ruin these higher end models totally. Sounds like yours got threaded wrong since it is uneven.
I guess I will try one more and return this one. Would be pretty cool without the issues though. Thanks.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I guess I made it out to be worse than it is. Upon looking at it the sunlight (high cri right ;) ) the bezel I guess is fine just down a little further by the clip. And the finish isn't too bad with a few minor imperfections. I was just used to perfection in my other olights :) But it still does not look as polished as in that pic.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *new* Olight Smini

Nice lights. But what I don't like: too large gap between medium and high mode in my opinion. Medium should be 100-120lm. And even larger gap at start, is not possible to avoid 550lm initial(if I understand it right)

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice lights. But what I don't like: too large gap between medium and high mode in my opinion. Medium should be 100-120lm. And even large gap at start, is not possible to avoid 550lm initial(if I understand it right)
The lights have a broken memory-mode (last-used-memory) so it starts on where you left it. Broken, because unlike the nice limited edition S1 models, if you use the instant access to Low or High from Off it also sets the memory level to that setting. This type of brain-damaged last-mode-memory I thought was finally on it's way out, but it could have been what Olight considered a defect on the previous limited editions rather than a super-great implementation. Not everyone things alike, but this is a huge UI step backwards in my view.
I use mine on primary CR123A cells and the levels seem OK to me. Maybe on Li-Ion they are different. You have to take into account the beam pattern.

... so sad on the UI memory implementation, almost had the perfect CR123A lights.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lights have a broken memory-mode (last-used-memory) so it starts on where you left it. Broken, because unlike the nice limited edition S1 models, if you use the instant access to Low or High from Off it also sets the memory level to that setting. This type of brain-damaged last-mode-memory I thought was finally on it's way out, but it could have been what Olight considered a defect on the previous limited editions rather than a super-great implementation. Not everyone things alike, but this is a huge UI step backwards in my view.
I use mine on primary CR123A cells and the levels seem OK to me. Maybe on Li-Ion they are different. You have to take into account the beam pattern.

... so sad on the UI memory implementation, almost had the perfect CR123A lights.
But then to add to the oddness the mini has the return of the Lockout function which is high on my list of needs,much higher than the memory that you are talking about.

So why not have both?!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

But then to add to the oddness the mini has the return of the Lockout function which is high on my list of needs,much higher than the memory that you are talking about.

So why not have both?!
Yes they should have both, but the the current lockout if used means you really can't use memory mode because everytime you take it out of lookout you are in low. Crazy. Also the lockout is not really that good. The activation sequence is good, but the deactivation sequence is not suitable for all situations. Since it only requires a long press to deactivate, it's a bit crazy because the accidental press of the button is what it is suppose to prevent from activating the light. So if the button get squeezed when you put something into your pack, or you have to swat a weird way to get at something with the light in your pocket there is a good chance the lockout will deactivate. So my theory is having something that does not work is worse than not having it. Ideally though they would find a solution such as mechanical lockout, two stage unlock or timed click unlock... they don't pay me to solve their issues though. I shouldn't say anything but after all these years it's sad to see so many bad or limited UIs, and worse that they are never properly documented before the lights go on sale.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes they should have both, but the the current lockout if used means you really can't use memory mode because everytime you take it out of lookout you are in low. Crazy. Also the lockout is not really that good. The activation sequence is good, but the deactivation sequence is not suitable for all situations. Since it only requires a long press to deactivate, it's a bit crazy because the accidental press of the button is what it is suppose to prevent from activating the light. So if the button get squeezed when you put something into your pack, or you have to swat a weird way to get at something with the light in your pocket there is a good chance the lockout will deactivate. So my theory is having something that does not work is worse than not having it. Ideally though they would find a solution such as mechanical lockout, two stage unlock or timed click unlock... they don't pay me to solve their issues though. I shouldn't say anything but after all these years it's sad to see so many bad or limited UIs, and worse that they are never properly documented before the lights go on sale.

Agree
Which is why I EDC a ZL still.
Since they simply recessed the switch I have not had accidental activation at all.
Not exactly Rocket Science.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm waiting for the aluminum version to come out. The tiny size will be complimented by the lite weight. I am on the fence with the ss version. It's nice but I worry it will be a bit heavy and noticeable when carried in the pocket without clip.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm waiting for the aluminum version to come out. The tiny size will be complimented by the lite weight. I am on the fence with the ss version.

I asked Olight and they said they probably will not be making an aluminium version of the S Mini.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked Olight and they said they probably will not be making an aluminium version of the S Mini.
Going gear said that it would happen eventually but not this year. I would have thought Olight would be in communication with their dealers. That is disappointing if true. I'm kinda bummed.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agree
Which is why I EDC a ZL still.
Since they simply recessed the switch I have not had accidental activation at all.
Not exactly Rocket Science.
I carry ZL too, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon... so that is why lockout on other lights is less important to me, but it still bums me out with companies put a big side switch out there and don't account for a good lockout. OLight is not the only one. Sometimes I just like to play with other lights especially right now as I'm looking at what's new, but I know what works for me I'm happy with my lights and really don't need any more I can't keep track of the ones I have as is. Soon I'll get the lay of the land currently and be out of here until I see some interesting new stuff coming out. I'll be happy if I have time to watch the battery forum, and I'll do some building or modding for fun.

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened

The Astrolux S41S (which is defective like most of them). Not made by Manker anymore.

Hmm.. I looked into this and it does appear that there have been reported issues over at BLF. I have one arriving soon. Hopefully mine is a good copy. It was ordered via Amazon, not Banggood.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm.. I looked into this and it does appear that there have been reported issues over at BLF. I have one arriving soon. Hopefully mine is a good copy. It was ordered via Amazon, not Banggood.
I got one yesterday, but have not tried it yet. I really like my E14, and got one as sort of a backup at a cheeper price. That may not workout. Spent a bunch of time yesterday fixing 3 different issues with 3 different cooyoo style 10180 lights. Paying more is often worth it, but in the case of the 10180 lights it does not help.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really late to this party: What grade of Titanium do they use? 6/4 or 2? It's hard to believe at the price.

Where can I go for the history of the company?