Olight Smini

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my stainless S Mini this morning. It is tiny. Makes m ZL SC5 and Sumwayman M11R appear huge. Great beam for short range work; certainly no thrower. Moonlight mode is +++. Tint is nice for a cool white...meaning white is what it is. Seems nice and solid. Very nicely finished.

Not sure that mine is going into Turbo at all on either a CR123a or AW RCR cell. Not noticing any obvious stepdown with the Mark I Eyeball. Sure gets hot after a couple of minutes, though. I do kinda question the need for 500 vs 300 lumens on a light that seems to me to be suited for short to modest ranges <50 ft. I'll take it out and about tonight through town & the woods and see what's what.

Might have to snag a neutral white S-Mini, or are those just in TI? Nothing against titanium, but a bit pricey. Maybe an S1A copper, just for the AA Eneloop/L91/ 14500 compatibility.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Received my stainless S Mini this morning. It is tiny. Makes m ZL SC5 and Sumwayman M11R appear huge. Great beam for short range work; certainly no thrower. Moonlight mode is +++. Tint is nice for a cool white...meaning white is what it is. Seems nice and solid. Very nicely finished.

Not sure that mine is going into Turbo at all on either a CR123a or AW RCR cell. Not noticing any obvious stepdown with the Mark I Eyeball. Sure gets hot after a couple of minutes, though. I do kinda question the need for 500 vs 300 lumens on a light that seems to me to be suited for short to modest ranges <50 ft. I'll take it out and about tonight through town & the woods and see what's what.

Might have to snag a neutral white S-Mini, or are those just in TI? Nothing against titanium, but a bit pricey. Maybe an S1A copper, just for the AA Eneloop/L91/ 14500 compatibility.

Neutral white tint are only available with TI unfortunately. I would recommend the rainbow PVD. However, S1A is available with NW tint. That might be a better option with more battery options and better mode spacing.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Just ordered a Ti Mini and should have it before the end of the day.

I read this entire thread, but am still confused as to exactly what interface I'll be getting.

Does anyone have any instruction sheet they can post?

LeafSamurai

Enlightened

I read this entire thread, but am still confused as to exactly what interface I'll be getting.

There should be a sheet that comes with the light itself which will have the instructions. Bottom line, click the button to switch the light on. Press and hold down to change modes. Click the button again to turn the light off. Double click to turbo. Triple click for strobe. That's all there is to know.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all 8 S Mini's. The brass one is also neutral white. The UI is the same on all 8 of mine. The brass one is really nice it has the heft of the copper ones and patinas nicely.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
There should be a sheet that comes with the light itself which will have the instructions. Bottom line, click the button to switch the light on. Press and hold down to change modes. Click the button again to turn the light off. Double click to turbo. Triple click for strobe. That's all there is to know.
Thanks. Been carrying it today, loose in my front pocket, clipless.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright well there are 3 titanium versions all of which are awesome and neutral white...yes they are pretty light...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the S Mini must be the easiest to EDC LED light ever. There is a belt holster available for the S Mini I got one it is pretty cool so you have another option there. The holster also has a D ring at the top so you could even attach it to you key ring

editor

Newly Enlightened
Hi, as newcomer in the forum this is my first comment here, thank you all for the extreme amount of useful information.

I have eight Olight flashlights, just received my stainless steel S mini as the nineth. Absolutely great light, however it caused some surprises to me.

• Name: it was supposed to be S mini SS, but what I got is SuS. Is this a different light, or just the product code changed from SS to SuS?
  • Finish: Based on the other PVD models I expected something more shiny. I like the way it is, but I wonder if this is that one, or Olight enriched the choices.
  • Rechargeable: I thought it would run longer on max, and I thought the step back would be smooth, gradual. It changed stepped back radically and instantly instead.

From Olight I'm used to get exactly what they specify, and it is the case now with the primary battery. I was just not much prepared for this step back after seconds on rechargeable. It is still kind of Rolls Royce of its kind, but using 16340 it is a 60 lumen Rolls Royce. If they made something like 200 as additional step, it could have been a 200 lm Rolls.

I also tried the light so that I put it on a cold surface. As soon as my hand did not isolate the cooling, it could stay on max, and produced the well known and beloved smooth, gradual lowering to about 2-300.

wweiss

Enlightened
alright well there are 3 titanium versions all of which are awesome and neutral white...yes they are pretty light...

Agreed:

Great beam spread & uniformity. Small enough to be used in gastro-endoscopy, packs much more punch and usefullness than expected. Run time on "medium" is unexpectedly long for a single rcr123. Titanium body is cool, retro-60's cool. Excellent perimeter awareness. I seem to be carrying this one every day - It may crawl into my poket on it's own, or I put it there without realizing it...

editor

Newly Enlightened

Hi there, I just received mine, I'm happy to tell some experiences about UI. I collect Baton lights since the first S10, it's fun to see how they make UI smarter and smarter.

• What is memorized: my previous aquisition was an S2. That one excludes moonlight from memorization, S Mini remembers and recalls moonlight
  • Scrolling modes on press&hold: much faster
  • Standardization: now shortcut to hi and strob is done exacts same way when light is on or off.
  • Timer got a new gesture: double click and hold
  • Electronic lock: on steel version there isn't mechanical lock. Soft lock got improved, now when press while locked, it will temporarily go on in moonlight*.
  • Fade in and out: in high, getting in and out is not a sudden instant change rather a pleasant fading. Ergonomy is getting respected :)
  • Step down: for S10R II I found that driving the light in high, it suddenly shuts down and lets user in the dark. This one is improved, it steps down one mode if the current one can not be maintained.
This is what I remember, there may be some more UI matters.

* Regarding soft lock, I had a funny story. I gave an S15 to a friend. The flashlight, by far the best one available that time, almost ended in the trashbin. She managed to lock it from that moment on she could not make it work any more. S Mini at least gives a sign of life when pressed while locked.

Great little light, respect to designers.

editor

Newly Enlightened
Yes, at last I got what I expected and more. After several ucsuccessful tries with my existing Li-ion batteries I got an IMR that does not shut down after seconds of use, nor does it step down to medium. Now it is perfect, thank you Olight.

Utherwise if it is used as an EDC for real occasional needs, the Olight primary CR123 will last long. But who don't like to fiddle with a new light :)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Decided to switch out the factory Silicone O-ring to a more durable Viton O-ring. While you may have different experience, I have no confidence in these clear Silicone O-ring as I've broken quite a few in the past when changing batteries (on other lights that uses these translucent O-rings).These Silicone O-ring has poor wear resistance...

LkntHF.jpg

S Mini uses 1mm (CS) x 17mm (ID) O-ring, in case you are wondering...

Last edited:

donjoe

Newly Enlightened
I've only carried mine clipped, which means button pointed out since the clip doesn't rotate, but I've had a couple of accidental activations with mine.
Yep, that's what immediately jumped out at me: good idea locking that thing in place so we can form some tactile memory and find the button quickly and reliably every time we put our hands on the flashlight, but bad bad idea on the orientation. The button has no business facing the clip and becoming inaccessible, but it also has no business facing the wearer's body, which it can be pressed into in some situations, leading to unwanted activation. The right orientation for the button is 90 degrees from the clip, one side or the other, to minimize the chances of unwanted activation.

And another questionable design element on these newer S1/mini models: the timer feature, if I understand it correctly, only applies to the 3 main modes that can be cycled with a long-press. But the expected usage scenario most people (and reviewers) will talk about with this is turning it on temporarily at night and wanting it to turn off on its own after you go back to sleep. Well what mode do people use in that scenario? Moonlight! The timer should work primarily (if not exclusively) for moonlight mode, not the normal illumination modes! :)

Any type of battery indicator would have been appreciated. I love that Zebralights and Klarus lights have this.
They had the most important part of that - a low battery indication via red light in the switch - in the old S10/S20 models and they brought it back in the newer tailcap-rechargeable S1R/S2R, but it's not in the simple S1/S2 and apparently also not in the Smini.

Last edited: