Olight SR51 (XM-L, 6xCR123A/RCR 2x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have the Olight SR50 and it looks like you never did a test on it.
That's right, I never tested the SR50.

What were the battery capacities used in your SR51 Runtime and graph tests?
The CR123As are Titanium Innovations cells, labelled as 1400mAh. But I can tell you from my current battery testing that they continue to perform comparably to all the major made-in-the-USA brands.

The RCRs are standard black-label AW protected, labelled as 750mAh. I believe most people consider this to be an over-estimate (e.g., the AW 14500s are similarly rated, but typically have >20% more capacity). Hard to find reliable numbers for the RCR capacities.

The 18650s are original button-top AW protected, labelled as 2200mAh. This capacity measurement seems fairly accurate to me, as runtimes to scale up pretty well again newer high-capacity cells (although that depends on specific current levels).

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Question; (Hope that someone reads it, and can answer it :sssh: ); Olight SR51 or Fenix TK41? Which light is brighter? And which one will throw further? Which one would you choose?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are very close in beam spill and throw.

Do you really want to keep charging 8 x AA batteries?

The SR51 has the versatility of being able to use 6 x CR123As, 6 x RCR123s or Li-ion 18650s.

I have the SR50 with the SST50 in it with the battery carrier for both of the battery sizes.

I have used the 2 x 18650 carrier and it works great with 2 x 18650 2900mah Li-ions in it and I love the feel, the spill, the throw and the strobe.

In Australia the Olight SR50 has come down a lot in price to under $100 AUS and it included the 18650 battery carrier and the CR123 one.

Because the price had dropped here and I knew about the 18650 option this torch (SR50) was a bargain in Australia.

But with the addition of the 18650 battery carrier the torch works just as good as the SR51 in my opinion.

It boils down to personal taste and battery options in my opinion.

Try looking in google for flashlight comparisons on youtube.

I found one comparison that has 73 flashlights compared at the same site under the same conditions including the Olight SR50, SR51 and the Fenix TK41.

PM me if you need any more info on that comparison site that I go to.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Question; (Hope that someone reads it, and can answer it :sssh: ); Olight SR51 or Fenix TK41? Which light is brighter? And which one will throw further? Which one would you choose?

I have compared them in this beamshot, together with some other lights. Which one you will chose depends on your user interface preference and battery preference.

tomtetom

Newly Enlightened
I think the SR51 is better, because it has got more lumens and a more concentrated Beam.

Tom

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks everybody :) - I think i'm gonna buy the SR51. Already have the TK41, but he needs a brother next to him :D
Now, I know a website which sells it for €130,- including shipment in EU. Do you guys know a cheaper shop in the EU?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a member of the cpf for over 10 years, currently own 5 olights and when I turned on my SR51 to do a performance check which I do every few weeks, it was
dead. I examined the led and it looked milky and strange. I contacted olight and going gear which sold it to me, and it is not a cheap light and the best I could do was be
told that I had to wait 2 to 3 months for it to be sent to China so they could repair it. I am really unhappy with the response from olight that could have simply sent me a
replacement head. Over the years, like most here, I've spent a fortune in flashlights of all descriptions from Hid to the fenix 4c light, power on board and you name it. I am
writing to you all because I've never experienced such a weak response, I will purchase something else, even though I have a couple of battery holders for this light. Nobody
is willing to act like I am a valid purchaser, it would never cross my mind to scam anyone and I do have over 530 ebay feeedbacks with 100% positive, All I can say is let
the buyer beware when dealing with this company which was one of my favorites before this happened. I carry my SR51 for security purposes and never imagined that in this
day, a flashlight could fail from inactivity. I periodically take our my dual 18650 batteries and put in fresh ones that have been recharged. I own a few Jetbeam lights, the big
fenix tk70 but it's a bit big to carry, anyone have any failures with their Olight?
just curious
Keith

drb46

Newly Enlightened
I bought a SR51 in June of 2012 and it has never worked right. I have tried both types of batteries and the batteries are not the problem. The dealer has offered to send me the parts to fix it, but I don't really know what parts to request. The light flickers or won't go into medium mode at all, and using the 18650s it is not reliable in high mode. Can anyone suggest what parts to request and is there anyone here that would work on it (for a fee)?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I bought a SR51 in June of 2012 and it has never worked right. I have tried both types of batteries and the batteries are not the problem. The dealer has offered to send me the parts to fix it, but I don't really know what parts to request. The light flickers or won't go into medium mode at all, and using the 18650s it is not reliable in high mode. Can anyone suggest what parts to request and is there anyone here that would work on it (for a fee)?
I don't what parts they would send you that you could do yourself. If the light doesn't work properly with either the 2x18650 or 6xCR123A battery carriers, it sounds like a circuit problem that would require a RMA to the manufacturer, sorry.

drb46

Newly Enlightened
I don't what parts they would send you that you could do yourself. If the light doesn't work properly with either the 2x18650 or 6xCR123A battery carriers, it sounds like a circuit problem that would require a RMA to the manufacturer, sorry.

Well that's just what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation. I requested a RMA from the dealer, but he wants to send me parts.......oh well, live and learn.

kj2

Flashaholic
I asked Olight on Facebook if the SR51 will be updated. They answered, that there is a update coming in the next 60 to 90 days.
So yes, we have to wait a while- but there should be a update coming :)

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd hope than an updated version, if it retains a single xm-l2 puts out 1350 lumens on high, and has at least two lower levels.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hello, according to the rating in this review, the sr51 can achieve 0.25 lux at 396m. How come the rating for the sr51 have changed to 451m in the sr52 review?http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R123A)-Rechargeable-review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIMES
It's because of the updated NIST-certified lux meter used to do the calculations now. This is explained in the review text, right above the table (i.e., the bit about the switch to the orange highlights in the table). The are the numbers to go by.