OLIGHT SR52-UT XP-L Hi (3Px18650) REVIEW

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Re: OLIGHT SR52-UT XP-L Hi (3Px18650) REVIEW (80% complete)

6 RCR's in parallel make more sense than the 3 18650 in parallel.

Last edited:

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened

Sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me. All configs parallel you say?

3x18650~4,2v (roughly 9000mAh)
6x16340/18350~25,2v (roughly 4200mAh)
Looks to be mAh regulated.

Yes,if you use 16340/18350 batteries,they will be 3x 8,4V in parallel. Total voltage 8,4V.
If,each of the batteries has 800mAh capacity,the total mAh will be 2400mAh.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for reading!

Both flashlights SR52UT and M2XUT have almost the same head diameter and length of the body.
The SR52 though is much heavier,which is really good for the heat dissipation,but weighs more when carrying,even in a backpack.
SR52UT=534gr. with batteries
M2X UT=267gr. with a battery
The SR52UT requires some time to adjust the position of the switch in the hand,so the M2X may be a better choice,if quick activating is needed.
About the quality of the light,the SR52UT is very clean white(may be too cool white for some people).The M2XUT in the version I have with de-domed XM-L2 is noticeably greenish tint.
The SR52UT has about 200 lumens more output and at least 20kcd more beam intensity. It also has no timed step down.This could be a huge advantage,depending on the way of use.
I really like the M2X,it is one of the best "pocket" throwers. But to be honest,after getting the M3XS UT,I almost don't use the M2X.
The M3XS UT with two 18500 is also a good choice.

Thanks for that detailed comparison. If you could only buy either the m2x-ut or sr52-ut which would you choose? The m3x-ut is the same size as my Sx25l2t and I'm trying to get away from larger lights as they don't get used much anymore.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

FlashLion great review as always and the pic's just keep getting better :)

I was really looking forward to this light and I like everything about it except the lack of regulation with 3x18650 on high. It tapers off slow enough that you really won't notice it for a while, but at this price point with the 3x configuration driving one LED I would like to see flat regulation designed around the ability of the host to to dissipate heat.

It's set up to charge 3x18650 cells internally what most folks will be using in the real world but it's (said) to perform better with higher voltage from primary cells :huh:

Maybe I expect too much :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a few photos that I took at a large bridge near my house recently.

The distance across to the last concrete columns is approximately 600 meters.

Bridge%20alone_zpsiwswrqpk.jpg

The photo below is showing the SR52UT making it to the last column nicely.

Olight%20SR52UT_zps9zxpwwr0.jpg

The photo below shows the Javelot M3XS-UT improving on the throw of the SR52UT.

Javelot%20M3XS-UT_zpsqtnoxbav.jpg

The photo below shows the DEFT-X doing what it does best.

DEFT%20-%20X%20from%20right%20side_zps803djumz.jpg

The DEFT-X again.

DEFT%20-%20X%20straight%20from%20behind_zpsphrsawve.jpg

A closeup of the column with the DEFT-X.

DEFT%20-%20X%20straight%20from%20behind%20closeup_zpskf37dntd.jpg

The DEFT-X again. The brightness setting on the camera was increased below to show the beam a bit better in this shot.

DEFT%20-%20X%20from%20left%20side_zpssiw3uxld.jpg

A blue laser aimed at the same spot.

Blue%20laser_zps5bpl13hh.jpg

I have more photos to upload later.

The Javelot M3XS-UT does throw better than the SR52UT but not by that much, maybe 150 meters.

CHEERS

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
If that really is 600m than I believe the sr52-ut will do what I want or even the m2x-ut as the specs for it aren't far off the sr52-ut.

I have M2X UT and love it,I bought it mainly because of the single 18650 and for one cell it is an excellent light.The extension tube can be used if wanted,but the cigar ring won't fit,unless you modify the tube and not too hard to do if you are handy with tools.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?405933-M2X-Extension-mod

If I was going somewhere that I would need it for a long run time I'd use the tube but no need to at home as yet,but nice knowing it is handy if I do want it.

That SR52 is a nice light though.

FlashLion

Enlightened

Thanks for that detailed comparison. If you could only buy either the m2x-ut or sr52-ut which would you choose? The m3x-ut is the same size as my Sx25l2t and I'm trying to get away from larger lights as they don't get used much anymore.
If I need a compact thrower,I will go with the M2X.It really feels well in hand and I can easily carry it in my backpack.

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened

Do you still have the regular Olight SR52? Can we see the beam shoot of the Olight SR52 vs Olight SR52 UT? Is there a really big difference in terms of brightness and throw?

I have the Olight M22 and the M23 and there is really not much of a big difference in terms of brightness and throw.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the input and help, if I can ever get this Eagletac SX25L2T to sell I'm going to get an m2x-ut.

FlashLion

Enlightened

Do you still have the regular Olight SR52? Can we see the beam shoot of the Olight SR52 vs Olight SR52 UT? Is there a really big difference in terms of brightness and throw?

I have the Olight M22 and the M23 and there is really not much of a big difference in terms of brightness and throw.
Yes,I keep all my flashlights.
There are three comparison pictures,just before the outdoor beamshots.
I did not take it for the outdoor beamshots,because of lack of enough batteries ready at that time :shakehead.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still have the SR50, SR51 and SR52.

I might have to set them up on the same column in the middle of the bridge to show how much light falls on it to see clearly what the difference is between them all.

The SR50 is not going to be seen on the last column.

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes,I keep all my flashlights.
There are three comparison pictures,just before the outdoor beamshots.
I did not take it for the outdoor beamshots,because of lack of enough batteries ready at that time :shakehead.

Congratulations on some fine photographic work mate!!

I know just how much work and thought goes into getting good beamshots.

I have not quite figured out how you have achieved the animated shots but they look really good and it shows much creativity on your part.

I don't have any really dark areas near me living in suburbia to do long distance throwing shots without ambient light stuffing things up.

At least the bridge gives them some room to stretch their legs a little and see what they can do.

CHEERS

FlashLion

Enlightened

Good pictures, and review.
Thanks erik and :welcome:

Congratulations on some fine photographic work mate!!

I know just how much work and thought goes into getting good beamshots.

I have not quite figured out how you have achieved the animated shots but they look really good and it shows much creativity on your part.

I don't have any really dark areas near me living in suburbia to do long distance throwing shots without ambient light stuffing things up.

At least the bridge gives them some room to stretch their legs a little and see what they can do.

CHEERS
Thanks Oztorchfreak !
Your beam shots are also great!
It is very useful for people to see how the flashlights perform in different scenarios.:thumbsup: