Olight SR52UT Intimidator (XP-L Hi, 3x 18650/6x CR123A) Review

Artivideo

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it is indeed faulty light since when I look again at the spot it seems not really symmetrically intense, furthermore it has a scratch on the head. Maybe it is a faulty returned sample ?
I charged the batteries till the green light comes on but it marginally throws more than the EA41 (2015 version).

Either you got a faulty light or the batteries are not properly charged. With fully charged cells the high mode is significantly brighter than mid mode. But even at mid mode SR52UT will totally outthrow EA41, no question about that.

ven

Flashaholic
What charger is being used ? maybe the charger is at fault. Have you any way of testing the actual cell voltage(multi meter). Maybe this would help diagnose the issue:)

Artivideo

Newly Enlightened
Are you serious, FYI this flashlight has a built-in charger !!! I fully charged the 3400 mA Olight 18650's and went out tonight and the throw is at most 50 meters further (so about 400 m) than my Nitecore EA41. Maybe I was expecting to much from the light. I am going to return it since it is not word the 200 euro's. The size and shape of the light is excellent (a part from a 20 mm scratch at the head) as well as the built-in charger but at the end of the day it is about how it performs. I just want more light and probably a single LED flashlight is not going to do this for me.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:
Are you serious? Just because it has an inbuilt charger(that is not ideal anyway) does not mean you have used that to charge the cells............hence the question.

Have you actually checked the cells voltage to confirm they are fully charged? How do we know the inbuilt charger is not defective...........

Your light sounds faulty , its certainly under performing anyway.
Good luck!
:)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
have had the UT over a month now and freaking love it. Have had the original SR52 since it came out and still love that one as well. The tint is awesome out the UT very white. Once again another Olight that throws farther than I can really see. Use 3x3500mah Orbtronic cells lots of run time. Still wish the 52 had a 4th mode though besides strobe a lower low would be nice. In the end its money very well spent. Once again Olight knocks the quality of fit and finish out of the park the heatsinking is just...perfect.

Artvideo I see you posting the same complaint in all the SR52UT threads. You either got a bad light or one of your cells is bad. Get a stand alone charger like a simple Nitecore i2 or i4 they are cheap and work well and will charge faster than the 52. Do you have a multi meter to measure the voltage of the cells? The SR52UT devours my EA41 in output and especially throw. What were you expecting beam wise? The Olights beam is massive. Sure the hot spot is on the smaller side but that is just the nature of the XP-L HI. If you want the most output and throw you can get buy the M3XS UT Javelot. That light has tested out here as high as 1300 lumens on high and boy does it throw a mile. Its hot spot is small ultra bright well defined. You wont get anywhere near the run time of the SR52 though.

ven

Flashaholic
Having a 20mm mark on the head kind of makes me wonder if it has been a return...........of course i am speculating here, but depending on where bought, it may have been a return and sent out by mistake(or not!) Only thoughts here, just trying to help out and get to the bottom of this:)

Artivideo

Newly Enlightened
I checked all 3 batteries after they where fully charged and measured the voltage and they were all equal about 4.1 volt so the charging system seems ok . Maybe I was just expecting to much from the 800 m throw mentioned in the spec. I wil wait until there will be a more powerful singel LED flashlight available this year. The Acebeam K70 is not available here but than again I have seen beam shots where the SR52UT and the K70 were compared and the difference was also not extremely big. So hopefully Fenix (which always lags behind) brings out a nice new thrower this year.

Having a 20mm mark on the head kind of makes me wonder if it has been a return...........of course i am speculating here, but depending on where bought, it may have been a return and sent out by mistake(or not!) Only thoughts here, just trying to help out and get to the bottom of this:)

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for info,4.1v is around 90% but i dont think them being 4.2v would have made enough difference anyway(direct drive on high) .Its a tough one ,from specs and to what we actually expect. Same flashlight, 1000lm, then bumped to 2000lm will not make it appear twice as bright, what we actually see is a little bump to the eye.

Roughly 4 X the lumen to appear twice as bright, so that 1000lm to 4000lm to be roughly twice as bright to the eye if makes sense.

It could be just that,maybe expecting too much and the difference is not enough for you(or a faulty unit).

Fenix apparently are bringing out a new tk61 at some point! dont know when.................not sure Fenix do! But they are going to have to step up their game, maybe(hopefully) use the xhp35 HI and outshine the k70! No reason it could not with the HUGE reflector!

Other than that HKe have been reliable for me, if you change your mind on the k70:)

If you want good throw and bright spill, the k60 has a very nice 4500+lm beam. Not as throwy as the UT in spec, but a lot brighter overall......

kj2

Flashaholic
Think you're expectations were to high, indeed. All I know is that it blew my mind, when I turned it on for the first time. And it still does. The difference between the SR52 UT and K70 will be visible. Spec cd rating is so far apart, it must be noticeable.

Artivideo

Newly Enlightened
I will wait until Fenix puts 4 Cree XP-L HI LED in the LD75C since I want a reasonable compact flashlight. The K70/60, TM16 GT, .... are way too massive. By the way at the moment just the homepage of the fenix website works all other pages give an error messages that the server can not be found, so maybe it is end of storey for FENIX ?????

Think you're expectations were to high, indeed. All I know is that it blew my mind, when I turned it on for the first time. And it still does. The difference between the SR52 UT and K70 will be visible. Spec cd rating is so far apart, it must be noticeable.

ven

Flashaholic
Would say server issue , i am sure USPS have had one too over the Easter weekend as several items have disappeared!

Back to Fenix, they are good and strong, very unlikely Artivideo.

kj2

Flashaholic
I will wait until Fenix puts 4 Cree XP-L HI LED in the LD75C since I want a reasonable compact flashlight. The K70/60, TM16 GT, .... are way too massive. By the way at the moment just the homepage of the fenix website works all other pages give an error messages that the server can not be found, so maybe it is end of storey for FENIX ?????
I don't expect Fenix will put those leds, in that body. And it happens often that their site is down.

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my SR52UT arrived today. :) loving it.

At at the moment I'm using 6 x CR123A's, do you all think this would make any difference over running it on 18650's?

Still trying to sort out protected button top 3400 18650's...

kj2

Flashaholic
Output will be the same but 18650s are soooo much cheaper in the long run. Olight offers 18650 batteries, and with those, you know they work in their lights.

jetslipper

Newly Enlightened
Output will be the same but 18650s are soooo much cheaper in the long run. Olight offers 18650 batteries, and with those, you know they work in their lights.
Will using high drain (NCR18650GA, 30Q, VTC6) batteries matter?

jetslipper

Newly Enlightened
Those batteries can provide a higher amperage than others, but if the light doens't 'ask' higher Amps from the batteries, it won't help.
I wonder how much current this light pulls from the 18650 cells. Planning on buying this light but would certainly want to know first what perfect batt to pair with this light.

kj2

Flashaholic
I wonder how much current this light pulls from the 18650 cells. Planning on buying this light but would certainly want to know first what perfect batt to pair with this light.
I used my Eagletac protected 18650's which can handle up to 6A. Never had any issues.