Olight SR90

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
As to the OP's question: The SR90 seems to be purpose built for throw in a semi-compact format. I'm thinking that it's intended competition was compact HID lights in the 10-24w range. can't wait to see how it compares to my Boxer 24.

carrot

Flashaholic
To be honest I didn't notice any tint when playing with the SR90. All I thought when I used it was OH CRAP this thing is bright. If you are looking for something a bit floodier with somewhat less throw the smaller and upcoming Maelstroms will do that. The SR90 is basically a handheld spotlight.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Maybe we're overlooking another use for this light -- as a weapon light. Of course it would only be useful on a "phased-plasma rifle in the 40 watt range."

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened

Thanks Berry and Bronco...

Databyter, I'm not sure what role you anticipated the SR90 was supposed to fill but doesn't the size alone at 13" and 4" diameter provide you some clues? It's not a neck light and it's not a P60 dude. :wave: As Bronco stated, it's the first alternative that we've had for 28W HID lights but with more flexibility and options. I can almost guarantee that had the SR90 turned out to be a flood light without throw capabilities people would have laughed at it.

Like MattK stated in another thread which was reposted here, when you're dealing with with 2000+ lumens large amounts of spill are unavoidable, just like HID. How do HIDers deal with overwhelming hot spot brightness? They add a simple diffuser. Quandary solved.

With relation to the OP's question the answer is obvious from what we know technically and from the few beamshots we've seen. It's a mixture of both, not just a throw light with limited close range capabilities.

Look, the OP asked about the floody Mix, based on what I've seen I don't see it. Now MattK says it's beatiful fine, Now we know, from an unbaised source, But the pics don't show it and that's what I was going on.

And I'm getting annoyed with people taking my statements out of context and patronizing me with them.

I know what the light is for, and I'm not personally concerned with spill one way or the other, nor would I use the light up close, which was MY POINT, I've said the same in this and other threads, so get over it.

Why are you projecting the OP's question on to my uses of this light?

I think she isn't concerned with using it up close either but concerned with the angle and intensity of flood, and as I said it doesn't look floody AT ALL and I stand by that till I see a review.

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Wow...I am the OP....I think I need this light, definately bright with some flood to it. Not a pinpoint beam like my DBS had. Nobogy answered how it would compare to mt Wolf-Eyes Pilot Whale!!!!

stallion2

Enlightened
I'm glas you warned me about the yellow beam. I hate yellow beamed flashlights.

+1:thumbsup:

man, i don't see why some people are so quick to turn their nose up at the yellow tint emitters. personally i'd take neutral white or yellow over warm emitters any day. i purchased a Q4 5A pill from Dereelight this summer and was kinda disappointed. it works great but is far from producing a glare off the plants and trees that could be considered "natural" looking. i don't see the warm tint as being worth the output you give up. second, of all my LED lights the two w/ the most natural appearance when reflected is my Cat, LX2 and Thrunite dropin. everyones eyes are built a little differently so that may be all there is to it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...I am the OP....I think I need this light, definately bright with some flood to it. Not a pinpoint beam like my DBS had. Nobogy answered how it would compare to mt Wolf-Eyes Pilot Whale!!!!

If i could find my camera i could show u but its definitely brighter than the Pilot Whale

LowFlux

Enlightened
I guess I'm new enough to this (and don't venture into the biking light forum often) but 4 lbs, 13" w 4" head, and 2200 lumens seems like an awful lot of light. :eek: Even at the 700 lumen low mode, there are other lights that can put out that much without such a large package - just without the long run-time.

I personally wouldn't want to have a long climb with that much weight up front, but to each their own.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, having a separate head n remote batt pack
is deff better for bikes. the floody d30 howitzer type
beam would be better for DH MTB
that said, if I could I would have one of these
on my helmet!!
bring on the sst90 headlamps!!!!
Im sure you could put enough cooling fins on it
and carrying the battery in yer pack distributes the
weight nicely.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder about the heatsinking of SR90. Is it adequate for running continiously (half an hour or the full runtime) at the high mode?
At the specifications I can read: "Advanced digital power management system". That sounds like another expression for fully regulated?

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
I wonder about the heatsinking of SR90. Is it adequate for running continiously (half an hour or the full runtime) at the high mode?
At the specifications I can read: "Advanced digital power management system". That sounds like another expression for fully regulated?

Regards, Patric

4sevens posted this thread. the numbers are way better than what i think most of us would have anticipated, certainly better than i was thinking.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260621