Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

thank you selfbuild, and can I replace original accumulator in SR 95 with my own protected 18650 cells? Or there are some different pack of batteries? On SP6 I think there can be changed on my own
The Spark SP6 is a different case where the cells are user-replaceable. Olight uses a sealed unit pack (much like a laptop battery pack).

ser1a

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

The Spark SP6 is a different case where the cells are user-replaceable. Olight uses a sealed unit pack (much like a laptop battery pack).
Ok thank you, I ordered SR95 , hope I will be fully satisfied :) Will be my most powerful flashlight..

Landshark99

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the great review, ordered a SR95UT, today should be here Thursday

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here it is, my SR95 UT finally arrived
cool.png

It's a little smaller than the SR90, but still huge compares some of the "biggest" lights I have. Lux measurement came out an astonishing 211,000 lux@ 1 meter (Measured at 10 meters)

Family photo for a size comparison:

Mag 1D, FM3X UT DIY Elephant, FM3V Real Elephant, SR95 UT

dscf2585af.jpg

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

My VPT is the de-domed version and beats my SR95 UT in terms of throw. There is not a big difference between the two, as they are both great throwers.

Seriously! I was about to pull the trigger on a used SR 95 UT as I am very curious as to see the throw of this beast. However after reading the above I also have a VPT2 dedomed and if it cannot beat this I'm seriously reconsidering my purchase of the Olight. Granted it is regulated and can last one and half hours on a single charge it is still twice the price of my current VPT2. This seriously bums me out :( Can anyone else confirm this?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seriously! I was about to pull the trigger on a used SR 95 UT as I am very curious as to see the throw of this beast. However after reading the above I also have a VPT2 dedomed and if it cannot beat this I'm seriously reconsidering my purchase of the Olight. Granted it is regulated and can last one and half hours on a single charge it is still twice the price of my current VPT2. This seriously bums me out :( Can anyone else confirm this?

There will always be variations between super throwers. Some will over perform and some will under perform. My VPT Dedomed SST-90 has been modified to obtain even more lux and it will only beat my Olight SR95UT using 4x Powerex C cells for a short amount of time, as heat kills the performance. Using lesser NIMH cells will yield significantly lower results. Perhaps this is unique to my unit, but it i highly improbable. If you require ultimate throw, then you will need a SR90 moded with an SBT-90.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

There will always be variations between super throwers. Some will over perform and some will under perform. My VPT Dedomed SST-90 has been modified to obtain even more lux and it will only beat my Olight SR95UT using 4x Powerex C cells for a short amount of time, as heat kills the performance. Using lesser NIMH cells will yield significantly lower results. Perhaps this is unique to my unit, but it i highly improbable. If you require ultimate throw, then you will need a SR90 moded with an SBT-90.

What did u do to modify your VPT2? I run Tenergy LSD C cells. Do the powerex cells give that much real world noticible improved brightness to the beam? I think my SR90 for comparison is an older model. Even that being dedomed can't quite keep up with my VPT2. Looking at selfbilts pics though, it looks like the SR95UT blows the newer SR95 away on throw. U must have one superior Lambda light.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

What did u do to modify your VPT2? I run Tenergy LSD C cells. Do the powerex cells give that much real world noticible improved brightness to the beam? I think my SR90 for comparison is an older model. Even that being dedomed can't quite keep up with my VPT2. Looking at selfbilts pics though, it looks like the SR95UT blows the newer SR95 away on throw. U must have one superior Lambda light.

Let me start by saying that Kevin does some fine work with all he's lights and I for one thank him for doing so. There isn't a lot you can do to improve throw, but I am a firm believer that every little helps. A small improvement by itself is still just a small improvement. However when you put a few small improvements together, it equals a big smiley face :) I would agree that after a few modifications, my VPT dedome is my further throwing LED light.

4 x LSD NIMH C cells are not the best for this type of light. Should you wish to use LSD, then the best method for using this type of cell would be to use a longer body to accommodate 4 x LSD NIMH D cells. As this is not an option for many of us. It is better to use PowerEx C cells or Tenergy Premium C cells which will send the light into overdrive.

I am not going to go into detail about the improvements as this we are going off topic. I can confirm that the Olight SR95UT does throw further than the SR90 and SR95 and is my go to light.

Pedalman

Newly Enlightened

I just joined the forum and have been reading posts and reviews on here for many days , Your reviews are as good as they get and being impatient I ordered a SR95 today from a retailer in the south of England £289 including next day insured carriage by royal mail.......The same shop has the SR95UT at the same price ! BUT was out of stock.
Ah well Ive taken the plunge and bought a light , I wonder how long it will be until I want another one ??? and another and then :thinking: just one more .

Interhead

Newly Enlightened

Hi. Just orderd my first Olight SR 95. looks extreme. Also I need a good thrower that is a bit smaler so am trying out Conqueror MX-008[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS]. [/FONT]

svgiles

Newly Enlightened

Remarkable review! Thank you!
Is it bad for the battery to leave it charging all time
I would love to get the SR95 but would like to store it with the charger plugged in so that it will always be ready to use at full power.
Thanks again for your review and any help you can provide!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Is it bad for the battery to leave it charging all time
I would love to get the SR95 but would like to store it with the charger plugged in so that it will always be ready to use at full power.
Thanks again for your review and any help you can provide!
That would be a bad idea, for any rechargeable light.

A "good" charger would terminate completely once fully charged, so there would be no benefit to leaving it plugged in (i.e., it does not start re-charging on its own). A "bad" charger would drop to a low "trickle-charge" - which, depending on its current charge level would slowly (or quickly) cook your batteries. Same goes for chargers and individual batteries - they should always be pulled from the charging unit once charging is terminated.

In any case, there's no need to worry about this with Li-ions - they have remarkably low self-discharge rates, and will remain stable for years/decades.

The one wrinkle in this specific case is the standby current draw of the electronic switch on the SR-series lights. But it is so low (i.e., I measured it around 50uA on my sample) that it would take years/decades to drain the battery pack anyway. If you are worried about it, you could always break this current by storing the light with the head locked out. Given the spring, that would required roughly a full turn of the head away from the handle (basically, just keep turning until the light will no longer activate on a button press). That way your light is fully locked out, and any self-discharge would be so minimal as to be completely negligible.

Oh, and :welcome:

svgiles

Newly Enlightened

That would be a bad idea, for any rechargeable light.

A "good" charger would terminate completely once fully charged, so there would be no benefit to leaving it plugged in (i.e., it does not start re-charging on its own). A "bad" charger would drop to a low "trickle-charge" - which, depending on its current charge level would slowly (or quickly) cook your batteries. Same goes for chargers and individual batteries - they should always be pulled from the charging unit once charging is terminated.

In any case, there's no need to worry about this with Li-ions - they have remarkably low self-discharge rates, and will remain stable for years/decades.

The one wrinkle in this specific case is the standby current draw of the electronic switch on the SR-series lights. But it is so low (i.e., I measured it around 50uA on my sample) that it would take years/decades to drain the battery pack anyway. If you are worried about it, you could always break this current by storing the light with the head locked out. Given the spring, that would required roughly a full turn of the head away from the handle (basically, just keep turning until the light will no longer activate on a button press). That way your light is fully locked out, and any self-discharge would be so minimal as to be completely negligible.

Oh, and :welcome:

Thank you for this helpful response! Your reviews are very addictive. I can't stop reading them!!
I do have one more question. I saw someone selling an SR95 with a spare battery pack. Would an extra battery pack have a long shelf life if it was not used or charged for a very long period of time? I am wondering if it is worth it to get an extra battery pack just to have around for emergencies even though it most likely rarely be used.
Thanks again! You are amazing!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I saw someone selling an SR95 with a spare battery pack. Would an extra battery pack have a long shelf life if it was not used or charged for a very long period of time? I am wondering if it is worth it to get an extra battery pack just to have around for emergencies even though it most likely rarely be used.
Yes, a spare battery pack would have a very long shelf-life. If you browse around the batteries subforum here, you will find lots of helpful tips for Li-ions. It's typically recommended you store any Li-ion at something lower than its max charge state - apparently, this is better for the long-term health of the cell(s). Once fully charged, I typically run my cells in a light on max for a few mins, to drain off some charge, before long-term storage (although the experts prefer an even lower level).

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

3.84 to 3.85 Volts per cell is what all the experts over on RC Groups Forum use. Many of the die-hards will do this just for the 5 days between weekend uses.