Olight SR96 ?

Roga_Danar

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine today as well. Wow. This thing is a monster! I owned and used the SR90 (was one of the battery junction preorders years back) pretty extensively for about a year as a security guard out at a remote pumping station in the Everglades and really loved that light until selling it, which I regretted to this day. Not anymore! This is an amazing replacement to the SR92 and I prefer it to the SR90 as well. This thing lights up a huge area and does it very well thanks to the extremely high output. I have a TM11 that has been my king flood light for a while now, but this light is on another level altogether. Obviously the TM11 is still awesome due to its size to output ration but the SR96 is my new favorite light! Thanks Olight!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not crazy about the form factor. It may be is nit-picking, but for me the head and reflector assembly looks rather clunky and unattractive. Also, with such a large head I think there's plenty of room to make the individual reflectors a little bigger and perhaps a bit deeper for better throw - either that or make the head smaller altogether. I'm waiting to see the Supbeam x60. :ironic:

Is the Supbeam X60 going to have an "off" position on the control ring?

It is a must from my experiences with many versions of the Thrunite TN30/TN31 series and the OMG DEFT-X or other modded ones like the OSTS TN31mb etc.

It is far too awkward to control the light using the rear switch in this size of light.

Some of the TN31 lookalikes in the Supbeam series don't have an "off" position, why they don't puzzles me.

Maybe they have a continuously variable control ring with no steps from what I recall.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Is the Supbeam X60 going to have an "off" position on the control ring?

It is a must from my experiences with many versions of the Thrunite TN30/TN31 series and the OMG DEFT-X or other modded ones like the OSTS TN31mb etc.

It is far too awkward to control the light using the rear switch in this size of light.

Some of the TN31 lookalikes in the Supbeam series don't have an "off" position, why they don't puzzles me.

Maybe they have a continuously variable control ring with no steps from what I recall.

CHEERS

I contacted Supbeam and they said the X60 should be out by the beginning of next month. I agree with your comments about the switch though. Getting back to the SR96 - it seems they could have fit in another led assembly with all the dead space there is now. It seems rather a waste of the available area to me. But then, it might be a heat dissipation issue. Either way, I personally don't like the way it looks. Cheers. :)

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Okay - so I've just got mine too! I live in the UK, but ordered it from Battery Junction (great service!), as apparently Olight distribution in the UK is not great - still not available! Could this mean that I'm the first in the UK to own one?!

Anyhoo - it's a fantastic light, and is easily replacing my Nitecore TM26 as main walking light.

The SR90 was a 'monster' - but ever since the SR95, they've been streamlining the design, and I find it emminently compact and carryable. I used to dangle the TM26 off one shoulder with one clip on a looped shoulder strap - I'm simply dangling the SR96 in the same way, as it falls directly to hand.

Because of my commitment to the SR series, I now have about three spare battery packs, given the defunct status of the SR90, SR92 (and others!).

Beam-wise, I of course love it - and it is indeed a noticably different story to the TM26's 3500 Lumens. This is football floodlight territory!

Also - I'm now not too bothered that it will ramp down from 4800 to 2400 Lumens after 5/10 mins, as I find that I'd only personally ever use the top-end as a 'burst' mode - so I'll never really come against the ramp-down limitation. The instructions confirm a timed ramp-down.

I use it on Low (450L) the most for walking, and bump to Medium (1500L) if a foreign vista opens up to me.

I certainly do feel 'safe' with this about me!

This is the perfect companion to the SR95 - between the two, one has the full complement!

Arif

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay - so I've just got mine too! I live in the UK, but ordered it from Battery Junction (great service!), as apparently Olight distribution in the UK is not great - still not available! Could this mean that I'm the first in the UK to own one?!

Anyhoo - it's a fantastic light, and is easily replacing my Nitecore TM26 as main walking light.

The SR90 was a 'monster' - but ever since the SR95, they've been streamlining the design, and I find it emminently compact and carryable. I used to dangle the TM26 off one shoulder with one clip on a looped shoulder strap - I'm simply dangling the SR96 in the same way, as it falls directly to hand.

Because of my commitment to the SR series, I now have about three spare battery packs, given the defunct status of the SR90, SR92 (and others!).

Beam-wise, I of course love it - and it is indeed a noticably different story to the TM26's 3500 Lumens. This is football floodlight territory!

Also - I'm now not too bothered that it will ramp down from 4800 to 2400 Lumens after 5/10 mins, as I find that I'd only personally ever use the top-end as a 'burst' mode - so I'll never really come against the ramp-down limitation. The instructions confirm a timed ramp-down.

I use it on Low (450L) the most for walking, and bump to Medium (1500L) if a foreign vista opens up to me.

I certainly do feel 'safe' with this about me!

This is the perfect companion to the SR95 - between the two, one has the full complement!

Arif

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase.

Olight and Fenix put out great products.

I still have an older SR90 with 2 batteries.

It was "king" for quite a while and many lights were stacked up against it as a measure of throw and lumens (sort of a benchmark).

I wonder what the current capacity is in these two older SR90 battery packs as I have not used them that much.

That SR96 should light up a vast amount of terrain.

Normally for walking I use my Fenix TK75 (Version 1. Not XM-L2 LEDs) set on the second lowest setting of about 400 lumens and then I bump it up if I need it to the next level of 1100 lumens to check something out in more detail.

I rarely use 2600 lumens except for fun mostly.

The old Olight SR90 is so heavy and bulky but it was great when nothing else matched it in those days.

I hope it gives you much fun and turns out to be a really worthwhile investment.

Let us know your thoughts on how bulky or heavy it gets in general use.

CHEERS

Last edited:

HIDSGT

Enlightened
Also - I'm now not too bothered that it will ramp down from 4800 to 2400 Lumens after 5/10 mins
I left mine on for (15) minutes the other nite and it was still at full brightness. of course its pretty dam cold here but cant be too warm over there either in the UK tho so id say the 5-10 minute ramp down applies to when its really hot out. considering its miserably cold most of year here I see it as a non-issue.

I have never kept my light on for more then (5) str8 minutes at work but if walking at nite I cud see havn it on longer but who really needs 5000 lumes to walk their dog? im pretty sure 1500 lumens would do the trick just fine and if u needed to bump it up for a few minutes then thats always an option.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left mine on for (15) minutes the other nite and it was still at full brightness. of course its pretty dam cold here but cant be too warm over there either in the UK tho so id say the 5-10 minute ramp down applies to when its really hot out. considering its miserably cold most of year here I see it as a non-issue.

I have never kept my light on for more then (5) str8 minutes at work but if walking at nite I cud see havn it on longer but who really needs 5000 lumes to walk their dog? im pretty sure 1500 lumens would do the trick just fine and if u needed to bump it up for a few minutes then thats always an option.

I thought the ramping down was time controlled without taking into account what the ambient or running body temperature of the light was.

500 to 1000 lumens is plenty for walking most nights in my experience unless you were in complete darkness in the bush with no ambient light whatsoever.

Much more than that usually bounces back at the user from most floodlights that I have used.

I do have some street lighting around my area.

I just like to see trip hazards clearly within about 5 metres with plenty of side spill to check what may be lurking on the roadsides.

The SR96 is not the prettiest light Olight has made but it appears to do the job well.

The Supbeam X60 looks to be a competitor to the SR96 that has more throw.

It will be interesting to see a review of it when it is finally released.

Basic facts for Supbeam X60 are below.

5000 lumens
700M throw
5 x Cree XM-L2 LEDs
6 x 18650 Li-ion cells for versatility of battery capacites and rotation of sets of cells and checking individual cell voltages every now and then.
charging port on tail end

CHEERS

HIDSGT

Enlightened
id agree that the SR96 is not the prettiest light ive ever seen but not really an issue for me. more interested in performance then looks but I here ya. not sure on the time controlled ramp down. I left it on for quite a while and it was still at full brightness.

im thinkn the X60 will be a nice happy medium. shud be here within a week or so. just got an email stating it will ship in the next week with priority shipping which is 3-4 days from ship date. yea the SR96 throws about 300 yrds and the X60 700 so it shud have more of a hot spot and less flood. I like the flood tho if thats what ppl want to call it cause with how far it throws its hard for me to call it a flood light.

I thought the ramping down was time controlled without taking into account what the ambient or running body temperature of the light was.

500 to 1000 lumens is plenty for walking most nights in my experience unless you were in complete darkness in the bush with no ambient light whatsoever.

Much more than that usually bounces back at the user from most floodlights that I have used.

I do have some street lighting around my area.

I just like to see trip hazards clearly within about 5 metres with plenty of side spill to check what may be lurking on the roadsides.

The SR96 is not the prettiest light Olight has made but it appears to do the job well.

The Supbeam X60 looks to be a competitor to the SR96 that has more throw.

It will be interesting to see a review of it when it is finally released.

Basic facts for Supbeam X60 are below.

5000 lumens
700M throw
5 x Cree XM-L2 LEDs
6 x 18650 Li-ion cells for versatility of battery capacites and rotation of sets of cells and checking individual cell voltages every now and then.
charging port on tail end

CHEERS

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks hidsgt

Would appreciate a few comparison pics if possible please.

Get paid on Thursday and not sure which to go for

HIDSGT

Enlightened
Thanks hidsgt

Would appreciate a few comparison pics if possible please.

Get paid on Thursday and not sure which to go for
shud arrive by the end of next week. shipping out sunday according to the email I got this morning. ill try to get some beam shots as soon as I can. probably gonna send it out for a boost upgrade from Vinh as soon as I get it tho. keeping the domes on tho cause I still want some spill so as soon as I get it back ill post some pics.

Last edited:

rdljr1

Newly Enlightened
SGTHID:

Did you even CONSIDER buying an SR92 vs. the others?

I am looking to get the BIGGEST baddest all-around light (resasonable) money can afford, and one of these SR's is it.

I have a sunwayman 40cs as my thrower light right now, and it will reach out to maybe 200yds max. and only rated to 700 lumen, so it's not really comparable here.
I'd like to see my next light throw to at least 300yds, but also have a more respectable, and Usable Flood capability.

The SR95 is off the list, due to it's narrowly focused beam.

Looking at the beam spreads of the SR92 vs. the SR96, I know the 92 is going to reach-out just a bit better....but I'm really tempted by the
overall Lumen Output and shear Holy Sh!t factor of the SR96.

Anybody care to comment on the comparison of the two beams to get me over the top and cloesr to the purchase??

thanks,
gr

I know a lot of people on here love the SR96, but I was underwhelmed by it and I sent it back. It was a nice light, don't get me wrong. Well built as usual by Olight, crazy turbo level, nice overall beam color and profile and tons of flood, which I love, but it's throw was so underwhelming for a light of this size, I couldn't justify keeping it. Mainly because I have an SR92, which the SR96 was supposed to replace for me. I truly find the SR92 a better bang for your buck all around. Ya the SR96 can get up over 4000 lumens, but you don't even get an hours worth of runtime out of it at that level, so it's not all that practical (not that that means anything to a pure flashaholic :)_ ). And the throw is just horrible. I knew it wouldn't be as much as the SR92, but it was awful. For a pure flood light, I much prefer my Zebralight S6330. And THAT might even have more throw that the SR96 based on my naked eye. For a light that is a third of the size to essentially give me the same performance... I wish Olight would update the SR96 with slightly deeper reflectors to pull a bit more throw out of it. I love flood but I'd sacrifice a bit if they could crank out more throw. The SR92 has essentially the same total beam size as the SR96. The SR92 being more a nice hot spot and tons of bright spill/flood, and the SR96 being that wall of light. The SR92 may be the perfect combination of throw and flood, for me atleast. I also love the beam profile of the Nitecore TM26, which is basically just one gigantic hot spot with decent throw, and I guess I was hoping that the SR96 would be the same but a bit floodier. Wishful thinking I guess. I want to contact Olight and ask if they'd ever update the SR92 with an updated battery (which I already did), an extra level, improved weight and heat properties of the new SR models, and obviously upgraded led's. Again, wishful thinking. But for my 2 cents, I had to stick with the SR92 over the SR96...

HIDSGT

Enlightened
I know a lot of people on here love the SR96, but I was underwhelmed by it and I sent it back. It was a nice light, don't get me wrong. Well built as usual by Olight, crazy turbo level, nice overall beam color and profile and tons of flood, which I love, but it's throw was so underwhelming for a light of this size, I couldn't justify keeping it. Mainly because I have an SR92, which the SR96 was supposed to replace for me. I truly find the SR92 a better bang for your buck all around. Ya the SR96 can get up over 4000 lumens, but you don't even get an hours worth of runtime out of it at that level, so it's not all that practical (not that that means anything to a pure flashaholic :)_ ). And the throw is just horrible. I knew it wouldn't be as much as the SR92, but it was awful. For a pure flood light, I much prefer my Zebralight S6330. And THAT might even have more throw that the SR96 based on my naked eye. For a light that is a third of the size to essentially give me the same performance... I wish Olight would update the SR96 with slightly deeper reflectors to pull a bit more throw out of it. I love flood but I'd sacrifice a bit if they could crank out more throw. The SR92 has essentially the same total beam size as the SR96. The SR92 being more a nice hot spot and tons of bright spill/flood, and the SR96 being that wall of light. The SR92 may be the perfect combination of throw and flood, for me atleast. I also love the beam profile of the Nitecore TM26, which is basically just one gigantic hot spot with decent throw, and I guess I was hoping that the SR96 would be the same but a bit floodier. Wishful thinking I guess. I want to contact Olight and ask if they'd ever update the SR92 with an updated battery (which I already did), an extra level, improved weight and heat properties of the new SR models, and obviously upgraded led's. Again, wishful thinking. But for my 2 cents, I had to stick with the SR92 over the SR96...
so u shud have sent it to Vinh and have it de-domed then. no need to return. and the zebra light doesn't even come remotely close to comparing to the SR96.

yes the throw cud be better from factory but for search and rescue its hard to beat this light design for those looking for people within 50-75 yards in the woods or a field. great throw looks impressive when shining at power lines 500 yards away but really doesn't serve a purpose since the eye can only see so far anyway and who cares if a light lights up something 500 yards away when you need to see 100 yards away.

I hear ya on the battery runtime tho. id like to see 80-90 minutes myself on high setting.

just like the SR95S. its a great throwing light but pretty much useless within a 100 yards which is where most people need a light to see effectively.

Last edited:

rdljr1

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you that it's a good light but for its size it should be able to out throw my Zebralight SC6330. Yes the 4000+ lumens is nice but when you use it at a more functional level like the 1500 lumen level, it is pretty much on par with my SC6330 at its 1100 lumen level. If much rather tote around the tiny SC6330 than the SR96. The run time at that level is obviously the plus for the 96 over the SC6330 on its 1100 lumen level, but my point is that it should still crush the SC6330 based on the size and price, and it just doesn't. The beam profiles are similar, almost the same flood pattern, and I swear the SC6330 out throws it at the comparable lumen levels. They obviously measure the peak throw for the 96 on the turbo level, that no one will use for any length of time. The throw is atrocious on this thing on more usable levels for its enormous size. The SR 92 has the same size total beam size/coverage as the SR96, just with a tighter hot spot. At 1700 lumens for the 92 and 1500 for the 96, the 92 dominates it. Same amount of brightness in the spill/total beam for the 92 as the 96, with the only difference being the tight hot spot on the 92 that will actually reach out for some distance. Why "upgrade" to a flashlight that has the same close range and overall beam coverage, but Lose the ability to see out to reasonable distances when I need to? I use my flashlight to walk my dogs in the woods at night, so I definitely prefer a floodier type light. I had high hopes for the SR96. I was going to sell the 92 after getting it. But for me it just didn't meet expectations. I don't want to haul around a huge light if I can't see out past 100 yards unless I bump it up to turbo. I really hope they can fine tune thus light a bit because I love the floody beam profile of it. Like I said, a beam profile similar to the TM26, which is basically just a gigantic hot spot, with the same amount of throw, but just a larger size beam would be ideal, IMHO. I think that Olight left a lot on the table with this light. I still feel the SR92 is a better more functional light than the SR96, which was my main point, but to each his own. Bottom line is if you love it and it does what you expect it to do, that's all that matters. I just couldn't justify $300+ on a light that didn't meet my expectations.

Arif

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase.

Olight and Fenix put out great products.

I still have an older SR90 with 2 batteries.

It was "king" for quite a while and many lights were stacked up against it as a measure of throw and lumens (sort of a benchmark).

I wonder what the current capacity is in these two older SR90 battery packs as I have not used them that much.

That SR96 should light up a vast amount of terrain.

Normally for walking I use my Fenix TK75 (Version 1. Not XM-L2 LEDs) set on the second lowest setting of about 400 lumens and then I bump it up if I need it to the next level of 1100 lumens to check something out in more detail.

I rarely use 2600 lumens except for fun mostly.

The old Olight SR90 is so heavy and bulky but it was great when nothing else matched it in those days.

I hope it gives you much fun and turns out to be a really worthwhile investment.

Let us know your thoughts on how bulky or heavy it gets in general use.

CHEERS

Hey thanks dude - sorry for such a late reply!

I think the older battery packs stay good as long as we follow their advice of topping up a stored (or any) pack at least once a Quarter.

I did indeed find the SR90 quite hefty, enough so to warrant the shoulder strap - but since the SR95, they've streamlined the design, & even more so with the SR96 - such that I'm happy to carry it normally even. I find it really well balanced, love the design (it's the TK75's sharp cut-off that I always found visually awkward) - & as a result it's an extremely practical everyday walking light.

Hwy115

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,
Light Junction has a Cyber Monday sale. You can get 30% off the $349 list price.
Steve

decooney

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,
Light Junction has a Cyber Monday sale. You can get 30% off the $349 list price.
Steve

Yep. Snagged me one. The codes came out Sunday, and could not pass it up - i've been looking for a super floody power light like this. Sold my SR51 a while back and regretted ever since. It will be nice to have another nice O'light again. My Fenix TK70 does well as my thrower, but I'm hoping this SR96 is as floody as everyone complains it is.

Hwy115

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty new to flashlight collecting. I was a NYC Cop for 20 years and was very happy when the kryptonite bulb came out for my maglight, then I went on the the streamlight rechargeables in D size. In my last 5 years otj (1998-2002) I found lots of nice lights (Streamlights and Surefires) coming out and Cops jumped on them. The lights that are coming out now were never dreamed of when I was on the job. During 911 some companies did contribute their products free of charge and I have to tell you we were impressed. Guys who would never have bought these lights on their own were spurred to buy them when they saw them in action. For purposes of Law enforcement in an urban area, hiking, walking trails, close tactical protection, home protection, etc you need more of a floody than a thrower. This light is amazing! I lit up the drivers side of my car and it was the closest thing to reminded me of aviation (from a distance) lighting me up on car stops. If you are out in the plains, large flat areas, light up far away structures, light objects from long distances etc a thrower is what you want. Even the Going Gear Guy called it one of his favorite lights of all time on his video review. I cannot imagine how many lights this guy has tested over the years.
Steve

Last edited:

decooney

Newly Enlightened
... Even the Going Gear Guy called it one of his favorite lights of all time on his video review. I cannot imagine how many lights this guy has tested over the years.
Steve

I watch Marshall's videos quite a bit and consider his reviews and points before buying any of the mainstream lights. What I like about his comments with regard to the SR96 is what he considers usable light. I'm in the same situation where seeing beyond a football field is not what I commonly need to do when out walking the dogs in a large area, etc. If you watch is video comparing the SR96 and the end part where he breaks out the SR95UT light, there is no comparison. The 95 has tiny hot spot too far away to see across the lake and the SR96 floods a large footprint which is much more usable to me for 90% of the time I'm out needing a flashlight. He sure tests a lot of lights and seems to remain to be objective given all the different lights they sell.