On the fence about Surefire AA outdoorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also a footnote about that too, 5.5 hours is the tactical runtime (to 50 lumens) figure that SureFire gave me. I guess I should make it more clear, but I can't fit "Tactical Runtime" into the space where it currently says "Hours." Total Hours is the 9 hours to 1 lumen (also the figure on SureFire's website).

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I suppose that a more conservative place to end the alkaline runtime would be 4:00, but it does run to 5:00 without issue.

Being it uses AA batteries I don't really care if it's 4 or 5 hours, lol :)

Lapetus

Banned
You can't even sell this thing on run time.

If you look up other 2 x AA lights, especially on Eneloops you can get better run times. Oh and more modes, less than half the cost, brighter max mode etc

Sounds like the OP wanted one anyway, rather than looking for opinions either way.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire doesn't sell on either runtime or brightness. Superior quality and no hassle warranty are important factors.
The feeling of holding a Surefire is very nice. Surefire does it's job, and so very well. It's all a matter of personal preference and some people like Surefire and find them worth the price, I belong to them.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
appliancejunk, good choice with the E2L AA. I just love mine.

One thing I noticed about Surefire is that they always seem brighter than a competition brand that advertises either the same lumen output as Surefire or maybe even a higher lumen output than Surefire. I have found some of my other Chinese made lights advertised with a much higher lumen output to somehow appear the same in brightness to one of the Surefire with a lower output. Weird but true. Let's take Jetbeam BA20 as an example. I bought that for a friend of mine. The BA20 was advertised to put out 270 lumen. I ran the BA20 on fresh L91 lithium batts and could not see a difference between it and the 80 lumen Surefire E2L AA that is running on half-used L91 lithium. Heck, even the Fenix E21 appears the same in brightness as the E2L AA! What more can I say?

And guess what? All my Surefire lights have the nicest creamy white tint never seen in any of my Chinese made lights which are usually yellowish, greenish, or bluish.

And like others have mentioned, Surefire engineering and machining just feels so right. No additional bumps or protrusion when not needed. Maybe I could say Surefire have a streamlined design. One thing I could not stand about Chinese made lights are the aesthetics. Either too boxy or too much sharp edges. Like what a friend of mine commented when he saw my Fenix TA21, "They just have too much aluminum in China!" Anyway, I hated the TA21 so much I sold it. The UI is horrible and noisy, and the combat grip ring just feels so very uncomfortable to use and hold onto with all the sharp edges. What's with these Chinese designers anyway? What were they thinking when they designed such a combat grip ring?

Anyway, I have had the E2L AA since December last year and till date I have only changed out the batteries once. Just got to love it for the long run time on L91 lithiums.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are paying $180 for E2L-AA, feel free to add $30 for lx2, it definitely worths
And grab a few 16340,
7670 seldom fits
BTW: Dealer always sell their surefire @ a lower price,
For my local store, its official retail price with 20% off

Kraft

Newly Enlightened
This is just my two cents:

I have an old Surefire Centurion C3 that I threw a Malkoff M61N into. I beat that C3 body to hell for years before I installed the M61 drop in. The build quality of the SureFire is for real. It's one of my favorite lights even @ $1.30 per CR123 (CR123's do have certain advantages btw). Anyways, I recently called them about the switch sticking, by the time I hung up a new C3 head, tail switch assembly, belt clip, cigar grip, and o-rings were on their way - no charge.

Last week I decided to try a couple of inexpensive SolarForce L2T's and some Lumens Factory XP-G R5's as glove box / tool box back up lights. The switches were very stiff so I had to dissemble them and heat the tiny internal springs. Next the bezels cut off so much of the spill / flood that you seriously wondered what they were thinking so I had to order (plus shipping) two B1 flat bezels to regain beam spread. Then the tail cap o-rings (after a generous application of Nyogel 760G) on one has a nice cut in it and the other twists up after removing the tail cap - wonder what it looks like with cap screwed on? For all the hassle and additional minor costs that I will incur making them reliable I could have (should have) gone a different route.
(Don't get me started on the color temp & lousy fill of the inexpensive Lumens Factory drop-ins. After being spoiled with a Malkoff Wildcat Neutral tint and a M61Neutral tint plus honest lumen output rating and generous fill / spill I feel as though I bought a couple of $2.99 multiganged led lights. I've since had to install two Luminit 5º diffusion filters onto the L2T's to help the Lumen Factory drop-in's fill out their watered down beam fill and too hot center spot).

So if you want a SureFire, and you think it will make you happy, then by all means do it - I can't see how you could go wrong. Why spend 60% of your money to get 50% of what you really want?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guess that answers my other question about if Fenix are made in the USA like Surefire. Made in USA or not a good light is a good light, but I feel it is a little bit of a plus that a light is made in the USA, but then again I live in the United State. With that being said I would love to try and Fenix someday and probably will soon.

Performance, warranty, brand, price, etc.. all put aside I think as flashaholics we all understand it's about what we want and what we want now. :)

Fenix lights are indeed Made in China. They are far better than the average Made in China light you'll find in some Brick & Mortar shops for just a handful of dollars. I own a few Fenix models. The quality is indeed very good. As good as SureFire? No. I own nearly 2 dozen SureFire lights and in a head-to-head comparison with Fenix, the SureFires are better quality overall. Once again, Fenix makes very good quality lights. If you want something better than "very good," go with SureFire. Klarus hasn't been around long enough. But initial impressions by CPFers seems to be quite good. JetBeam over the years has suffered from occasional teething issues. Good overall. They got a bit better after getting rid of those ridiculously fragile retaining rings in their tailcaps. JetBeam was using plastic, while other Made in China brands were using metal.

Personally, I have yet to find a Made in China brand that could outperform SureFire in terms of quality, reliability, and durability. That doesn't mean I don't own or use lights from those brands. My main keychain light for the last several months has been an iTP A3 EOS. (SureFire doesn't make a quality AAA light that can do keychain duty.) I'll soon be replacing the iTP with a Peak LED Solutions (American company) AAA Eiger on my keychain. The Eiger is only one mode. In terms of output, the iTP is better because it has 3 modes, and high-end is fantastically bright for such a tiny light. However, I think I'd rather have a more durable light on my keychain. Even if output takes a hit.

It's all about knowing what you want. There are definitely quite a few Made in China models I would recommend to others, if those lights would meet their needs. In fact, I've recommended the iTP A3 EOS numerous times on both CPF, and EDCF forums.

BTW, I've found that I can save a great deal of money by buying quality Made in America CR123 cells online and in bulk. The No-Name Made in China CR123s are often cheap and dangerous junk that can cause a light to vent with flame. (And a great deal of flame!) Buying American made CR123 cells online is the best way to save money. For example, the same $9.oo+tax Energizer CR123 cell at Rite-Aid can be bought online at Lighthound.com (excellent reputation among CPFers) for $1.50 each. Okay, there's still shipping charges. But that's why you buy in bulk. Depending on how many you buy, you can get them for less than $1.50 each.

I've saved a small fortune by buying my quality CR123s online and in bulk.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is good by smplicity(or an excuse for them to make high profit, like zippo; different point of view)
Jetbeam couldve been the Surefire of chinese, but the issues of lights were never solved, preflash since rrt series, up till now

Lapetus

Banned
I recently called them about the switch sticking, by the time I hung up a new C3 head, tail switch assembly, belt clip, cigar grip, and o-rings were on their way - no charge.

There was a charge! A rather large one that you paid at the initial time of purchase. I would rather pay a reasonable price when purchasing, then pay for a repair IF it is needed.

Sweet deal they have going for themselves though I have to admit. Overcharge like mad then claim credit for having a no questions asked warranty on cheap replacements like switches, and everyone loves you for it! Even the people who never claimed the warranty and just paid over the odds for nothing! :crackup:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens firesword & olight sr90, hates lithium primaries & surefires <analyzing writing style & smiley usage>... :thinking:

:eek:

Welcome back uknewbie! It's always good to read a continual dissenting opinion.

I just purchased a Surefire AA Outdoorsman this morning. I have had many Surefire lights over the years and loved all of them except for the cr123 batteries. I ended up selling all of my Surefires over the years and my favorit was the other outdoorsman models they had. I have not owned a Surefire for about four years now and really looking forward to getting this one.

Congrats on the E2L-AA. SureFire's aren't for everyone, but those who understand & appreciate their advantages seem to love them, & you got a great deal on that one. Runtime is incredible too. I'm hoping they sell enough of this model to justify a single AA version soon. Should be great.

Acid87

Enlightened
Must say this same argument and bickering is tiresome and repeated in nearly every Surefire thread. There will always be someone who doesn't appreciate Surefire lights for whatever reason who cares.

What I'm more interested in is has the OP received his light yet? If he has how does he find it?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Must say this same argument and bickering is tiresome and repeated in nearly every Surefire thread. There will always be someone who doesn't appreciate Surefire lights for whatever reason who cares.

What I'm more interested in is has the OP received his light yet? If he has how does he find it?

Not yet, won't be here for 2-3 days I would guess, Monday is a holiday here so no mail. :(
I will be sure to post some thoughts on the light once I receive it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I don't know much about Fenix, are they made in the United State like Surefire?
Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta, TNVC (and probably one or two more that I forgot) are made in USA. Fenix is Chinese as are most of the other lights that look like Surefire.

Lapetus

Banned
Elektrolumens firesword & olight sr90, hates lithium primaries & surefires <analyzing writing style & smiley usage>... :thinking:

:eek:

Welcome back uknewbie! It's always good to read a continual dissenting opinion.

Congrats on the E2L-AA. SureFire's aren't for everyone, but those who understand & appreciate their advantages seem to love them, & you got a great deal on that one. Runtime is incredible too. I'm hoping they sell enough of this model to justify a single AA version soon. Should be great.

WTF? You ought to keep "analyzing" genius. Also, what do you do, change your opinion thread by thread just for the sake of a change?

Runtime is anything but "incredible" if you ask me.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my E2LAA. I put a flip up diffuser on it and it makes a great utility / camping / emergency light. I don't edc it due to size, but for all other purposes, it's great and very versatile.

Kraft

Newly Enlightened
There was a charge! A rather large one that you paid at the initial time of purchase. I would rather pay a reasonable price when purchasing, then pay for a repair IF it is needed.

Sweet deal they have going for themselves though I have to admit. Overcharge like mad then claim credit for having a no questions asked warranty on cheap replacements like switches, and everyone loves you for it! Even the people who never claimed the warranty and just paid over the odds for nothing! :crackup:
Are your laughing at American jobs? or paying a living wage? You would think that by now most folks understand the high cost of cheap labor. I think you may have stopped at the novelty of believing you've figured out some 'scam' and didn't think the rest through. I wonder what the value of my old C3 is worth in comparison to an equally old Chinese made body, not to mention what I could sell all the brand new parts they sent for?

still laughing?

Lapetus

Banned
Are your laughing at American jobs? or paying a living wage? You would think that by now most folks understand the high cost of cheap labor. I think you may have stopped at the novelty of believing you've figured out some 'scam' and didn't think the rest through. I wonder what the value of my old C3 is worth in comparison to an equally old Chinese made body, not to mention what I could sell all the brand new parts they sent for?

still laughing?

Yes. OK, let me think.

Surefire employ a few hundred people in the USA. Population of USA, 312 million.

You think you are contributing to "paying a living wage" or Surefire's tens of millions of pounds profit?

Anyway, I pay the price I think a product is worth, not for political reasons. Also, why would you rather support USA jobs than Chinese or Japanese ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts