On the fence about Surefire AA outdoorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapetus

Banned
But the ones in the same country does make good products and has good service. :confused:

In that case, great.

The point I was making is I would not lend extra support to a company, just because they are in the same country as me, whilst showing extra reluctance to use a foreign company, which I tend to get a feel of on here a lot, especially when USA companies are mentioned.

Kraft

Newly Enlightened
Yes. OK, let me think.

Surefire employ a few hundred people in the USA. Population of USA, 312 million.

You think you are contributing to "paying a living wage" or Surefire's tens of millions of pounds profit?

Anyway, I pay the price I think a product is worth, not for political reasons. Also, why would you rather support USA jobs than Chinese or Japanese ones?
You make a good point without realizing it - You do pay the price a product is worth, one way or another. Every dollar, eruo, pound, krone, real, franc, yuan, peso, rupee, baht, rouble, dirham etc. you spend actually is a political vote. Often it's the only one you have that counts.

And, no, although it is difficult not to we shouldn't support slave labor no matter where it is practiced. What goes around usually has a way of coming back around.

Last edited:

Acid87

Enlightened
Bored of this pissing contest. Can people just drop it and let the OP return when he gets the light and give some feedback on the light.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Be great if we had someone who could somehow edit the thread and remove the **** posts........
Be a smaller thread but I think CPF is a better place to talk about flashlights than a place to flex egos.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You would save a lot more if you could use RCR123 cells, or some other rechargeable cells.

Well, despite clearly having shown yourself to be a troll; I'll answer this one particular question you've posted.

I've used rechargeable cells in the past. I've found their runtime to be lacking, compared to primary lithium cells. Back when I used to work nights, I needed my lights to last . . . all night. That was never a problem with primaries. Rechargeables, even quality ones, never made it through the night. At one time, going out on me while checking the nearly pitch black tank farms. I used my back-up light to navigate my way out. For casual use, they're fine. For work, I found it best to use lithium primaries.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be great if we had someone who could somehow edit the thread and remove the **** posts........
Be a smaller thread but I think CPF is a better place to talk about flashlights than a place to flex egos.
This almost always happens in a discussion about Maglite or SureFire...surprised the topic hasn't been locked yet. It's hard to discuss the facts about this light with all of these distractions. There will always be haters, but there is no need to make your presence known in every single thread. Heck, in my review thread for the E2L AA, haters were the first ones to respond... :thumbsdow

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Woah, I feel the need to speak up before this one get's shut down. :sweat: I own the E1L E2L and E2aa. You might say I kinda like the E series. :D
That being said I would keep the E2L aa over the E2L just because of the ease of finding aa batteries of any chemistry to power it. :cool:
The low is stated at 3 lumens but it is more like 8 or 9 when compared to my expertly calibrated (thanks Henry) HDS. The high is rated at
80 and to me looks more like 120. No one mentioned the great output characteristics of the Tiros optic. It throws the best outdoor output
of any light I have used. The Tiros optic is so effective that you can see things better at 50 feet on low than a 20-25 lumen light with a diffused hotspot.
If you want a smooth flood just snap a F04 beam shaper on and you are good for indoor or close up work. (also good on your HDS btw)
And yeah it has a high quality feel to it that rewards the owner making them feel they made the right choice in a flashlight.
I'm just sayin! :nana:

Lapetus

Banned
Well, despite clearly having shown yourself to be a troll; I'll answer this one particular question you've posted.

What? I am nothing of the sort. You support some ideas, I don't. You would save a lot more using re-chargeable cells than ones you buy and bin. Nothing trolling about it, it is just a fact. If you don't like to use them for whatever reason, then so be it. The choice is yours. I have used rechargeable cells at work for years.

In any case, all I did there was state the facts.

BTW, if all these "haters" were not in any threads, you would just have all the "fanboys" praising each other's decisions to buy Surefire or Maglite.

Acid87

Enlightened
Lapetus said:
BTW, if all these "haters" were not in any threads, you would just have all the "fanboys" praising each other's decisions to buy Surefire or Maglite.

Grow up. You have made your point. The OP bought the light. Move on. Start a new thread.
"I think Surefires are overpriced because...." that would make it so so so much more tolerable for people that are actually interested in the light.

BTW the above quote is probably classed as trolling and/or baiting.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it is very highly priced. But if they sell enough then it can't be overpriced, at least not from their perspective. They can and will sell at whatever price makes them the most profit, maybe frustrating for many, but just business sense.

Quality for price is an interesting question. Generally, the more you pay the less incremental increase in quality you see. But value is a completely different and subjective concept which it is difficult to argue about. Whether getting this light is 'worth it' is up to you. If you have enough money to spare then you want the best quality there is, or at least what you think is 'best'.

We would all probably be much better placed spending our money on something other than more flashlights, such as giving it away to fund clean renewable water sources/inoculations or mosquito nets in less economically developed countries. But by and large we don't, we buy what we think will give us a good feeling, and for those that can afford it it is easy to convince yourself that Surefires are the best (quality and service wise they could well be) and so you will feel best for buying the best, whatever it costs you.

I can't afford one, and am in the UK so warranty etc and supporting American labour really doesn't apply to me. I'd like one for sure, but I'm also happy with what I have already.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy recieving and using the light for a good time to come. Let us know when you get it. :)

On a side note, my experience of Solarforce quality and customer service has also been great, basically what someone described earlier from Surefire except by e-mail and with a longer wait. Moreover, my experience of Nitecore's CS has been by far the best of anywhere, they fixed a D10 I broke while modding it to my specifications at the cost of parts, and then when the boost circuit on that failed through use of li-ion cells sent me a new D11.2 free of charge from the local UK distributor. You can't do better than that.

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Reading about the led head on the AA outdoorsman I notice it's a little different then the LED head on the 1xCR123 and 2xCR123 outdoorsman, but would it still be a option for me to use a 1xCR123 or 2xCR123 body to run the AA outdoorsman LED head?

Just wondering...

appliancejunk

Enlightened
1 x CR123 will work (might not be as bright), but 2 x CR123 would not be OK.

Ok, thanks...

One of the main point of going with the light is it uses AA, but was just looking at surefire bodies on ebay and started wondering, lol...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like surefires for there durability :thumbsup:
Good on ya for buying the E2Laa it's a light that won't let you down.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, another SF thread that brings the worst out in members. One member in particular appears to be trolling and baiting. Closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.