• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

On the fence to buy a McKinley...Opinions?

DDS

Enlightened
I have been looking at the various Peak models for quite some time. I prefer a flood type beam and therefore have been considering the McKinley high power. My concerns /questions are the following:
- I presently carry a P1 and like the form factor but desire a less intense beam and more flood for close-in usage.
- I like the "white" tint of the P1 and dislike the blue tint my Inova X5(new model) emits but like its flood pattern. Not having owned a Peak with the snow white LED's, are their tints truly white or do they have a bluish cast?
- I was planning on getting a custom mixture of 15/30 degree LEDs to increase the flood pattern.

I guess my most important question is...are the snow white LEDs really white or are they just "less blue" than the other 5mm breeds?

I was also looking at the Cr2 Ion but didn't want to spend that much. I would rather invest in the PD-III if I am at that price level.

Thanks for any feedback/experiences :) Dave

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Peak and appreciate Robyn's efforts. I bought a McKinley CR123 "cyan" over a year ago, although I was a little disappointed that it wasn't green as advertised the blue/green cyan is attractive. for the money it wasn't a bad deal back then. there are more options available today.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to spread the beam out a bit, i recommend going with all 30degree. Someone did the mixture and said it didn't do as much as he was expecting.

DDS

Enlightened
JohnK: good to know that they are really "white"

Archangel: sounds like a good idea, especially if it mimics an X5 spread.

Thanks for the replies.

xring

Newly Enlightened
I've got the newer McKinley with the snow, in Ultra power. The tint is extremely white, and it's a great light if you like more of a flood. I'm using the 123a tube and the 2AA. Same approximate run time, and right now I have some AA 1950 MaH rechargables in there. Running strong and bright. I highly recommend one.

Last edited:

DDS

Enlightened
Xring: Thanks for your feedback. I plan on getting the high power for a little more run time. If you were to compare a Luxeon beam to your McKinley, does it have any bluish tint or does it just appear as more diffuse, less intense, white tint? Thanks, dave

Geologist

Enlightened
JohnK said:
I own several Peaks, and YES, the "snow" LEDs are purer than a nuns intentions.

Great Leds.

uH - WELL SAID!

The Snow LEDS from Peak's lights are awesome. The McKinley is an awesome light - I currently have 2 - the SS and Black - both Ultra Output Snow. For the price, they can't be beat! And Peak's electronics are top notch!

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
DDS said:
If you were to compare a Luxeon beam to your McKinley, does it have any bluish tint or does it just appear as more diffuse, less intense, white tint?
That made me play with my Snow Matterhorn a bit. :) I may be mistaken, but as I understand it, blueish--or orange-yellowish--tint more or less breaks down to correlated color temperature (in contrast to green or purple tint, which would be a different matter).

Compared to different light, my Snow Matterhorn looks
- yellowish compared to the natural light in shadows under a blue sky (CT of the natural light probably above 9000K),
- bluish compared to direct afternoon sunlight when the sun is low (CT probably around 5000K),
- pretty similar, maybe just very slightly bluish compared to 6000K CCT full-spectrum fluorescent lamps,
- slightly bluish compared to the low CCT Luxeon in my Peak Baltic (or the Baltic can be regarded as yellowish, it's only possible to notice in direct comparison, anyway),
- most similar to the high CCT Luxeon in my Peak Mediterranean.

So I would guesstimate the Snow's CCT somewhere in the 6500K range. I definitely experience it as plain and simple white whithout any tint, whenever I use it, and I would wholeheartedly recommend these LEDs for their color. Actually, I enjoy my Snow Matterhorn for reading.

Last edited:

xring

Newly Enlightened
DDS said:
Xring: Thanks for your feedback. I plan on getting the high power for a little more run time. If you were to compare a Luxeon beam to your McKinley, does it have any bluish tint or does it just appear as more diffuse, less intense, white tint? Thanks, dave

I would not describe the tint as bluish, but when compared to all my luxeons, which have a warmer more incandescent hue, I can see how it might appear very slightly bluish. That is until I shine the ARC-P next to it. Now that's BLUE. So in a nut shell, don't go wall hunting, and it will appear just very white, whereas no matter what you look at an ARC is blue.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
First, the CR2 Ion - I got one in the Al Bronze and the only thing I can complain about is that it is heavier than aluminum. To say that I like the flood it produces is a huge understatement! The size is excellent as well.

I have a Snow White Peak Matterhorn on my keychain and am very happy with the tint. I too was afraid that it would have the "purple" that most 5 mm LED's produce - it's not perfect like the best Luxeons but for me, it is more than adequate for any normal use. The only thing I've ever needed a "whiter" (HDS EDC) flashlight for is to compare paint samples.

If you get one, you will have to let us know how the flood pattern of the McKinley is.

DDS

Enlightened
Geologist, nocturnal(detailed response!), adimag, xring, Theatre Booth Guy_

Thanks for the comments :). I'm going to return my Inova X5 that I just bought and purchase a McKinley instead. By everyones description, I won't have that bluish tint like my Inova that I dislike. BTW, I also picked up an Inova XO(reflector) and it is a great light for all around use with fantastic regulated run time.That one will be a keeper ! Dave

DDS

Enlightened
Would the McKinley be considered Peak's best flood beam light?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
DDS said:
Would the McKinley be considered Peak's best flood beam light?

Definately YES

FlashlightReviews.Com has a 5 Star Rating to this light.

Look at the runtime and overall brightness, compare with Luxeon Lights, it's best in it's class.

pilou

Enlightened
I am also very interested in the McKinley. Curiously enough, it seems that Peak lists both snow white and just regular white as LED color options for most of its lights. Is this just due to an incomplete update of their website or are they really two available options? If the latter, what advantage would the regular white have for someone to pass up the white snow?

Anyone who has more than one finish of the McKinley, what do you consider the pros and cons of each finish?

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
pilou said:
Curiously enough, it seems that Peak lists both snow white and just regular white as LED color options for most of its lights. Is this just due to an incomplete update of their website or are they really two available options?
According to this post by DallasA (former Peak representative), white is just an alias for Snow when ordering one of the 5mm LED lights.

Last edited:

91bravo

Newly Enlightened
I have a hi-power brass pocket body McKinley and it's probably the whitest light I own besides my L4. Beautiful beam with a uniform circular beam. Great balance between flood and throw for the kind of light it is!!