One of those "help me choose" threads

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
One of those \"help me choose\" threads

Ok, I have gone without a new light long enough. My 2 choices are the Streamlight TT that runs on two of the 123 batteries or the Inova X5. I know the SL will have the option of the regular bulb also where the Inova wont, but that is not really a big deal.

I am most interested in hearing how they perform and hold up over the long term. How long can you expect decent output from the LEDs before battery change? If you carry one of these lights and use them regularly I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: One of those \"help me choose\" threads

I've never done this before and since I'm the first to respond..."get em both". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The X5 is a smaller carry but the TT-2L has the advantage of a brighter lamp. If I was restricted to only one I'd get the TT-2L but you may have different needs.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, both would be OK, but there is a gunshow this weekend, and my wife has already decided she wants a new pistol, so one light is probably all I am going to get.

The extra throw of the regular bulb is as I said not real important. The light would probably be used with LED 99 percent of the time. I mainly looking for which is the best quality and most likely to continue working over the long-haul.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

A blue X5T is half of my EDC. The X5's are extremely well built. They are marvelous. The decent runtime balanced with something that is bright, makes for a good blend. I really like my X5T.

I do not know anything about the TT-2L, so I can't comment about it, unfortunately.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

RichardMT, I would ask you how you'll be using the light. If you'll be carrying it or using it as an EDC, than definitely the X5T. If it will be a general around the house use, (re: go get it when I need it) the TT-2L. It is size vs greater ability. Both have good fit and finish, with the refinement nod going to the X5T. The TT-2L is only driving 3 leds with it's 2x123's instead of 5 for the X5T, so I would imagine raw runtime on leds alone would be longer (and potentially dimmer) on the TT-2L. (Depends on how much current is being fed to each led of course, but assuming they are roughly similar, that would be the result). Can you tell us what you are looking to get out of this light, or if you have an application in mind? For me, I would prefer the brighter option of having the incan when I needed it, as even the X5T is a bit large for my EDC tastes, IMHO. Even using the led's 99% of the time. But, if you're planning for it that way, you should probably go with the X5T; I think you'll be happier with it.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

Its use will be just kind of a general light. I prefer lights that can be carried daily if I get the urge. It probably wont see any hard use or abusive use. Its kind of sounding like the X5 maybe the way to go.

And of course the main reason, I just think its time for a new toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned

Phaserburn Has asked the right questions- What is, or are- the context(s) of use for the light? Many of us own several lights, shoes,guns, some even- cars ...due to varying contextual need. Perhaps if you prioritize your requirements we can recommend the ideal light for you. Example:
1) Primary use
2) Secondary use
3) Most important feature
4) Second most important feature
5) Least important feature
6) Budget range
7) Aquisition time horizon
8) Accessibility of power

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having them both, there is no way I would chose the X5T over the TTL, unless I needed/wanted a specific LED color.

There is minimal difference in the output of the LEDs, although there are only 3 in the TTL vs. 5 in the Inova. You might want to consider waiting a few weeks for the new Inovas to hit the streets.

The minimal size difference doesn't seem to be that big a deal as it is essentially only the diameter of the head that is different.

The xenon capability blows away the slightly smaller size advantage, at least for me!

Bill

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

I have both as well, the TT2L is relegated to car trunk living, for it is a more flexible single light, thus applicable to more tasks when mobile (and away from its dozens of brethren).

At home, I have the X5T knocking around for use similar to what you want, mostly LED, throw not important, general lighting uses. It has noticeably better fit and finish, has a small form factor, and better performance. The LEDs in my TT2L are mismatched and very blue, and at least in mine, dimmer than the X5T.

For me, the size difference alone means I would EDC the X5T, but never the TT2L (that's why it's in the trunk). The better performance reinforces the decision. Of course, you should get both, just means less ammo for your wife...

daloosh

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

Another vote for the X5T... but I'd say pick up the HA3 version from countrycomm -- It is very cool.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

X5T wins on cool factor, TT2L for flexibility.

Since you have almost no need for long throw, go with COOL!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

RonM sums it up so perfectly but I'm gonna ramble once more.

Having played with both, (no long term experience) if I was primarily choosing on reliability and build quality - the X5T seems superior. I almost bought an X5T and it certainly looks cool and unique compared to the TT.

Anybody have details on Inova's new offering? I came close to getting the X5T so maybe what I'm looking for is their latest model.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like based on a very slight advantage in fit and finish, that I will probably get the X5. It will be a carry light some days when I can carry something a bit larger than my Ultra. Its mainly to satisfy my urge for a new toy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened

If you want 'toy' factor, go with the TT-2L. Two types of light in one package is fun to play with, and can be very useful too if you need the throw. But if you just plan on using the LEDs most of the time, I would go with the X5T. When I had to use my TT-2L in situations where I turned the light on and off, it was kind of a pain to always have to cycle through to the type of light you want. Sometimes simpler is better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say go with the X5t as well. The flood is bright enough for most short to medium range lighting tasks, and you'll get long runtimes on the batts. Furthermore it can also double as a 123 batt drainer. I have nothing against the TT2L, just that I didn't quite like the idea of having to cycle thru the switch to get to either Led or incan. Apart from that the 2L is quite a nice light indeed.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have anything by Streamlight, yet. I do have the X5T in White LEDs. Keep in mind its design function: Tactical Flood with very good runtime of 20+ hours total. I chose the X5T very deliberately for these attributes, especially the runtime.

The X5T is better than these 'throw fanatics' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif will ever admit. It does very well for me.

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
RichardMT said:
Yeah, both would be OK, but there is a gunshow this weekend, and my wife has already decided she wants a new pistol, so one light is probably all I am going to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! You're one lucky gentleman. (having a wife that LIKES guns). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

My TT2L is equipped with a kroll switch. It spends some 80% of time in LED mode (and that is what comes on when the kroll is pressed). I do VERY much value the Xenon mode! I EDC this light in a Garrity holster.

Clickie beats Twist in many cases! Of course there is additional cash outlay to do the kroll...

That said, the X5 looks nice! My X1 was very nice until I hacked on it. Of course I LIKE it a lot better hacked!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

X5t.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades