Operation Afghanistan Christmas Lights

Nebula

Enlightened
Kevin - Thank you for your very generous gesture. I would like to participate by sending a few items and by sending you a Paypal (to be used at your discretion). First, I have a few questions.

1. In terms of gift lights, may I assume that R123 primaries are the battery of choice?

2. Are these guys equipped for using rechargeables?

3. Is there a particular light (or brand) that has been requested?

4. Is there a preference for emitter color?

Thanks,

Kirk

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go Kevin.

HachetSniperTeams.jpg

1-91stAirborneCavalryLogo.jpg

HatchetReconPlatoonLogo.jpg

batterystation

Enlightened
1. In terms of gift lights, may I assume that R123 primaries are the battery of choice?

2. Are these guys equipped for using rechargeables?

3. Is there a particular light (or brand) that has been requested?

4. Is there a preference for emitter color?

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk - All,
Not sure on the rechargeable issue but I would assume they could as the base has AC. Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican, and Inova are all chipping in on this operation. This is a first. Rayovac is donating alkalines and we are designating PP donations to primary CR123A cells. They should end up with a full case of CR123A batteries I think.

No particulars have been specified as they do not know this is happening. It is a stealth donation. I believe Streamlight is donating a light that has various colors of LEDs and Inova did donate some red X5 lights. We are in the position of not being picky or making special requests of the manufacturers. We will gladly accept whatever they send.

I figure between everyone, these guys will be the best light equipped unit in Afghanistan.
Awesome photos, thanks for posting!!! I want one of those .50s.

Nebula

Enlightened
Kevin - thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should have re-read my own questions before sending. What I meant to ask (but failed miserably in the execution) was what battery type light you have requested of the donor companys. Sorry. It sounds like most everything will be primary 123 powered so this information will help me narrow my list. Guess I should hang onto the 1x18650 light I had thought of contributing.

Thanks,

Kirk

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question Kevin, is this only for lights, or would you be interested in other items for your holiday care packages? Thanks again for thinking of our troops.

batterystation

Enlightened
On a local level, companies are donating some stuff like jerky, toothpaste, candybars, coffee, and stuff like that. Kids at the local schools are making cards to send and some videos. We are taking care of hot chocolate too.

On a sorry note, I quote the following from Bruce (Nick's Dad).

"Nick's unit lost two more yesterday due to an IED, one a close friend, the other his Captain from his original 1-91st Troop that he was assigned to prior to being selected for Sniper ... another friend severely wounded and Medevac'd out to Germany. Just thought you'd want to know ... Afghanistan is the 'forgotten war', the media is too busy reporting on all the negatives from Iraq ... Nick will be one of the pallbears when they put their fallen brothers onto the plane to go 'home' later today."

And I just found out the dog in the picture died in a firefight:

"as a side note and for any who may ask, the dog in the picture was named 'Trigger'. He was their IED/Explosives Dog who accompanied the Platoon on their missions. He fell about three months ago during a firefight while attacking a Taliban who was trying to launch an RPG at our Boys ..."

Again, a huge thanks to everyone helping us pull this off. It is a good thing in the middle of a real bad situation. If we can add one little glimmer of light in such a dreary place, then we have accomplished our goal.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump.

I'd like to keep this close to the top so more folks can read it and hopefully participate.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Kevin,
How's Operation Afghanistan Christmas Lights shaping up? Could you still use some donations?

batterystation

Enlightened
We probably have the lights covered by now given the tremendous response from Inova, Pelican, Surefire, and Streamlight. Rayovac is also donating alkalines. We will take care of the lithiums. The local folks are starting a pile here too. Since the weather gets REAL cold there, we are trying to round up hot chocolate and coffee by the case. We are wiping out the local stores of hot chocolate. Tube socks were requested too. I used to have a good connection for the throw-away handwarmers but have not sold them in years.
Tomorrow we will be updating the request list on their page once we run down the list of stuff we have and stuff still needed. Oh yes, candy bars were needed and jerky. Thanks for the help.

batterystation

Enlightened
We received flashlights today from Pelican and Streamlight. A small mountain of lights. More coming yet from Inova and Surefire. Please thank these fine manufacturers for their MOST generous donation for the troops!!! There will be no darkness there. We also started getting some consumables on a local level. Ozark Radio Network is starting radio spots on ALL of their stations here this weekend for the cause too for FREE.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Even though they're Army guys, :paypal: I requested it go towards a couple G2L's but having read the rest of the thread, feel free to use it more appropriately!

I had the pleasure of meeting greengoose/Brian at a CPF SHOT Show party that Mr Ted Bear set up a few years back before pk started sponsoring them. We had a mutual friend (In my case, going back 30 years.) He gave me a ride back to my hotel, and I gave him a custom CR2 light. I later sent them both CR2 lights from a short run I did.

Thanks for the warmandfuzzy flashback and the contributions for our troops!

Larry

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well Larry, you have been known to shock people! :poke: :crackup:
(inside joke for those that don't know - carry on! :D )

batterystation

Enlightened
Today we shipped the first 50 boxes of stuff to the guys in Afghanistan. We have more to pack and donations are still coming in. It should be a very Merry Christmas for the Task Force Saber. Thanks to all who participated and those who still are. A huge thanks to all the light manufacturers (Streamlight, Pelican, Surefire and Inova) who all chipped in for these guys.
They will be the best LED equipped unit in all of Afghanistan.

Thanks again for all your support. Photo of the packing crew is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.batterystation.com/afghansnipers.htm

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a happy looking packing crew---were they paid in flashlights? :D

Congratulations, Kevin, on the great success of this project. With that volume of goodies to distribute, next year you may have to spread it around to several worthy units!

Merry Christmas! :santa:

batterystation

Enlightened
As the last 4 years, this has been an honor to be allowed to help in this project. I am going to make a list of "thank you's" next week. The local Chamber of Commerce, Radio Stations, Churches, Schools, Newspaper, and dozens of West Plains busineses and individuals and CPFers and AR15 members, and and and.....

Our local Fed Ex driver made a haul to Sam's club for socks, jerky, candy, gum, dry soup, etc. Everyone seems to have lent a hand in this.

The packing crew got paid in pop this time. Christopher has been a quality testing (wrecking) crew for flashlight durability too. Ashley addressed custom forms all day.

It is really neat to see all the kids, schools, scouts, etc participate. There are home made Christmas cards and thank you notes in every box along with a note saying who donated the stuff in that particular box. We really tried to make this as personal as possible.

batterystation

Enlightened
As of today, Friday the 7th of December, 65 boxes have been shipped to this platoon. We have enough local donations and a few more lights yet for an easy dozen more boxes. The stuff just keeps on coming in the door!!! Our local radio network really did this big. They ran free ads for two weeks on all 5 of their stations. People keep asking if it is too late and we say heck no bring it on down. We will pack boxes again probably most of the day tomorrow for another huge Monday shipment. Thanks again everyone. It is too cool that these guys on the Pakistan border will have an awesome Christmas!!!!!! We also pray for their continued safety and protection.

Schmenge

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again everyone. It is too cool that these guys on the Pakistan border will have an awesome Christmas!!!!!! We also pray for their continued safety and protection.

No, THANK YOU Kevin, for organizing this and doing the heavy lifting. I hope they'll remember this Christmas for a long, long time. Let's all say a prayer for the safety of these wonderful guys, and that they'll get the job done and come home soon. God bless our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, and God bless America!

batterystation

Enlightened
I understand from Nick's dad Bruce that a mountain of boxes has arrived at the Task Force Saber base in Afghanistan. I hope to have news or pictures shortly of the unpack celebration. Inova lights have just departed that direction and more local donations continue to pour into the store on a daily basis. Box count shipped now exceeds 70. Guys, this is a record in the five years we have done this.

Again, I cannot thank everyone enough for their support for these troops that cannot be home for Christmas. I have already been told that some of them do not even have family, so we are their adopted family this Christmas.

This project has helped brighten a very gloomy event here in our family too and for that I am also thankful. Please do express thanks to the companies that have donated. It was most generous of them to help out.