Opinions on this Kershaw Centofante-Onion ?

Mike V

Enlightened
I just dropped US$52 on one of these:

k1615vib.jpg

Kershaw Centofante-Onion Rainbow

What is the general consensus on this knife by you knife guys?

I really have no idea about knives.

I've only used a couple of Swiss Army knives and a few Multi-Tools like Gerbers for work.

Although I do have a few Global kitchen knives that I like.

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
Mike,

The Centofante is a really nice knife. $52, is a touch more than I would have probably paid for that one, since they can be had quite a bit cheaper (however the rainbow version is hard to find). I seriously considered buying that exact same knife because I really liked the way it looks, and it's really well designed. However the knife is smaller than I initially thought, and I don't think I would have really been as happy with it as I am with the G10 Leek in s30v that I ended up buying instead.

If you are looking for a smaller knife, then you will definitely be happy. The assisted opening mechanism is sweet. Don't even try opening the knife with the thumbstuds, as your finger has a tendancy to follow the blade and end up on the edge (not good), just use the flipper to open it.

The blade steel is 440a, which is not considered a high performance steel, so expect it to dull faster than a similar blade in s30v or D2. But the heat treat is supposed to be good and the blades sharpen up nicely. The Leeks, Chives and Centofante blade all feel like scalpels in your hand, I love my Leek.

Sean

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the exact knife pictured. I had a rainbow Leek as well, and I can attest to the durability of the finish (it's damn tough), and like any Kershaw, it's damn sharp out of the box. The Centofante/Onion doesn't have a pocket clip; instead it comes with a nice leather pouch/sheath that does have a clip. I wouldn't call it much of a daily carry user knife, but it's a nice gent's knife for dressy carry.

Mike V

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice.

Down here (Australia) it's a bit tough to get some of this stuff, so I mostly am stuck with the few retaillers who will ship to me.

I lot of retaillers are wary of shipping out of the States.