Optics Review: Carclo Precision and Others....

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Carclo Precision Optics Review and Others....

OH man...GREAT find and great review!!!

Those Carlco 25x6 optics would be GREAT for custom LED bike lights.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice update w/ the mcFloods. It seems polishing does up the output quite a bit. Also broadens the hotspot a bit. Looks like I'll be doing this to mine.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

DZ, awsome review!! I need to stop by this fourm more often! Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Larry

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

if it was not for the link in the other forum I would have missed this post!

I hope these are available soon! VERY NICE BEAMSHOTS! EXCELENT REVIEW!

Need to find someplace that sells NX-01s!

Optics_Man

Newly Enlightened

Hi all I am the contact at Carclo Technical Plastic who have designed and manufactured the parts tested here and all I can say is thanks for the results. There are a few points that I would like to point out a few points that are incorrect.

The material these lenses are made from is polycarbonate but the material isn't in fact harder, it does take higher heat but does scratch more easily. The reason we went for this material is the refractive index, which enables us to get a tighter beam output angle.

These are currently only available direct from me and I can send a few parts out as samples if any one is interested please e-mail me on [email protected] with your needs and a postal address, a UPS account to use for shipping would be nice as a help. Please all keep up the good work and if I can help any one with any further technical data please ask and I will do my best to get the information.

*Retired*

Darkzero!

Nice job man!

How about you do a 300ft or 100 yrd or 100 meter beamshots on the narrow ones so we can compare with other long throw optics.

Something like this (TWOK Lux III and Aspherical):

High-Res here: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/beam3.jpg

beam3.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
Optics_Man said:
Hi all I am the contact at Carclo Technical Plastic who have designed and manufactured the parts tested here and all I can say is thanks for the results. There are a few points that I would like to point out a few points that are incorrect.

The material these lenses are made from is polycarbonate but the material isn't in fact harder, it does take higher heat but does scratch more easily. The reason we went for this material is the refractive index, which enables us to get a tighter beam output angle.

These are currently only available direct from me and I can send a few parts out as samples if any one is interested please e-mail me on [email protected] with your needs and a postal address, a UPS account to use for shipping would be nice as a help. Please all keep up the good work and if I can help any one with any further technical data please ask and I will do my best to get the information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, first off, Welcome to CPF! Thank you for taking the time to share your info here. I look up to the manufacturers that take the time to answer questions or comment here. I will update my post.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darkzero: Excellent work and exceptional post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened

I agree with everybody else, great review and excellent pics DarkZero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Those are very interesting optics... I'm like you though Dark, I find the NX-01 to be the best compromise in brightness/beam quality and useability. Still, I understand there's nowhere to find these at the moment, right? Well then, e-mail sent to Ian..

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review DZ

Klaus

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dark Zero,

From what I saw on the beam shots, the Carclo 2 Degree seems to have less side spill with the 5 watt V2T than with a normal Q3J BB500? Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that really the case?

BTW, great review, very comprehensive coverage and nice layout.

Ms_SS

Enlightened

Wow--Great post. Got some insight on optics.
Thank you darkzero.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

DZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Great post!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Thanks fellas! Oops, sorry, where are my manners, & thank you as well Miss Tanya!

NewBie, sorry, the 2deg is back in Zman's hands. I hope Ian sends me 2deg with the samples for further testing.

dabiscake, actually if you search you might still be able to find some NX-01s on old stock of Star/Os. I just got a couple more recently. I now have 16 of them.

Nerd, actually the 2deg didn't really have sidespill as it looks in the pics. It did give off some funny patterns outside the hotspot but I wouldn't really call it sidespill. Kind of hard to explain. IIRC, yes, the LuxI did put out a bit more of the artifacts than the LuxV. I wish I still had it so I could evaluate it more and tell you for sure. I'd also like to figure out what was causing it. Hope I do get one from Ian. If I find anything more on it I will post here.

Tanya, I'm happy it did and is what I partly intended as well. That is why I included the others along with the Carclos not only for comparison but for useful reference.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a really good comparison. At the request of the author, I'm going to "Sticky" the post, at least for a while. Also changed the main title slightly for clarification and emphasis.

Nicely done!

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

DZ, Ditto the great review. This type of review takes a lot of time, all for the help of others as you already knew the results. I, and I'm sure everyone, appreciates this.

Thanks,

Chris

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW, DZ ! How'd I miss this? Great review and photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hi Warren, I visited your site, lots of interesting stuff.

I'm very interested in the Mirror Lens 2 Degree and it appears to be on sale right now.
[ QUOTE ]

Mirror Lens 2 Deg.
52,800 ¿ø

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that translate to in USD? Do you accept Paypal cash transfers or Paypal Echecks?

Is there a button I can click that displays the pages in English?

Thanks,

Britt

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Assuming the prices are in South Korean Won that's 44.6878 USD.

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
WOW, DZ ! How'd I miss this? Great review and photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hi Warren, I visited your site, lots of interesting stuff.

I'm very interested in the Mirror Lens 2 Degree and it appears to be on sale right now.
[ QUOTE ]

Mirror Lens 2 Deg.
52,800 ¿ø

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that translate to in USD? Do you accept Paypal cash transfers or Paypal Echecks?

Is there a button I can click that displays the pages in English?

Thanks,

Britt

[/ QUOTE ]