Oreilly ETEK HID

cccpull

Enlightened
Hey I'm glad the pix are useful!

OK, this is too cool. It is dark now and I just experienced some cloud bounce with the upgraded Etek off of a bunch of low-altitude overcast soon-to-be rain clouds!! :cool:

The Etek puts out a nice light beam through the atmospheric dust all the way from the light to the target. :D

And you didn't take any pictures? :ohgeez: I don't believe it! :shakehead Where's the proof?:poke:

Now I can't wait to get mine and maybe do some side by side shots of the frosted non-frosted bulbs. :D

Great writeup!:rock:

space-time

Newly Enlightened
Lol! :D You're right - "picture or it didn't happen". :p

Before and after shots with the frosted bulb would be interesting. I forgot to take one before I did the mod.

space-time

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about it (ballast+ bulb swap) before buying the replacement bulb, maybe even something 70W-100W. But I chickened out due to the possible thermal problems (reflector melting and/or glass cracking), like bogeymachine said, and after just a quick look it seemed like the ballast circuit board was in a molded section of the light, not easily removable (not sure about that though)

Plus I've seen a post where the 80W ballasts go up to 150-200 degrees F! Might have to be mounted outside. There is a thread here about a dual-beam 2x100w vector host done that way. Sounds like 80W is the maximum from a "100W" ballast if only driven on 12V rather than 24-36.

But... what the heck! :twothumbs If you can fit the new 55W ballast in there, then worst case you may just get 35W from the 55, but best case you might get more. That frosted bulb probably generated more waste heat by blocking the light than the clear 55W anyway.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, so you folks use the "55W" bulbs that come with the kits? How does their efficiency compare to say, an overdriven Philips 85122? I've heard that the kit bulbs burn hotter than an overdriven 85122... Any experiences?

Also, how much are you folks finding these at, and do you just walk into o'reilly's and find it?

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
walked into Kragen's this morning and picked up 2 more ($37 each with tax). had to replace the batt on one, otherwise looks good

I have no data to compare Osram / Phillips with the kit bulbs yet. Will advise.

Wait, so you folks use the "55W" bulbs that come with the kits? How does their efficiency compare to say, an overdriven Philips 85122? I've heard that the kit bulbs burn hotter than an overdriven 85122... Any experiences?

Also, how much are you folks finding these at, and do you just walk into o'reilly's and find it?

Just got my ETEK from bogeymachine. Already did my bulb swap last night, it was so rediculously easy; seriously. Space-time did a fantastic job of laying out the steps but it's even easier than he makes it seems. I've had car headlight bulb swaps that were more difficult than this.

While I was in there I also cleaned the glass as others were suggesting; big improvement. The new bulb (4300K is what I believe the tag said) may not be as clean of a beam as the frosted bulb but it definitely lets a lot more light through and has better throw. I was EASILY lighting up the furthest trees I could see from my yard, which was about 300-400 yards. I've got to get out to a park/soccer fields this week to really give it a run.

dandism

Enlightened
I did an 18 hour charge about three weeks ago and just did a run time test today: 1 hour and 17 minutes! Last time I only got 1 hour :)