OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

357mag1

Enlightened
The OSTS doesn't drive the LED as hard to get the performance, Vinh's stuff is more souped up in that regard.

Its a little like a race between a muscle car and a Lotus, etc. Its two different approaches to an end goal.

The run times will tend to be better on the LED that's not driven as hard of course, and Saab does certify each light, and gives an across the board estimate for the mod. Vinh gives an estimate across the board for a particular mod. With neither do you KNOW exactly what you will receive as far as final specs, and whatever you get, is what you get. With Saab's, you know that when you look at the card in the box. With Vinh's, you know if you measure it yourself...or, you just DON'T.

I would not say one is always better as a blanket statement. Cost can be a factor for example. I would say that you would chose based upon what way of getting there works best, for you.

I have some of both....and, am happy with all of them...as they all do what I wanted that light to do.

:D

Thanks for the great explanation.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OSTS doesn't drive the LED as hard to get the performance, Vinh's stuff is more souped up in that regard.

Its a little like a race between a muscle car and a Lotus, etc. Its two different approaches to an end goal.

The run times will tend to be better on the LED that's not driven as hard of course, and Saab does certify each light, and gives an across the board estimate for the mod. Vinh gives an estimate across the board for a particular mod. With neither do you KNOW exactly what you will receive as far as final specs, and whatever you get, is what you get. With Saab's, you know that when you look at the card in the box. With Vinh's, you know if you measure it yourself...or, you just DON'T.

I would not say one is always better as a blanket statement. Cost can be a factor for example. I would say that you would chose based upon what way of getting there works best, for you.

I have some of both....and, am happy with all of them...as they all do what I wanted that light to do.

:D

As far as saying the LED isn't driven as hard that is true in one sense but not in another. I have a feeling that saabluster probably did not modify the current to the LED on this light. If it is the factory drive current then the XP-G2 is probably seeing 3-3.5 amps which is the max spec. for the XM-L2. However, the max spec. drive current for the XP-G2 is 1.5 amps. So relatively speaking, the XP-G2 in the OSTS TN31mb and the XM-L2 in the TN31vn(6-6.5amps) are probably being driven the same which is around twice their max rated current per Cree. I do not actually know what the actual drive current for the TN31mb is on max and am only guessing here. It is possible that saabluster could have even lowered the max mode on it but again I do not know. I did not ever do any current measurements when I still had my OSTS TN31mb.

To the one asking what advantage there is the OSTS TN31mb should be capable of quite a bit more runtime on the max mode since it is probably half the current of the TN31vn on max. As another said the actual perceived and/or useful difference between 470Kcd and 500Kcd would be moot. This is an actual difference of 5-6% which to our eyes is almost imperceptible even with A/B comparison with all else being equal.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Took my girlfriend to Church tonight,,,,poor thing thought she was getting married!,not really,,,,,,she was there to witness if a "Beam of light" would shine on the steeple from .8miles/1408yds./1287meters!

Last night I did it solo but did not have my glasses and my bearings were off a bit. Went back today[daylight] so I knew exactly where to point the light.

I brought Barb for Confirmation. From my end it looked like it shed some light on the steeple,,,,,sometimes it is difficult to tell if that is the case because it is hard to tell if the target is lit or are we looking through the beam? I learned to extend my arm out as far as possible to avoid that,thus changing the angle a bit!

I forgot to say,my OSTS TN31mb is certified at 470Kcd which is ~.83miles/1499yds./1371meters. Technically if Michaels measurements are accurate[no reason to doubt the fine gentleman!], this should make it with 91 yards to spare!!

SUCCESS!!!,AND CONFIRMATION BY Barb! :party::thumbsup::thumbsup::twothumbs

She was thrilled!! Not really, but I am!!! I think it is awesome for a flashlight beam to travel that far! Very exciting for me!.Next time I want to be the one watching the beam travel that far and illuminate a target!

I forgot to mention that the Church is in the "Valley" and I was up on hill, on a Golf Course. It would be hard pressed to find a "straight shot" around here,,,,,,,,,,Iowa, Nebraska, ect. ,would be a lot easier to get a straight shot!

Last edited:

panag

Enlightened
tn31mb has a pencil beam and very small hotspot!!!! tn31vn has more useful beam!!!! I think

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
tn31mb has a pencil beam and very small hotspot!!!! tn31mb has more useful beam!!!! I think

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here....that a pencil beam is more useful?? :candle:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
As far as saying the LED isn't driven as hard that is true in one sense but not in another. I have a feeling that saabluster probably did not modify the current to the LED on this light. If it is the factory drive current then the XP-G2 is probably seeing 3-3.5 amps which is the max spec. for the XM-L2. However, the max spec. drive current for the XP-G2 is 1.5 amps. So relatively speaking, the XP-G2 in the OSTS TN31mb and the XM-L2 in the TN31vn(6-6.5amps) are probably being driven the same which is around twice their max rated current per Cree. I do not actually know what the actual drive current for the TN31mb is on max and am only guessing here. It is possible that saabluster could have even lowered the max mode on it but again I do not know. I did not ever do any current measurements when I still had my OSTS TN31mb.

To the one asking what advantage there is the OSTS TN31mb should be capable of quite a bit more runtime on the max mode since it is probably half the current of the TN31vn on max. As another said the actual perceived and/or useful difference between 470Kcd and 500Kcd would be moot. This is an actual difference of 5-6% which to our eyes is almost imperceptible even with A/B comparison with all else being equal.
I'm sure the XP-G2 is over driven some what

tn31mb has a pencil beam and very small hotspot!!!! tn31mb has more useful beam!!!! I think

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here....that a pencil beam is more useful?? :candle:
the vin TN31 is XM-L where saabs is an XP-G2 so a smaller beam.

I went with vin but only because I already had a TN31 and saab wasn't offing to mod peoples lights only sell his for it was $70 v $200+

I wonder if a modded TN32 would perform any better with the extra heatsinking or if that is all already upgraded by these great modders of throw.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm sure the XP-G2 is over driven some what

the vin TN31 is XM-L where saabs is an XP-G2 so a smaller beam.

I went with vin but only because I already had a TN31 and saab wasn't offing to mod peoples lights only sell his for it was $70 v $200+

I wonder if a modded TN32 would perform any better with the extra heatsinking or if that is all already upgraded by these great modders of throw.

The heat sinking helps when the limiting factor is heat sinking...just like upgrading the wires and connections helps when it was previously a limiting factor, and so forth.

A harder driven light engine generates more heat, and, typically would therefore benefit more from additional sinking and/or radiation, etc.

Latest posts