Oveready Moddoolar Pocket

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two cells it is..2 18500s...:devil:

Coach is right - customer service extraordinaire! Ordered Thursday - arrived today! Packed it to take to the UK with me, but before doing so...

Love the look of the head and bezel - I usually go for crenelated, but wanted to try a smooth one on this Pocket - glad I did - I like it!

IMHO, Oveready has hit a grand slam with this one. I love the tail cap - I love the interface..it has a smooth, but fast 'ramp on' and mode switching. I measured 714 in my sphere off one 18350 cell. No time to do any torture testing, but my use is usually confined to short bursts anyway.

This was my first (actually second - that's another story) impulse light buy in a while, and my instincts were good on this one. It's a beautiful but tough looking chunk of a flamethrower! Great job! :twothumbs

Looks great, really!

I deleted your pics for a shorter reply, but have a look at the one where you see the tail with the clip. That clip sits flush, not 1/100 of a millimeter space between the clip and the tail at the whole width. Those are the details I love, that shows perfection in every way. I was sold on Overready since my first Cerakote 6P, I pay attention to details from unboxing on and until now each light I got was manufactured and packed with greatest perfection.

Back to the Pocket : I took a natural one with crenelated bezel. The natural, because 90% of my lights (which are not titanium, Cerakote or splashed) are black and I always seek "something different". The crenelated bezel, because I think the design of the smooth is boring... At a second view, the design is actually the same, it's just with crenalations or without. My preference normally goes to smooth, at least for the lights that go in my trousers pocket...

I hope that bezels will be available as accessoires, I'll get a smooth one as well. I can't help it, but they kind look boring with the vertical grooves...

Your measured Lumens, are they for a cool or a neutral Triple?

I can't wait to read and see your comparison between the two weirdest pocket lights that are actually on the market...

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the neutral tint - a shade that is perfect to me!

3/26 edit:

I've been out of town for a week and unable to really use and enjoy this light - until this morning. This is a fabulous little package - a hefty chunk that feels great in the hand, has the utmost feel of quality in every part (I especially love the tail switch/cap) and has an absolutely beautiful beam. The tint is just warm enough to suit my tastes - and the great beam shape that TorchLab lovers appreciate. Medium is a great level for my needs, and a quick click over to high gives an amazing 700 lumen blast that will light a field!

PLEASE MAKE THIS ENTIRE LIGHT IN TITANIUM!! :devil:

Now I will order a 2x18650 tube, or build another complete light when parts are available. My assumption is that this configuration would run for well over 4 hours on medium and well over an hour on high. These light engines have already proven incredibly rugged and robust - I abused one myself HERE and have the utmost confidence that the light will stand up to hard use.

I'm a fan. But did I mention - PLEASE MAKE THIS ENTIRE LIGHT IN TITANIUM!? :D

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Tom,

Would it be safe to run the Moddoolar Triple head with 2 or 3 x primaries on MED/LOW?

On Low and Med primaries are safe. It's the high draw that they can't provide, 2% and 30% are well within the limits (at least for 2 or 3 cell configurations). The question is if you want to limit yourself to 30%...

run4jc - I also preffer the neutral tint, trading a few Lumens for a nice outdoor tint. If yours is a neutral, it brings exactly what Tom rated it, even a few Lumen as a bonus. You can even get 300 more Lumen out of the light for about 50$ : Buy a longer body, that allows the use of 2 cells and 1000 Lumen will be yours!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine just got here. WOW. That is about all I can say right now. It is a thing of beauty with the smooth bezel, gray, great size....I am really impressed. Machining is amazing (no surprise there seeing who it came from!).

Once again, I can't wait for dark! Cursed Spring.

Darvis

Enlightened
Got mine as well and must echo the above comments... It is VERY compact, much more so than a P60 Bezel and other drop-in combo.

Did anyone else order the cool white version? My cool version seems to be on the very warm side, certainly not what I would call white at all when compared to my other R5 cool drop ins. Anyone else notice this? I have not yet compared it to my one and only neutral so I'm not sure if maybe it's in the 5K range and not so much the 6500k range.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed that myself, Darvis (actually went in the coat closet at work...no, I'm not a flashaholic at all....). I was very pleasantly surprised. I would have ordered nuetral, but I bought this to be a pocket blaster, and wanted to squeeze every last lumen out of it, so I went cool. GREAT tint. Almost to the point I wondered if there was a mix up and I got the nuetral. And if I did, you know what, I'll never really notice the lumen difference, but I will sure appreciate the tint!!!

Darvis

Enlightened
Interesting, thanks smokelaw, appreciate the confirmation! Still, I wonder if this is supposed to be as I would have expected a whiter tint; I'm not really the neutral loving type and I tend to really prefer my cool to be cool-white vs. neutral. If this is as cool as cool gets for these, then I'll stick with it, but if not, I'm going to want bright white!!!

I'll ping Dan and see if maybe cool is closer to neutral in this case.. will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
OK, blazing response from Dan as always... and the good news is that mine is the cool version. The OR cool runs in the 6200 range, a little between a true neutral and some of the white/blue 6500 K cools that I have. I had a true neutral to compare it to and it is definitely cooler. Do a ceiling bounce and look for the white center with just a hint of blue in the corona, if you see that, you are cool (pun intended).

Admittedly, it is a very sweet tint...

Those of you considering one of these, be prepared for an incredibly compact light engine, pictures do it no justice.. I mean, it's more E-series than P-series... I had planned on using this with the 1x18650 tube with two 18350s for full power, but I may have to make a pocket rocket out of it.

Awesome!! Oh, and the non-cren bezel is the shiz...

Last edited:

samuraishot

Enlightened
Here's a TorchLAB & Leef 2 x 18650 E to C combo using the E-series adapter :devil:

dsc0001qq.jpg

By samuraishot at 2011-03-21

dsc0002ka.jpg

dsc0003wva.jpg

FYI, I gotta grab some magnetic spacers first, the spring is still too far from the batteries + terminal. By any chance, does anyone know where I can get some?

Last edited:

samuraishot

Enlightened
This is the most comprehensive magnet selection I've found.

PS, great lego! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, EG! I'm ordering a few right now - can't wait to fire her up!

edit: It seems there's quite some space, so got a 1/4 inch magnet, which seems would solve the issue, but I also grabbed a 1/8 inch just in case. I'll give an update for anyone else who may want to use the same set up.

edit 2: The magnets arrived today and the 1/4 inch fits perfectly! Just did a quick 5 min test run and everything looks like it's good to go! As a side note, these magnets are seriously strong and not like dinky toy magnets. Thanks again EG, for your help and for an awesome product! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have the time or inclination for a full review at the moment, but let me just say that this is the first light in a long time to meet AND EXCEED my expectations. Can't wait to get the longer body for when I want to extend runtimes. Great light.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine as well today! WOW!!!

I already know the Triple, in this little package it's simply awesome. In a direct comparison, you see a difference to two-cell use of course, but it ain't that big. The loos of Lumen is a good tradeoff to be able to stick a Triple in your pocket.

As I expected, the mechanical quality and finish of the light is just perfect. The tail is really a piece of art and the head is really, really small for a P60 size. as for the bodies, I got the natural ones, they unfortunately have another tint as the tail and the head. I don't know if that's "the minor imperfections", I found no others on my bodies. The knurling on the bodies also doesn't really match with the smooth tail and head. On mine the bodies look like they were from another brand. They are very well elaborated and engineered however.

To cut it short, besides that tint variation, the light also exceeds my expectations, it's just brilliant! I just need a 65mm body now (not in stock), then my set is complete. Of course I'll have an eye on further heads as well, I also hope for other bezel designs.

One more thing about the short clip, I already knew the design from Ku's creations, this one has a different end though, with a finger cavity, which makes it nice to hold the light. It's great on the 50mm body, but in my eyes the 35mm is too short, the clip comes close to the head and may even touch it. I'm happy I have a tail with and one without a clip!

Now I have to go to play with my Pocket...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Has anyone done an objective test to demonstrate whether the head actually makes a big difference in getting rid of heat vs a standard Surefire C2 head?

FlashlightWidow

Newly Enlightened
Hey You ;) . . . And Hello All! Thank You for your incredible support.

Now color is something I can address:

as for the bodies, I got the natural ones, they unfortunately have another tint as the tail and the head.

That's the thing about Hard Anodized Natural, it is a 'rusting' of the natural metal. No matter how careful one is in the mining, milling, and anodizing processes the minute chemical and compound differences in the natural aluminum are going to be translated as color differences during anodization :eek:.

We color match the best that we can. Often that means finding the most attractive Natural color combination when an exact match can't be made :thinking:.

If you need an exact match in HA, the dyed black is much more consistent :thumbsup:.

Cheers,
Sarah

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my new Moddoolar Pocket (18500) and it's great - I think the modes are really well thought-out and the flood is very useful. The light fits my hand really well.

I noticed that the hotspot is just a bit out of alignment - the corona around it is just a little bit uneven and there is a very slight doughnut hole toward the center. It bugs me on a white wall (specifically at a distance of less than 15ft); in real use, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Is this normal and simply the product of different tolerances of the optic and led mounting or is mine an aberration? I'm probably being overly critical, I know optics can be less forgiving and the beam is nice and smooth aside from the slight alignment issue. I can take some beam shots if that helps clarify what I'm talking about.

Last edited: