Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2016

depends.

if you want fully charged batteries you must charge them first.

lol

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened

Do you guys group cells by age (manufacturer date), or just mAh performance? I was just going to group them all by mAh, but I am not sure.

I used to do that with regular NiMH - kept track via labels and spreadsheet and all.

With Eneloops, I just don't bother with ANY of that crap anymore. Just charge and go. I simply get 'em on Amazon and all has been fine so far.. Maybe just watch out for 'deals' that seem too good to be true. If you're really that concerned, get an analyzer like the MAHA C-9000 to check them (good to have an analyzer on hand, anyways, with any rechargeables).

The irony is that Eneloops (even the 1st gen that I still have) have all but completely negated my reasons for needing the MAHA & LaCrosse analyzers/chargers in the first place. If you're ever in a situation where you think a grouped-pack of Loops died too soon, then put those through the analyzer to check for a possible culprit.

.... And WTF about those 'tropical' loops?? $54 for 8 Eneloops!! :fail: They MUST be fricken high!?!?! Who in their right mind would get those? There's just no way. ... Amazon 8 for $16 on AA and, IIRC, 8 AAA for ~$21.. Haven't been burned yet.

EDIT: oops! I had those prices reversed... Anyway, did anyone see the new figures for how long they hold a charge now?!
70% for up to 10 YEARS!! Holy crap!! :faint:
(In the back of my mind, I kinda have a theory that they're all pretty much the same cells.. just that they're updating the figures with more real world data as time passes. These are almost seriously turning into cells that people pass on to their grandchildren. :) )

Link for where I've always gotten all my [trustworthy] Loops from, using the various options there (I have it permanently in my 'saved for later' cart.):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSMG8/ref=twister_B00QGBZTXA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

depends.

if you want fully charged batteries you must charge them first.

lol

Yes but im asking is it better to discharge them first before charging them the first time.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes but im asking is it better to discharge them first before charging them the first time.

It only makes a difference if you're using the batteries in a multi-cell device. If you are, then charge them all up before using them so that they're all equally charged. If you aren't, then it does not matter one bit to the Eneloops.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ that way you aren't charging one battery from another. Say battery 1 has 2 volts while battery 2 has 3...they try to equalize.

I do not have numbers to prove it, but when I first got a Coast HP7-360 lumen light I noticed with alkalines you could see noticable dimming via direct drive using alkalines.

Got out some old white eneloops and noted it was better....but then I read here at CPF that noticable dimming took way longer using eneloop xx's.
I bought some eneloop pro cells at the big A and confirmed that as in it took like 30 minutes (instead of 5-15) before my light was noticably dimmer using ceiling beam testing.

I outfitted my wifes HP7 with them after that and 6 months later (w/occasional use) it still puts out a blinding beam on high...

For my mini mags I have not seen a benefit of the Pro vs the regular kind.

Last edited:

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

Oh ok, Im just using them in Xbox One controllers and i tested them and they showed up as 1.33v on each. I have yet to charge them since they say they are pre charged

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello MrWongBurger,

Welcome to CPF.

With Eneloop cells you can do pretty much whatever you want to do. If you want to just use them, fine. You will not get full performance because they are only partially charged. If you want to charge them up first and then use them, fine. If you want to discharge them followed by charging them up, fine. These cells don't seem to care what you do, within reason.

Use them and enjoy them.

Tom

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

Oh ok thank you very much. I wasn't sure what i should do first with the battery's as far as charging them first or discharging them to not mess them up. From what you said it doesn't matter.

Ray F.

Newly Enlightened

Oh ok thank you very much. I wasn't sure what i should do first with the battery's as far as charging them first or discharging them to not mess them up. From what you said it doesn't matter.

Me personaly, If I'm in a hurry, I use them and charge them later. Otherwise, I like to top them off before using, so I get the maximum amount of time before the next charge.

Joe Kidd

Newly Enlightened

Just came across 2 Pro X's 2400mah that were charged two years ago when I took them out of service. I ran a charge-test on these and cells had 2421mah and 2456mah capacity with 66 milliohm resistance. Awesome battery.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

I used to do that with regular NiMH - kept track via labels and spreadsheet and all.

With Eneloops, I just don't bother with ANY of that crap anymore. Just charge and go. I simply get 'em on Amazon and all has been fine so far.. Maybe just watch out for 'deals' that seem too good to be true. If you're really that concerned, get an analyzer like the MAHA C-9000 to check them (good to have an analyzer on hand, anyways, with any rechargeables).

The irony is that Eneloops (even the 1st gen that I still have) have all but completely negated my reasons for needing the MAHA & LaCrosse analyzers/chargers in the first place. If you're ever in a situation where you think a grouped-pack of Loops died too soon, then put those through the analyzer to check for a possible culprit.

.... And WTF about those 'tropical' loops?? $54 for 8 Eneloops!! :fail: They MUST be fricken high!?!?! Who in their right mind would get those? There's just no way. ... Amazon 8 for $16 on AA and, IIRC, 8 AAA for ~$21.. Haven't been burned yet.

EDIT: oops! I had those prices reversed... Anyway, did anyone see the new figures for how long they hold a charge now?!
70% for up to 10 YEARS!! Holy crap!! :faint:
(In the back of my mind, I kinda have a theory that they're all pretty much the same cells.. just that they're updating the figures with more real world data as time passes. These are almost seriously turning into cells that people pass on to their grandchildren. :) )

Link for where I've always gotten all my [trustworthy] Loops from, using the various options there (I have it permanently in my 'saved for later' cart.):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSMG8/ref=twister_B00QGBZTXA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No, actually the specifications for the separator have been changed and improved over time. Also varying formulations (AB5) (A2B7) and (AB2) for example have been developed for the anode material. Furthermore, there are many advanced techniques for doing life-prediction analysis. Nobody waits 10 years to make a 10 year prediction. Science is way ahead of our theories.

keithy

Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2015

Just copied this from my other thread at BLF
old vs new

Left: Made in Japan 3rd generation Right: Made in (Japan?) 4th generation
I think they now make 2 versions, 1 in China (bottom) and 1 in Japan... (right)

ChibiM - thanks for the great info.

For reference, I still have an unopened set of 2013 manufactured 3rd Gen Eneloops in Tropical colours I bought in 2014 from a local retailer in Australia. HR-3UTGB8TPT

The back is clearly labelled as Made in Japan and printed on the cells as well.

gjeO6ZI.jpg

QcsGIYV.jpg

I'm sure when I checked stock at **** Smith in Australia, the newer China made ones had Made in China printed on the back.

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened

No, actually the specifications for the separator have been changed and improved over time. Also varying formulations (AB5) (A2B7) and (AB2) for example have been developed for the anode material. Furthermore, there are many advanced techniques for doing life-prediction analysis. Nobody waits 10 years to make a 10 year prediction. Science is way ahead of our theories.

It's good to know that it isn't just a marketing gimmick, then.

I wonder if any of the Eneloop LSD technology has been transferring over to their lithium cells they make, as well?
I'm too new at using Lithium-ion batteries for flashlights to know how long any brand can hold their charge for yet.. Being that I've been using just 18650's for vaping, they never sit that long for me to be able to tell. :D

Devon

Newly Enlightened

ChibiM - thanks for the great info.

For reference, I still have an unopened set of 2013 manufactured 3rd Gen Eneloops in Tropical colours I bought in 2014 from a local retailer in Australia. HR-3UTGB8TPT

The back is clearly labelled as Made in Japan and printed on the cells as well. .....pics...
I'm sure when I checked stock at **** Smith in Australia, the newer China made ones had Made in China printed on the back.

I've been checking since I made my previous comment and I've only been able to find the older 65% ones with made in China on them. Only checked 2 stores and 1 was sold out....looking for what I thought I saw and that was 70% and China, but if they're never found then I must have been mistaken.

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

Got a quick question, Is it ok to charge my eneloops at 1100mA vs 300mA ? Reason why i ask is i just got a Fujitsu Quick Charger that can charge 2xAA @ 1100mA and 4xAA @ 550mA vs my Panasonic Charges them at 4x AA @ 300mA

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello MrWongBurger,

Yes. It is OK to charge Eneloop cells at 1100 mA. Depending upon your chargers termination method, the higher charging rate will produce a larger termination signal and there is a reduced probability of missing the termination signal and overcharging the cell.

Tom

MrWongBurger

Newly Enlightened

Hello MrWongBurger,

Yes. It is OK to charge Eneloop cells at 1100 mA. Depending upon your chargers termination method, the higher charging rate will produce a larger termination signal and there is a reduced probability of missing the termination signal and overcharging the cell.

Tom
Im using this charger, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817109037

I was just wondering as ive heard its bad for the battery to charge at a higher rate compared to my other charger that charges it at 300mA.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello MrWongBurger,

High charging rates can cause damage to cells. However, completing the charge in 1 - 2 hours is not charging at high rates. Slow rates cause missed terminations and that also damages the cells.

I ran a test on some of the original Eneloop cells charging the cells in 15 minutes. That is a high charge rate. The cells lasted 150 cycles.

You can keep an eye on things by monitoring the temperature of the cells during charging. If they get too hot to touch, something is wrong. If they only get warm, everything is OK.

Tom