P60 Host Comparisons: Solarforce, Lumensfactory, Dereelight Quick Review and pics!

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Re: Quick Solarforce, Lumensfactory, and Dereelight P60 Host comparison review ... Pi

The good news: The body stayed cool, even after 2 hours; all heat was confined to the head and neck and even there stayed manageable (comfortable).
I would regard that as very bad news. That means heat isn't conducting through the body and into your hand like it should be, shortening the LED's life and probably throttling down brightness considerably.

Then again, I don't know what you mean by manageable; if the head stayed fairly cool, then it's likely fine. I would just regard insulation between the LED and your hand as a big downside, not an upside.

Finally, isn't there another, under-$20 2AA host...the something C3 sold at DealExtreme?

I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HAIII 2AA P60 hosts; Javelin quality; one more host?

Don't forget FiveMega's 2AA (and 3AA) bodies, now sold at lighthound.com.

oh. I forgot about those, but they're considered custom lights, so I don't count them. .. I'll change the text to read "full production", though.

if the body stays relatively cool while you're holding it.. that's pretty much normal. the hand makes a great heatsink :)

hmm.. no problems with cells getting stuck.

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Re: Quick Solarforce, Lumensfactory, and Dereelight P60 Host comparison review ... Pi

if the body stays relatively cool while you're holding it.. that's pretty much normal. the hand makes a great heatsink :)
Well, this is a MC-E. My Q5 K-106 gets fairly toasty in my hands in a few minutes on high, and I can hardly wait to see what a SST-50 does in a small form flashlight. I would imagine the MC-E would put out a fair amount of heat, enough to notice even with your hand insulating, and the head\neck temperature shouldn't be drastically higher then the body.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again; thank you for this review. My Javelin Hosts is on its way now.:twothumbs

I will be using a SST- 50 drop-in with a 2.5A driver and 3 NiMH AA Tenergy cells. If I can persuade MrGman to test it for me I know I will be looking at 300 or so OTF lumens out of just AA cells:nana:

Regards,
bigC

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will be using a SST- 50 drop-in with a 2.5A driver and 3 NiMH AA Tenergy cells. If I can persuade MrGman to test it for me I know I will be looking at 300 or so OTF lumens out of just AA cells:nana:

:faint:
sounds like fun to me! lovecpf

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I read in a thread that some drop-ins are brighter in one host than in another, powered with the same batteries. What's the deal? As if things aren't confusing enough...:faint:

Do hosts that require a separate contact spring to receive drop-ins usually come with the spring or is it an accessory one has to purchase separately?

Thanks.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
some lights have AR coated lens, more recessed dropins, strike bezels that block light... those all change output.

I believe the dereelight is the one with the AR coating.

most dropins include springs (with the exception of malkoffs, I believe). you have to use the spring with all except for the dereelight host iirc.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Craig,

On the CL1H, there are some screws on the ring onto which the clip is fastened. What are those screws for and what material are they made of? And how do you put a lanyard on the CL1H?

I thought I had made up my mind to get the CL1H V4, until I saw the L2P. I must say I like the look of the L2P better. The CL1H kinda reminds me of a hand grenade. It's a tought decision for me because I somehow got the idea that the CL1H is higher in quality. If my criteria is compatibility with drop-ins and quality, can you give me your recommendation. Thanks.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cl1h is indeed better quality, IMHO. then again quality isn't a quantitative thing. :thinking: (though, it does have a forward clicky)

the screws are for keeping the clip in place. the ring comes off. there are little indents in the light where the screws go.
hmm.. I'm not sure how you'd attach a lanyard... perhaps to the clip.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I like the L2i , its a nice battery host [ Survival Flashlight ]
And with the low voltage drop in , can run on a single AA/AAA all the way up to a 18650 .

Something to consider if your waiting for doomsday !
It may not be every ones cup of tea , but I do like versatile flashlights that are not necessarily stuck using one battery type only .

So from a certain perspective the L2i , is a brilliant little flashlight :candle:

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Anyone prefer to have either a lanyard ring accessory or an integrated lanyard ring for the CL1H host?

As for the clip design, I prefer one with a ring that slides down the tail end and is secured by the tail cap, like the Quarks'. IMHO the screws give the CL1H an unfinished look.

BTW, is the craftsmenship of the SF 6P noticeably better than that of the L2P?

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice summary and review - I have a pair of the L2R's, and they are solid glove box backup lights for in the car. I even don't feel too bad about storing them long time with batteries in them, because they are pretty cheap lights and I won't cry if there is corrosion. :D

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I haven't had the chance to own a Surefire 6P,
I believe that Surefire has a rabid following/fanbase for a reason... I would not hesitate to say that the craftsmanship is noticeably better. ;)

Gryffin

Enlightened
Anyone prefer to have either a lanyard ring accessory or an integrated lanyard ring for the CL1H host?

As for the clip design, I prefer one with a ring that slides down the tail end and is secured by the tail cap, like the Quarks'. IMHO the screws give the CL1H an unfinished look.

I love the CL1H clip. The ring is just high enough to serve as a "tactical grip ring" in a cigar grip. And since the clip is wire, I just clip a lanyard to the clip when I need one. (I don't keep a lanyard attached full time. YMMV.)

Ain't touchin' THAT one with a ten foot battery tube. :whistle: