• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG-S2- XML-U2 / P60 modules (part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I haven't read this whole thread (forgive me), but I don't see details of what drive levels are available. I don't know how much flexibility you have with the drivers. Could you make an XM-L module with a single regulated drive level of 35mA? I'd like somethin that could handle 2 or 3 primaries/1 or 2 Lion--but 2 primary/1 lion would be acceptable.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read this whole thread (forgive me), but I don't see details of what drive levels are available. I don't know how much flexibility you have with the drivers. Could you make an XM-L module with a single regulated drive level of 35mA? I'd like somethin that could handle 2 or 3 primaries/1 or 2 Lion--but 2 primary/1 lion would be acceptable.

HI

The main place to look is on the first page as it is all explained fairly well on drivers under most of the emitters and for sure is under XML. On up to six volt max I can make 1 / 2 / 3 / 5 levels but if you go over 6 volts which is 2 x primaries or 1 li ion then the choices are much less.

9 volt max is 3 level only and is 2.8 amps and single level is 16 volts max but only 2.2 amps.

I am not sure what you mean by 35ma, did you mean 3.5 amps or actually .35 amps as you have it. A module running at 35ma is going to be a very very dim light. If you meant 3.5 amps and a single level then it is only possible in a 6 volt max driver only meaning 1X li ion or 2X primaries but NO 2X li ion and NO 3Xprimaries

Dave

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
That makes sense. Rereading the first page, it seems a little clearer. I can live with 6v max.

I did, indeed mean 35 milliamps (.035 amps). Is that too low to power these emitters? Maybe I misunderstand, but when you say "very very dim light" I hear "less than 1/2 lumen," which is dimmer than I want. I was thinking I could hit 10-20 lumens at that drive level (which is more of a "moderate" light level in my mind).

What drive level do you use for the "Low" setting on your multi-mode modules? 50mA? 75mA? Do I need to be thinking of something like that as a minimum drive level? If I used a different emitter (like an XP-G, maybe?) would that give me a lower useful drive level?

I was thinking that the XM-L is rated at 100lumens/watt, so .1 or .2 watts would give me 10-20 lumens. Maybe it doesn't work that way at the lower drive levels, though?

I was also calculating that 35mA would consume 1400mAH in 40 minutes of runtime--so 36 hours or more of regulated runtime might be possible with lithium primaries.

I'm open to suggestions! I'm looking for a single level, low output (not ridiculously low, but usefully low--like the low on a Surefire L1 --or the Lx2 low at the most) unit that would maximize runtime on 2 primary cells.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense. Rereading the first page, it seems a little clearer. I can live with 6v max.

I did, indeed mean 35 milliamps (.035 amps). Is that too low to power these emitters? Maybe I misunderstand, but when you say "very very dim light" I hear "less than 1/2 lumen," which is dimmer than I want. I was thinking I could hit 10-20 lumens at that drive level (which is more of a "moderate" light level in my mind).

What drive level do you use for the "Low" setting on your multi-mode modules? 50mA? 75mA? Do I need to be thinking of something like that as a minimum drive level? If I used a different emitter (like an XP-G, maybe?) would that give me a lower useful drive level?

I was thinking that the XM-L is rated at 100lumens/watt, so .1 or .2 watts would give me 10-20 lumens. Maybe it doesn't work that way at the lower drive levels, though?

I was also calculating that 35mA would consume 1400mAH in 40 minutes of runtime--so 36 hours or more of regulated runtime might be possible with lithium primaries.

I'm open to suggestions! I'm looking for a single level, low output (not ridiculously low, but usefully low--like the low on a Surefire L1 --or the Lx2 low at the most) unit that would maximize runtime on 2 primary cells.

Hi

If you are looking for a low level light the XML is probably not what you want. We run it at 2.8 amps or above with low setting at about 5% of 2.8 amps.

To be in the area you are looking for I would have to use a multilevel driver since the lowest I could set a single level is 350ma so it would take a 3 level driver to lower it below 350ma. The levels are 100% / 40% / 5% and yes a XPG would work better for the low light you are looking for.

I only have so much control over the drivers sorry

Dave

Last edited:

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
Ah, I see. So, 350mA is the lowest you can set a single level driver for? I'm afraid that's much higher than what I'm wanting. Thanks for your quick responses.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I see. So, 350mA is the lowest you can set a single level driver for? I'm afraid that's much higher than what I'm wanting. Thanks for your quick responses.

Most p60s use 7315 resistors to drive the emitter.
Each one is 350ma so most options are in increments of 350ma.

I've thought about this too and for a lower level single you would either:
Reprogram a driver/micro controller to only turn on in a lower mode (using PWM)
Or find some other type of resistor with less output.

I think - I don't build modules nor did I stay @ a holiday inn last night ;)

619Andy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

I can't PM you so I must ask this way. I just purchased 2 of your modules and I'm looking for a nice host to put them in. I like the mac custom and mcgizmo look but they don't offer p60 host or do they? Any recommendations on a good host that look like mac's or mcgizmo's.

Thanks,
Andy

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave,

I can't PM you so I must ask this way. I just purchased 2 of your modules and I'm looking for a nice host to put them in. I like the mac custom and mcgizmo look but they don't offer p60 host or do they? Any recommendations on a good host that look like mac's or mcgizmo's.

Thanks,
Andy

HI Andy

You have 3 posts so you should be able to PM now, make sure you turn it on in your options. I am able to PM you so you should be able to.

Mac doesn't make a P60 style host and I don't think Mcgizmo does either. TNC makes a P60 style host and you can find him under custom manufacturers on this forum, other than that I don't know of a whole lot of custom builders using P60 light engines.

Dave

JTik

Newly Enlightened
Paypal Sent For:

Cree XM-L
U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
2.8 amp 3 level Hi / Low / Strobe Regulated (2.8-6 volts)
Smooth Reflector
Potted with copper tap
Solarforce L2T Host
AW 18650 3100 mAh battery

Transaction ID: 3EP49156RK4902810

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal Sent For:

Cree XM-L
U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
2.8 amp 3 level Hi / Low / Strobe Regulated (2.8-6 volts)
Smooth Reflector
Potted with copper tap
Solarforce L2T Host
AW 18650 3100 mAh battery

Transaction ID: 3EP49156RK4902810

HI

Thanks order has shipped

Dave

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
Re: P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG- XML / SST-50 -90 P60 modules (part 9

Is red xpe drop-in available in single mode? If yes, how many amps?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG- XML / SST-50 -90 P60 modules (part 9

Is red xpe drop-in available in single mode? If yes, how many amps?

Hi

Yes it is available in XPE / platinum dragon , all are available in single level. I usually push them at 1 amp. They can be pushed harder but you do not get a true red if you push them too hard, they become red orange when pushed to extremes.

I also have red SST 90's but they are more floody but very bright.

Dave

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to confirm - the 4C tint is a bit "creamier" than the 4A which has a tad more "rose" to it.
It's a subtle difference but I def prefer the 4C!!
VERY neutral! No GREEN!

Stoked to get outside with it!

I'd keep this exact tint around for a long time- its ideal IMHO
Thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to confirm - the 4C tint is a bit "creamier" than the 4A which has a tad more "rose" to it.
It's a subtle difference but I def prefer the 4C!!
VERY neutral! No GREEN!

Stoked to get outside with it!

I'd keep this exact tint around for a long time- its ideal IMHO
Thanks!

Hi

Yes I really liked the color as soon as I saw it, it is much like the 3C but deeper in tone.

Thanks for the input

Dave

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
Order placed:

(2) Red XPE - single mode, 1 amp, smooth reflector, 3-6 volts

Paypal sent 9HR34909NB917952M

Last edited:

RCantor

Enlightened
How come no one tells me you have a 4C xml? I have to see what it's like but I have a hard time believing it'll be better than the 4A. :)

3 level Low / Med / High Regulated 2.8A, 2.8-6 volts, LOP, potted 4C XML for solarforce host. Did I leave anything out? I'm kind of rusty :)

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come no one tells me you have a 4C xml? I have to see what it's like but I have a hard time believing it'll be better than the 4A. :)

3 level Low / Med / High Regulated 2.8A, 2.8-6 volts, LOP, potted 4C XML for solarforce host. Did I leave anything out? I'm kind of rusty :)

Hi

I know you will like the 4C, it is more creamy and less rosy than the 4A at least in my eyes. It is much like the 3C but with deeper slightly darker tones if that makes any sense.
No you left nothing out and it will ship in the next day.

thanks

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.