P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Anybody got a Dereelight R5 P60 and the 1.5 amp Thrunite R5?

The Thrunite is rated as putting out more output yet I have two of them and my Dereelight R5 P60 looks brighter and whiter to me.

I'm curious if anybody finds the Thrunite 1.5 amp R5 to look brighter than other XP-G P60's thy own?

shipwreck

Enlightened
Yes, I ordered the 2 cell L2x with that ThruNite drop in today from Illumination Gear as well. Can't wait to try it out... I almost went with the SST50 Solarforce drop in, but decided to go this route instead.

Qmotion SIS

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I ordered the 2 cell L2x with that ThruNite drop in today from Illumination Gear as well. Can't wait to try it out... I almost went with the SST50 Solarforce drop in, but decided to go this route instead.

ShipWreck, don't show me any more flashlights:sick2:

shipwreck

Enlightened
ShipWreck, don't show me any more flashlights:sick2:

thicon_lol.gif
thicon_lol.gif
thicon_lol.gif

recDNA

Flashaholic

I'm very curious about the tint of the hotspot and the overall output vs other R5 P60's you may own.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Just wondering:
Do all P60 manufacturers use PWM in their drop-ins?
Does anyone have higher PWM´s, so you could not notice it so easily?

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I have a Dereelight SMO and a LOP for the XRE. Like orbital says, the SMO is quite ringy. Even the LOP produces a dark ring around the hotspot.

The interesting thing is both produce wider spills than other SMO and LOP reflectors, respectively. Perhaps they are more shallow?

In addition, the LOP also produces a tighter hotspot than other LOPs.

If only there were a central supplier of P60 reflectors offering different beam shapes for buyers to choose.

Really like to see what these new SMO for the XPE and XPG can do.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well if they took their time and did it right I think an XP-G in a smooth reflector could be the perfect beam. Of course if the reflector has the wrong angle or isn't properly focused it could also be, well, horrible.

We need user feedback. Sigh..... I may have to order tonight. Is there anyone else going to give these a try? The smooth reflector XP-E should have some serious throw going for it.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
+

Dereelight now has Smooth (SMO) reflectors for their XP-E & G drop-ins.
http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

This will give a nice boost overall, especially in throw
....without rings like all the XR-E drops had.

No rings? seems boring... actually the only thing holding me back from getting some XPG lights.

Doesn't the XPE have a lower surface brightness and a larger emission angle meaning it won't be as good of a thrower?

pae77

Enlightened
The recent Solarforce XPG modules (single mode and 5 mode) have smooth reflectors. The few comments I've seen regarding the beam have been fairly positive. They only cost about $15 or less on ebay (BIN).

\\

Last edited:

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Ya know, I tried my NB XPE Q3 in my DBS with SMO for SST50. The hotspot starts out really small and uniform, unlike the layered hotspot of the R2, but quickly diverges. The spill is smooth and uniform as well, with no artifacts. The edge of the hotspot is also much sharper than that of the R2.

Yeah, a well designed reflector goes a long way. Just look at that of the 47 Maelstrom with an XPG R5 in a SMO.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
No rings? seems boring... actually the only thing holding me back from getting some XPG lights.
Lack of Cree rings is a good thing IMHO.

The rings are the biggest gripe with most of my drop-ins, and the main reason why most of them don't get used.

red02

Enlightened
Lack of Cree rings is a good thing IMHO.

The rings are the biggest gripe with most of my drop-ins, and the main reason why most of them don't get used.
I'll be glad to take them off your hands :naughty:

I'm used to minimag rings so its probably what I think a light should look like. The rings also give some character to otherwise plain beam.

iWiLL

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beamshots of the Solarforce XPG drop-in.

Solarforce LC-XPG (R5, single mode, 3V-18V) with one and two batteries
beamshot-solarforce-lc-xpg.jpg

Solarforce LC-XPG (R5, single mode, 3V-18V) vs. Solarforce LC-1 (R2m, 5 modes, 4.2V-8.4V)
beamshot-solarforce-lc1-xpg.jpg

Solarforce LC-XPG (R5, single mode, 3V-18V) with one battery vs. Solarforce LC-1 (R2m, 5 modes, 4.2V-8.4V) with two batteries
beamshot-solarforce-lc1-xpg-b.jpg

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if anyone has a good candidate for a drop in that can run on 1x18650 or 2x123a cells, has three levels (with memory) and do around >=200lm on high?

Basically, something like a Fenix TK11.

Thanks,

-john

pae77

Enlightened
I'm curious if anyone has a good candidate for a drop in that can run on 1x18650 or 2x123a cells, has three levels (with memory) and do around >=200lm on high?

Basically, something like a Fenix TK11.

Thanks,

-john
Solarforce has some 3 modes (with memory) that come in various voltage ranges and put out quite a bit more than 200 lumen on high.

Here's a new low voltage Solarforce 3 mode XPG P60 module for < $15 shipped that handles up to 4.2 volts so can only use a single 123a or 18650 cell at a time, (but has the advantage of being able to also use 2 NiMH AA's in a Solarforce L2R host instead of the Li-ion cells). I'm pretty sure they also have some higher voltage range 3 mode modules using other emitters slightly less bright than the XPG (but still way over 200 lumen max) that could take either 1 or 2 Li-ion cells. So I would take a look at their line if you are interested in getting something pretty high quality at very low cost.

Last edited: