P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
love to hear form someone who has one
or a link to a review ive been looking but no luck

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question on P60/P61 drop ins,
I am interested in the flood models (M60F) but was hoping a more efficient or brighter drop in was due being that the M60/M60F have been around for a while. So why is there not a M61F? I would think any LED can be used in a flood optic because the beam is dispersed anyway and using a XPG would at the least result in better runtimes.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question on P60/P61 drop ins,
So why is there not a M61F? I would think any LED can be used in a flood optic ...

M60 series used optics so it was simpler to have different optics in the lineup. M61 series is reflector based so a flood variant with optic would be completely separate production. M61 is already floodier than then M60 because of the use of the XP-G too. Some diffusion film is a simple answer although you lose some of the efficiency gained with the new LED>

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Thrunite 460 lumen XML upgrade module from Batteryjunction for my Wolf Eyes Guider. I have had the Guider for several years and I have always loved it's interface, build quality, internal charging , etc. I just wanted to make it a little bit brighter. I put the Thrunite in the light when it arrived, and quickly learned that standard P60 sized modules do not fully fit in Wolf Eyes lights!! After I tightened the head and the light did not come on, I knew something was wrong. When I removed the drop in, the spring had bent over and part of the bottom edge was slightly damaged. I was able to bend the spring back, and the module is OK, but then I realized what the problem was. The head of the Guider had a ring that screws into it holding the glass in place. The Wolf Eyes drop-ins have a lip around the top of them that fits into this ring, and enables the front of the drop-in to be right up to the glass. The Thrunite drop-in does not have this, so its sticks out about 2mm more from the head. When I screwed the head back on the light with the Thrunite in it, it put too much pressure on the base of the drop-in. I was able to get the drop-in to work by unscrewing and removing this retaining ring. I only see a few problems with this, but I do not think they will be much of a concern. Now the front of the drop-in is putting a bit of pressure around the outer rim of the glass. I also have to be carefull when I remove the head to make sure I do not lose the glass lens or have it fall and break. I am not sure if there is a way to mod the light to get this to work another way. If there was a ring that could be screwed into the area where the head screws onto to keep it from tightening abother 2mm, that would work, but I have no clue where something like that would come from.

This issue with Wolf Eyes lights and drop-ins is probably known to some of you, but I do not hear too much talk about these lights on the forum. It is a shame also. I think these lights, quality wise, are just as good as anything else out there, and probably better than most! I would love to hear from anybody who has a Wolf Eyes light that has run into this problem, and how you solved it.

(Note: I have this in a separate post, but it is getting very few looks, so I thought I would post it here, thinking that this is where it should have gone anyway. Somebody please let me know if I am wrong!)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with the Guider, but I bought a Sniper a few years ago to use with a Dereelight drop in. At the time, Dereelight was mistakenly advertising compatibility with the Wolf Eyes lights. Turns out, the Sniper, and many others, don't use a P60 module at all. No way I could use it, I am surprised that you were able to make one work. Many of the sellers, like Malkoff, specifically state that their modules are not compatible with Wolf Eyes lights.

I was lucky enough to grab one of the very last 4-mode XP-G Wolf Eyes modules from PTS before they dropped the line. At least now the Sniper is a multi-mode LED light, as I would never have used it as an incan.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes was more popular some time ago and their drop-ins are not fully P60 compatible [as Mikeoz has found]. Lumens Factory and others do [in places] mention that their drop-ins are not WE compatible. I had a WE host some time ago and it is very well made but the incompatibility w/ P60 standards makes them less desirable.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Has anyone reviewed these Solarforce red LEDs ? I'm thinking of getting one, but are they red, i.e crimson, or red-orange? Does anyone know what the spectral range is?

I have one that I use for hunting sometimes. I have a smooth reflector on mine.

P1000744.jpg

With DX aspheric for longer throw.

P1000747.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yes, on the Wolf Eyes subject...

I pretty much adore my Sniper for it's size, shape and build quality.

I pretty much detest it for blueish tint and PWM in the lower modes

Actually the PWM isn't THAT bad... but it REALLY goes blue in the lower modes.

And without some HEAVY modding you ain't getting a P60 in this light.

Alaskan Infidel

Newly Enlightened
Need a couple of drop in's

I have a Surefire 6P and a 9P and I am looking to upgrade both to a really nice drop in. I have been reading good things about nailbenders products, so I am thinking that is the way to go. So that being said. I am looking for a good amount of throw and want a very bright light on both Surfires. I am a flashlight newbie and I didn't realize how technical it all is. So I am asking the group here for your reccomendations on how I should go. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thread merge - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

C4stickyplastic

Newly Enlightened
I would like to suggest the Solarforce X-PG, i dont have the actual price but it was pretty cheap iirc.

And since you're after throw the Malkoffs (M61's etc), although incredibly well built, have good transitions between throw and spill, an even split of both and serves as a medium thrower.

The solarforce xpg has a very bright hot spot and i believe will serve your purpose better and at a very good starting price

Edit: i remember owning a Thrunite... P60 x-ml? Sorry i cant remember, but never used it due to lack of throw, it put out a lot of light, but in throwing terms, my solarforce xpg was better suited to my needs. It also has a warmish/neutral tint which my eyes enjoy very much. U can try one if u like and if it doesnt suit you, its a small loss for experience in money terms.

Last edited:

LV426

Enlightened
Anybody got the new Solarforce LC-XML U2 single mode, and can measure current pull on a single 18650?

texas cop

Enlightened
Just got in the mail the new M3 and the 2.7v-9v xm-l u2 dropin from SolarForce. Both appear to use the same driver. Beam is clean white with no yellow or green hues.
M3 gave 2.10 amps, 0.85 amps and 0.08 amps with a 3100 mah panasonic 1.82 amps, 0.89 amps and 0.15 amps with 2-3v primarys.
The dropin is single mode only and gives 2.06 amps with the panasonic and 1.55 amps with the 2-3v primarys

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
ok so i have a p9.

am looking to get a nice led to drop into it. smooth reflector for some good throw. i'm good with e-bay. looking to spend $20 or less. looks like there a million options.

i will be using it for hunting.

can i get like a 3 mode light or would i need to get a different tail switch? i have the stock switch which is a twist style

Dplight21

Banned
In there a huge list of P60 sized led drop-ins are shared. I also add some

60 LED COOL WHITE BULB
60 LED WARM WHITE BULB
CHROME STEEL DOWNLIGHT + 60 LED COOL WHITE BULB
GU10 60LED WARM WHITE
GU10 60, SMD3528, LED WARM WHITE

Spam links removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Erzengel

Enlightened
The lights You linked, are not P60 drop ins, they are LED replacements for fixed lighting installations and Your signature is just advertising for these lights. Your post is totally inappropriate.

Last edited:

kzb

Newly Enlightened
I've been told that Solarforce have discontinued the red drop-ins. They also have disappeared off their website. But the blue and green ones are still available. Can anyone confirm or deny?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this the right place to ask but;
Going to pick up a Malkoff MD2 w/ a M61w to use for a duty light. In the past I've always used primaries but I'm contemplating a single 18650 simply because the MD2 fits it. The pros of this are longer runtimes vs CR123 x2 and lower cost over time. The cons are the initial cost (battery & charger) and improper charging/discharging hazards. Brightness/output should be the same. Do I have it right or no?