P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the Eagletac Sporttac triple be better ran off of one or multiple 18650 batteries?

Even though I could not do a direct comparison, my eyes could not tell if the 2 18650 option was brighter; it is that close. Of course you can get longer runtime and there are others more expert who can discuss other reasons. For me, the single battery is preferred for safety, simplicity, and carry ability. This is an XPG2 triple. Sometimes I use a dummy cell and a 123 primary for a reduced light level room filler; Runs a long time.

BuDn3kkID

Newly Enlightened
I ordered EagTac's P60-compatible Triple-Nichia 219 drop-in, and ahould be on its way to me soon.
I was wondering, would Oveready's Moddoolar custom hosts fit it?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered EagTac's P60-compatible Triple-Nichia 219 drop-in, and ahould be on its way to me soon.
I was wondering, would Oveready's Moddoolar custom hosts fit it?

Not sure what custom hosts you are talking about, but the Oveready interface and adapter will allow you to use standard P60 engines. They are great tools.

BuDn3kkID

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying, I'm thinking of combining one of Moddoolar's Cell tube with a C-series interface (for P60 dropins). That'll work, right?
Still new at this… trying to grasp the concept of individual flashlight parts.

Xacto

Enlightened
I received my Eagletac Sporttac triple. Nichia 219, Surefire Host yesterday. Perfect fit inside my Surefire 6P, the flood is just amazing, the tint is great, nearly blew my Elzetta with the Malkoff flood "out of the water" (living room in this case). Surely not my last one, but.... since I am not very well versed when it comes to volts and ampere - can that dropin be safely used with 2xCR123 high quality (=Panasonic) primaries? I haven't found an answer so far, since most discussions center around 18650(?) rechargeables.

Thanks in advance.

Thorsten

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for replying, I'm thinking of combining one of Moddoolar's Cell tube with a C-series interface (for P60 dropins). That'll work, right?
Still new at this… trying to grasp the concept of individual flashlight parts.

Sportac dropins for Surefire flashlights seem to work with the most hosts. The straight walled dropin is more for the SolarForce type hosts, but may work with the Oveready fare. You can always ask the Oveready Team on their section on this forum. Hopefully someone here will provide the answer as well.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Eagletac Sporttac triple. Nichia 219, Surefire Host yesterday. Perfect fit inside my Surefire 6P, the flood is just amazing, the tint is great, nearly blew my Elzetta with the Malkoff flood "out of the water" (living room in this case). Surely not my last one, but.... since I am not very well versed when it comes to volts and ampere - can that dropin be safely used with 2xCR123 high quality (=Panasonic) primaries? I haven't found an answer so far, since most discussions center around 18650(?) rechargeables.

Thanks in advance.

Thorsten

On the outside of the film canister that your Sportac dropin came in, is the voltage range. The CR123 batteries are a nominal 3 volts. Two together in series is 6 volts. That falls within the range that this dropin can handle. Amps are not a problem. Good quality batteries are always a good idea. Since I am not an expert I do not fool around with the cheap stuff. Other members may be able to provide guidance regarding economy cells. Also, the battery section on CPF provides a wealth on info.

NtEzyBeingGreen

Newly Enlightened
I think, due to the p1 not beeing bare metal on the outside, it will have more problems with heat, because normally, holding a light in your hand will lead the heat away.

I have an A001 head incoming, and if i buy the triple, i think i use the A001 (with a B6 bezel) for it.

Where were you able to find an A001 head? I am having a lot of trouble locating one, after seeing one on your Solarforce L series in another thread!

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened
They are no longer for sale, i was lucky to find one,I bought it localy here in the netherlands. At that time there was also a n us bases shop who had left a few. I believe it was customlite

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
I added a <$10 "Surefire Bulb Replacement Drop-in Upgrade - 650 Lumens - Cree XML T-6 -P60 Style" to an Amazon order recently. My car light was a 6P with a P60L in it - until it and my GPS, etc, were borrowed from my Jeep - in front of my house (I moved!). I had ~$62 new total in the pair - and put my 6P LED in it's place in the Jeep (I like the long shelf-life and wide temperature range of CR123a Lithium primary cells in an 'emergency' light.). I bought the upgrade intending to simply replace the SF LED, but changed my mind when I saw how bright - and neutral white (The P60L seems cool.) - it was. I ordered another blister-packed 6P for $41 shipped (evil-bay), so I have less in this flashlight than I had in the stolen one - and a lot less than my 6P LED. But... how was the drop-in? It looked great, QC wise. Longer than the SF P60L, I had to remove the outer spring for a proper fit in the 6P body (It may be required for the SF G-series body.). The beam is a good copy of the P60L's - the polished reflector helps. The central spot is neutral white and larger than the cool P60L's beam. The single-mode drop-in's reflected light - from a meter to an 8.5" x 11" sheet of 90+% reflectance printer paper and measured four times as high as my P60 LED and early E1b Backup - and half as bright as my SF LB3T Invictus. The meter in use was a Weston Master II - an antique selenium cell reflected light photo meter. After 5 minutes, the head temperature was read with an infrared thermometer and found to be fifteen Fahrenheit degrees warmer than ambient, while the P60L measured around four F degrees above ambient. Hopefully, it is thermally protected in case it's used in a higher thermal resistance non-metal flashlight body.

I was pleased with my first 'P60 drop-in' - and anticipate more purchases. The 6P LED went back into the Jeep's console, the new drop-in equipped 6p deemed too bright for roadside use.

PS I just checked - this drop-in is not currently available via Amazon 'Prime'... keep checking!

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Solarforce w/ XP-L

201411242002341.jpg

_______^ I believe it's closer to 900~1000lm

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I trust amp values more than any lumen claim from these lights. If you know the amps you pretty much know the output. I've seen manufacturers claiming 1000 lumens from 1.5 amps. Silly

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I trust amp values more than any lumen claim from these lights. If you know the amps you pretty much know the output. I've seen manufacturers claiming 1000 lumens from 1.5 amps. Silly

+

true, not many people other than CPF folk are going to buy a light on its amps.
I got one of the single-mode xp-l units from solarforce, de-domed it & put the pill in my 2x18650 Deree DBS

fun, fun:thumbsup:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

no, but it's a tighter hotspot than the xm-l2 that was in it.
still luvin' the DBS for so many years now,,, being able to plug in new pills is such a :)

add for relevancy:: drop-ins will always keep lights interesting & affordable!!

Last edited:

A.marquardt

Enlightened
Vinh just recently came out with the CQvn P60 - Solid Copper P60 Quad which can put out up to 4400 lumen depending on your choice of leds. It is jaw-droppingly bright. I've purchased two of them, and the WOW factor is amazing. The led has been tested to draw as much as 9.88 amps. Ridiculous.

Of course, if you want longer than a 5 minute runtime on turbo, you could always buy one of Vinh's other P-60 drop ins, they are excellent.

Last edited:

GrimReminder

Newly Enlightened
Help a newbie here lol.
Quick question. If I remove the head off my 6px pro and remove the bezel ring, will a P60 drop in fit in there and work? Thanks for your time guys.

Xacto

Enlightened
Nope, the 6PX can not be fitted with a drop-in. I once read of some guy that did it, but it involved some serious milling on a lathe. Way easier to just buy a regular Surefire 6P.

Cheers
Thorsten