p60 sized led drop-in's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I just received the DX 6090 yesterday, and installed it in a 6P with two freshly charged RCR123's.

It's very nice. Tight, circular hot-spot, with nice spill. I went ahead and ordered three more.

To get it to work properly in my 6P, I had to cut the outer spring to a single ring. With the spring removed, contact wasn't consistent. With one ring, it works fine. With the whole spring, it works great, but leaves a gap of about 4mm. With one ring of the outer spring around it, it only has about a 1/2-mm gap, barely noticeable. I think a little grinding around the circumference would make it perfect.

Too much work for a $10 drop-in. It works fine as is, and I'm really impressed with the output and the clean beam.

lexina

Enlightened
I just received the DX 6090 yesterday, and installed it in a 6P with two freshly charged RCR123's.

It's very nice. Tight, circular hot-spot, with nice spill. I went ahead and ordered three more.

To get it to work properly in my 6P, I had to cut the outer spring to a single ring. With the spring removed, contact wasn't consistent. With one ring, it works fine. With the whole spring, it works great, but leaves a gap of about 4mm. With one ring of the outer spring around it, it only has about a 1/2-mm gap, barely noticeable. I think a little grinding around the circumference would make it perfect.

Too much work for a $10 drop-in. It works fine as is, and I'm really impressed with the output and the clean beam.

I have one and I like it too - I use it in my 6P+extender with 3 R123s. I removed the outer spring completely and didn't have any contact prob.

richdsu

Newly Enlightened

Regarding the DX 6090 Drop-in for Surefire 6P :

Try this :

The Brass Module that holds the cree emitter, try to unscrew it 1-2 turns from the Aluminium Reflector body. In this way you will have full consistent contact to the battery as well as no gap.:twothumbs

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on a Wolf-Eyes HO 3.7 - 13v dropin for a C2?

Mine keeps staging down automatically and I didn't have any luck with PTS.

-Medina

crocodilo

Enlightened
I've got a set-up consisting of a SF C2, a Lighthound Cree drop-in (750ma) and a couple of AW protected 123s, listed 750mah. Yesterday I did a full run with the batteries fresh charged, and got 1:10 of perfectly regulated light, then zero, protection kicked in and light was out.

The beam is perfect white, lots of throw with a very nice and even sidespill, and this is easily my most powerfull flashlight. Runtime with primaries would be longer. Flashlight temperature was hot, but manageable.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I just got an email notice, the Malkoff M60's are back in stock. Of course, I ordered my own before posting this.

DanielG

Enlightened
I just got an email notice, the Malkoff M60's are back in stock. Of course, I ordered my own before posting this.

:grin2: I got tired of waiting for Malkoff and got in on the bugoutgear pre-order #2 so I'll see how this goes before I look for another.

DanielG

Enlightened
When I said they'd go fast, I wasn't just whistlin' Dixie! :grin2:

I actually had a shot at this batch, but as I said, I've got a bugoutgear one coming that I have to mess around with before I try another.

frisco

Enlightened
Wow...... The drop in module scene has blown up! I have one of the first LED drop ins from LightMania (Korea) in my M2. Now I see Cree versions Multi output versions.... My head kinda hurts from trying to research these things.

Help me narrow this down a little with some suggestions. I'd like to have a drop in that has a broader beam.... Kinda like a Surefire L4 beam. Seems like most these drop ins are very narrow and pointy. Multi level would be nice also. Sugestions please!

- Broad Smooth L4 type Beam
- Multi level ... don't really need SOS
- Bright
- Runs on single LiIon battery 17670
- Stippled reflector
- less than $5.00 delivered. (yah right!)

TIA, frisco

lightinsky

Enlightened
Just got my DX 1447 cree p4 drop in. I put it in my G2 and it is definitely brighter than my G2L with a ssc. I wonder if the 1447 is putting out about 120+ lumens. It also has better throw than the G2L but not as good runtime. I am happy with the 11 bucks I spent on it. I didn't need to use the outer spring and it works flawlessly. Thought you guys would want to know if you are considering a drop in the 1447 is darn good for the money and has no gap in the G2.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I made some measurements yesterday & today on all my modules.

Funny thing is that measurements changed when I use 2 flashlights. Blue numbers are with a Huntlight FT-01, black are with a C2+Extender. Lightmeter is the venerable DX one.Spill Lux was measured at half the distcance to the rim, about 1ft from hotspot.

Vf - A Draw - LuxBox - LuxHotspot - LuxSpill
Ultrafire 4-Mode
3.18 - 0.68 - 336 - 2140
0.26 - 154 - 990
0.08 - 57 - 350
3.18 - 0.75 - 316 - 2220 - 102
0.24 - 139 - 1108 - 72
0.08 - 50 - 418 - 55
X-Alpha P4 (red tape)
3.13 - 0.25 - 223 - 1720
3.13 - 0.25 - 216 - 1875 - 43
X-Alpha Q2 (black tape)
3.46 - 0.60 - 315 - 2193
3.46 - 0.55 - 274 - 2330 - 62
X-Alpha Q4 (blue tape)
3.68 - 0.45 - 405 - 3330
3.68 - 0.45 - 373 - 3460 - 75

alll measurements are with the DX meter which reads about 35-37% lower than other meters like the Meterman...adjust them accordingly

-------- Update 1 -------
DX sku.1447
N/A - 0.77 - 347 - 3490 - 71
N/A - 0.77 - --- - 4130 - -- (Smooth Reflector from DX sku.5937)

funny thing is that it will not fit my Surefire C2 without a gap!!!

alll measurements are with the DX meter which reads about 35-37% lower than other meters like the Meterman...adjust them accordingly

-------- Update 2 -------
DX sku.14313 (also found in WF-501B?)
N/A - 0.40 - 298 - 2480 - N/A

-------- Update 3 -------
X-Alpha Q4 (green tape - smooth reflector)

N/A - 0.33 - 248 - 2330 - 55
X-Alpha Q5WC (golden tape - smooth reflector)
N/A - 0.16- 188 - 1949 - 58
roughly on par with Lux III T-bin performance!!!:eek::shakehead:mad::thumbsdow

for comparison

A Draw - LuxBox - LuxHotspot - LuxSpill - Lumens
P60 - 1.12 - 269 - 2840 - 65 - 65
HO-6 - 1.36 - 318 - 4750 - 65 - 100
HO-9 - ? - 554 - 6330 - 76 - 200

Enjoy, Kostas

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
Interesting numbers you came up with there. Do you know how many lumens the DX 1447 cree p4 drop in is that I just received for my G2. I'm guessing about 120 from eyeing it but not totally sure. I don't have anything to accurately measure lumens.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Has anyone received the latest version of the Malkoff P60 drop-in yet? This would be the one with the brass heatsink and 8 degree Cree columator. I'm just wondering how it compares to the previous version.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received the latest version of the Malkoff P60 drop-in yet? This would be the one with the brass heatsink and 8 degree Cree columator. I'm just wondering how it compares to the previous version.

I received mine today. I have no basis for comparison with the previous Malkoff drop-in, but I can say that it "outshines" every other lamp I've tried so far, incandescent or LED.

It's very nice!

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
Sigh. All I want is a Q5 based single stage drop in that will run in a G2. Any such animal?

I may try this one since it runs at 700mah, kinda on the edge of survivability in a G2. I'll have to get a hold of a Q5 to put in there though.

Argh. not in stock. Of course...

I'll try the lighthound 750mah version. I'll also see if I can't throw a Q5 in there later...

UPDATE: Just ordered a Q5 WC tint emitter to go in there. Hopefully it all works out. Any suggestions for improving heatsinking? Should I squirt Arctic Alumina all over the driver board (pot it)?

bugoutgear has a super premium Cree Q5 drop-in for the G2. 230 lumens for 3+ hours. I can't wait for mine to get to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.