p60 sized led drop-in's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hehe...so this means no one's compared the BOG versus the Malkoff yet? Interesting.

I bought a "Used" (I'm the second owner and the other guy didn't really use it at all) M60 Q5. It's in my original round bodied 6P since I know Gene's modules work in those with zero issues.

I'm getting a complete 6P (modern version) with a BOG Q5 that I bought off of BST. It should be here later this week.

So - I guess I'll compare them. I have a set of AW R123A's all charged and ready to go to test them out.

I had a chance to play with Gene's M60 last night in the rain. Even with mixed lighting on a street with sodium vapor lamps every 1/4 mile, I was able to light things up easily down a quarter mile. 200 yard tree lightings were no issue.

I'm expecting similar results with the BOG Q5. Either way, it'll be fun.

-Steve

I'll be waiting for your impressions.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
I can't wait. To the poster who wanted to know about focus, BOG is a complete drop in. The reflector and LED are already mounted together.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
Fizz -

you might want to add the Dereelight P60 drop ins to the first page.1S(1-stage) cree XR-E Q5 module w/OP- US$32
  • Input Range: 2.8~4.2V / Output Range: 1.2A
  • Battery Type: 1x18650,1x17670
  • Features: constant output at it's fully input range; over discharge protection
1SM-1(1-stage multi power) Cree XR-E Q5 module (6V max) - US$26.50
  • Input Range: 3.0~6.0V /Output Range: 1.1A
  • Battery Type: 1x18650,2xCR123A
  • Features: constant output at 3.8~6V
2SD(2-stage digital) Cree XR-E Q5 module - US$35
  • Input Range: 2.8~4.2V /Output Range: 1.2A
  • Features: constant output at it's fully input range;two stage output, 100%-5%;over discharge protection;memory function; change level by push switch
3SD(3-stage digital) Cree XR-E Q5 module - US$35
  • Input Range: 2.8~4.2V /Output Range: 1.2A
  • Features: constant output at it's fully input range; three stage output,100%-50%-5%;over discharge protection; memory function; change level by push switch
They also have a 2 stage Multipower but it only works properly on a Dereelight CL1H.

Ok I feel like a dork. :crackup: Some how I missed this post. Info added, Thanks!

crocodilo

Enlightened
I can make a small comparison between the Lighthound Cree drop-in (suposed to be a P4 at 750mA) and a Solarforce Q5 from HK, via ebay.

Beam:
P4: wider spill, smaller hotspot, very nice
Q5: narrower spill, larger hotspot, somewhat ringy against a white wall

Reflector:
P4: textured
Q5: textured and deeper

Brightness:
P4: lower than my P1D CE Q5, but still quite bright
Q5: brighter than the Fenix, indoors it is blinding high

Runtimes (with AW RCR123 3,7V protected cells):
P4: 01:03
Q5: 00:53

Build quality:
P4: simple but nice looking
Q5: sloppy soldering on the contact between PCB and housing

Price:
P4: high twenties, IIRC
Q5: seventeen something...

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like best. Guess it is the Q5, considering the insane brightness and the larger hotspot. In everything else (except for being cheaper) it is inferior to the P4. Just wish I had 123 primaries to test their runtimes. I had expected the Q5 to use it's higher efficiency not only to increase brightness, but also to augment runtime...:sigh:

But, all in all, these two drop-ins brought back to use my 6P and C2. Now, on to choose something for my G2, for which I'd like something with a really looong runtime (>03:00).

pbs357

Enlightened
Great info crocodilo... And awesome review/comparison and pics Beastmaster! Almost makes me not hate you for beating me on that B/S/T purchase from Eurobeetle :rant:! (PS, wanna sell me the G2Z??? :D) Looking forward to pitch black condition beamshot comparisons!

From all the threads and beamshots I've so far it seems the Wolf Eyes module with the shallow reflector has the strongest/widest spill. Next, in the direction of more throw seems to be the Malkoff M60, with the BOG being the strongest thrower. Thanks to everyone for your contributions, and keep them coming!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Sorry. And the G2Z is going to become my primary tactical light in my fanny pack. There's no point in carrying a 9Z any more with the Malkoff in it and primaries.

If someone wants me to test out other lamp assemblies, I have no issues doing so and sending it back. I can take the same positions (I love my backyard "alleyway" - it's a great test because I have a streetlight spilling into it from 30 yards away) and snap away.

On a side note - I really think the Malkoff M60 is the absolute best combination that I've tested so far.

Another side note - never, never look into any Q5's beam wearing Oakley's. Their lens filtering does funky stuff with the Q5's. I get actually a seasick feeling when looking at it. I don't get that way with Luxeons or the SSC used in the SureFire P60L. It's only the Q5 Cree.

-Steve

Great info crocodilo... And awesome review/comparison and pics Beastmaster! Almost makes me not hate you for beating me on that B/S/T purchase from Eurobeetle :rant:! (PS, wanna sell me the G2Z??? :D) Looking forward to pitch black condition beamshot comparisons!

From all the threads and beamshots I've so far it seems the Wolf Eyes module with the shallow reflector has the strongest/widest spill. Next, in the direction of more throw seems to be the Malkoff M60, with the BOG being the strongest thrower. Thanks to everyone for your contributions, and keep them coming!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

DealExtreme SSC (on right)

main.php

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4068

I received one of these last night from DX, and initial impression was.....it didn't fire up.
Tried different cells, no luck.
Took it apart to see whats going on,...hmmm
Switched out the retaining spring with another I have and BOOM!!...another fantastic SSC beam.

I must add, I like Dereelight P60s' for their quality and upgrade'ability.
The DX SSC P60 drop has great usability and quality of beam, this is one super 'bang for the buck' drop-in.

:D:D:D:D:D ~ 5 smilies

p.s. best for short to med.+ distances.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: p60 sized led drop-In's

CREE P4 5 modes Regulator/Reflector Lamp Assembly
Hey

Hey guys I received one of these from kaidomain today. The reason I bought this particular one is because I wanted a 3 volt unit suitable for use with a 3P flashlight and it was cheap really cheap.
All in all I can say that I don't like it. The poor QC of the unit ruins it. It has finger prints all over the reflector.
fingerprintonreflectorcrsm.jpg

Just to make sure everything is clear. THOSE FINGERPRINTS ARE ON THE REFLECTOR!!! NOT THE WINDOW.

IMHO That sucks. The 5 modes are interesting. three modes where the level would change? but they don't.
On the face of things tossing one into a 3 P isn't all bad. The beam has a reasonable hotspot. The color of the beam is really nice.

I suppose you get what you pay for. and at $15.00 or so it is an ok piece for a person on a budget. Running one on a 4.2 volt cell may yield better results in terms of brightness. I really expected more from it. If there is a real desire I will measure it. I can say this the output is nowhere near the level of the surefire P60. It is a single cell light though.

Anyway...anybody klnow a good way to clean a reflector without doing more dammage?
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
That looks like someone touched the silverized coating before it dried.

I'd do Windex. If it doesn't come out with that - you're hosed.

It's why I did a SureFire P60L - no fingerprint issues. I did pay 2.5 times what you did, but the QC was worth every penny!

-Steve

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those and a malkoff unit. It was a whim purchase destined for the 3P. I was looking for a decent drop in which will work with 3 volts and drop into a surefire.
The only good thing about this unit is the tint of the led which is rather nice.
I have never had any success with anything which requires touching the reflector. They realy screwed it up. It isn't like Kaidonain is going to send me another and I am certainly NOT going to go through all the hastle to sent it back to china NO way.
I will eat it and put it down to experience. I have allways been a bit hesisitant to deal with deal extreme and kaidomain.
Kaidomain took my order knowing they did not have the unit in stock so I waited a month for it to come in. then it comes in and is crap.
Oh well.
Yaesumofo

That looks like someone touched the silverized coating before it dried.

I'd do Windex. If it doesn't come out with that - you're hosed.

It's why I did a SureFire P60L - no fingerprint issues. I did pay 2.5 times what you did, but the QC was worth every penny!

-Steve

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
TRy Denatured alcohol (which may be what 99% isopropyl ETOH - not sure); but the common denatured ETOH is sold at most hardware stores and home improvemnet places. IT is simpy pure alcohol without any water. Evaporates completely without residue.

My guess is that it won't help though because it was done during manufacturing process and not a greasy print afterwards during assembly.

bspofford

Enlightened
The MTE web site is listing a P60 CREE module claiming 255 lumens. I assume that this may be a Q5, but the description isn't specific. It looks like they sell direct and charge PayPal.

bspofford

Enlightened
TRy Denatured alcohol (which may be what 99% isopropyl ETOH - not sure); but the common denatured ETOH is sold at most hardware stores and home improvemnet places. IT is simpy pure alcohol without any water. Evaporates completely without residue.

My guess is that it won't help though because it was done during manufacturing process and not a greasy print afterwards during assembly.

Denatured "alcohol" is ethanol (the stuff in booze), but it is made chemically (not fermented then distilled) and has benzene in it. This is an industrial solvent, and you never want to drink benzene. I think it causes kidney failure. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) often comes as a 70% solution, but you can also find 90% and 99% for not much more. You also don't want to drink isopropyl alcohol because it can cause blindness. The 90 - 90% stuff can be used to clean electrical contacts, but I don't know what it would do to the finish of an aluminum reflector. I used to use it on a Q-tip when cleaning the black stuff off the gold read/write heads of old 8-track tape players. I can't say how it compares with Deoxit in terms of performance, but it is much much less expensive.

Yapo

Enlightened
I received my "Q4-WB 5 MODE CREE MODULE" from supertactical.com in my letter box today. Suprisingly enough it came with a free GITD tail cap and a glass lense the same diameter as the reflector. not sure why they included that but i was wanting a try a GITD tail cap for awhile. For the module itself, the CREE was slightly off center and the hotspot isnt perfectly round n smooth but in practical use it's not really noticable. The tint is also fairly warm which is a plus for outdoor use. This is the first module i've gotten with memory for its modes, which took me a little while to get the hang of. The modes go from High-Medium-Low-Strobe-SOS. The light turns on at the last mode you were on if it was on that mode for more than a few few seconds or the next mode you were up to. Strangely enough all my 5mode lights have their brightness modes in different orders. In comparison to my original P4 binned P1D CE the hotspot of the module is noticably brighter but the total lumens doesnt seem to be anywhere close to 200 lumens...maybe 150 lumens at most. For $18 shipped its not a bad buy... but i'll probably aim for one of the better brands like deree & malkoff, i've been hearing about, next time tho!

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know of any Rebel 100 based drop-ins?

I'd love one if quality was nice and input voltage range was ok.

Sverre

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
right place to ask?

I havent read thru the whole thread... I wonder what I would be best off with, a SureFire G2L (the SF led) or a G2 incan and buy a DX cree drop in?

The light is going to be used at work, will get dropped and greasy. Longer runtime vs max output might be preferable.

The price difference isnt a big deal if the original is the best choice.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.