P91 with 2x RCR123A

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega,

3: Is there any other high brightness bulb(brighter than P90) suitable for 9P with extender and 2x18650?

Patric

this is where you get into the Fivemega bulb holders and custom bulbs. I've got a bunch of custom bulbs for the 2x li ion, believe five mega sold them initially (FM1794 - first link in #3 from Five Mega's post #23 below) and then gave permission to Carley (bulb manufacturer) to build them for someone else as they were initially designed built for five mega. The was a run of about 500, and then there was an issue in manufacturing that caused "very short life". Carley reran the bulbs. I had a custom Mag setup that Fivemega had custom bulbs made for, I tried (with approval from Fivemega) to get another run of the bulbs made, couldn't get enough folks signed up, someone tried after me.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
1: Should I avoid even P90 with 2x18650?

2: Is it better to run P91 with 2xprotected 18500 than 2x18650?

3: Is there any other high brightness bulb(brighter than P90) suitable for 9P with extender and 2x18650?

1- http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-18650-Cells&p=3563504&viewfull=1#post3563504

2- Protected Li-Cobalt batteries have more voltage drop and overall voltage to bulb is slightly less than IMR cells therefore less overdrive and longer bulb life.
Smaller cells are also better for bulb life.
However, some people prefer more power and brightness regardless of bulb life.

3-
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-FM-D26-Bi-Pin-socket-Reflector-Ready-to-ship
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?219828-G4-D26-SUNLIGHT-for-urefire

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanna ask... is that the original head with plastic lens? Might want to upgrade to a newer glass, Pyrex or UCL or something. An unattended P91 will Shrinkydink your lens if you're not careful.

(Shrinkydinks were a toy in US back in the 70's/80's. Little plastic sheets you could color, put them in the oven and they would shrivel up into little hard plastic ornaments you could hang on windows.)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just wanna ask... is that the original head with plastic lens? Might want to upgrade to a newer glass, Pyrex or UCL or something. An unattended P91 will Shrinkydink your lens if you're not careful.

(Shrinkydinks were a toy in US back in the 70's/80's. Little plastic sheets you could color, put them in the oven and they would shrivel up into little hard plastic ornaments you could hang on windows.)

My wife does 'shrinky-dink' jewelry these days.
A sheet of clear, a sharpie, and a toaster oven is all it takes.

I still like watching it do the shrink part.

Good analogy btw. And even better idea explaining said analogy. lol.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new verb now! I managed to shrinky-dink the plastic lens in a G2/G3 bezel with a P90. Somehow I jammed the "temporary press" on, while pushing it in the pocket of a leather jacket. So it was stuck on, in a thick leather jacket from which I could not feel the heat while wearing it. No circulation of air to help with heat dissipation. Oops.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new verb now! I managed to shrinky-dink the plastic lens in a G2/G3 bezel with a P90. Somehow I jammed the "temporary press" on, while pushing it in the pocket of a leather jacket. So it was stuck on, in a thick leather jacket from which I could not feel the heat while wearing it. No circulation of air to help with heat dissipation. Oops.

Nice! Happens to the best of us. I talked to a Sherrif's deputy at a shooting match who told me some of his guys would sit in court and their 6P's on their duty belts would turn on and they wouldn't know until someone smelled something burning.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had that happen with my old pre-lockout G2 with the plastic lens. Didn't shrinky-dink but definitely bubbled. Got a borofloat lens from Flashlightlens and got a new lock-out tailcap from Surefire so it wouldn't happen again.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was always a common problem with earlier Surefire's that had lexan lenses running any 9V bulb. The G3 came stock with a pyrex/borofloat lense, so that was never an issue with this light. I replace all of the lexan lenses on my G2's with hardened mineral glass.

Latest posts