• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Vesuvius - AAA sized, capable of producing 600 OTF lumens!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the timing of this light to be an amazing co-incidence!!!

About a month after tgwnn comes up with this original concept and draws a huge amount of interest, Curt from Peak announces something almost identical, priced in the same range and seemingly trying to trump the lumen output.

Draw your own conclusions.

That TGWNN doesn't exist (the account is actually curt's alternate screen name which he used to create the 500l aaa thread only to drum up excitement, then release his even more impressively spec'd version that he'd been sitting on this entire time while waiting for interest to reach critical mass, having created a fake website, mailing list, & alternate personality to fool us all)? Is that what you were getting at?

Because I'm with you. Now let's check their forum histories- I suspect we won't find any posts made by curt & "tgwnn" at the same time.

easilyled

Flashaholic
That TGWNN doesn't exist (the account is actually curt's alternate screen name which he used to create the 500l aaa thread only to drum up excitement, then release his even more impressively spec'd version that he'd been sitting on this entire time while waiting for interest to reach critical mass, having created a fake website, mailing list, & alternate personality to fool us all)? Is that what you were getting at?

Because I'm with you. Now let's check their forum histories- I suspect we won't find any posts made by curt & "tgwnn" at the same time.

No, that's not what I was getting at. tgwnn is in Japan and Curt is in Arizona in the US.

[comment removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

jorgen

Enlightened

Thanks for the good laugh. :thumbsup:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let everyone know, I've purchased and tested the only two IMR 10440 cells that I could find and they didn't meet my expectations... At a 2A draw, you're only going to get maybe 125mAh if you're lucky which would equate to about a 5-6 minute runtime on high... Just sayin...

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
I do too like nimh, but i won't buy a ferrari and complain about how it sucks on bumpy gravel roads. Preformence has a price.

Just think, if you do have a Ferrari, every time you fill it up with high octane fuel, the difference in price for that tank of fuel alone versus regular unleaded would buy a 2 or 3 10440s, or a half dozen or more nimh. That's per tank full! Just one more rationalization for me to keep driving the family minivan.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just think, if you do have a Ferrari, every time you fill it up with high octane fuel, the difference in price for that tank of fuel alone versus regular unleaded would buy a 2 or 3 10440s, or a half dozen or more nimh. That's per tank full! Just one more rationalization for me to keep driving the family minivan.

If you can afford a ferarri, you won't care about the price on hi octane. :) Anyway we can only fill 95 or 98 octane here, and the price difference is not that big. I always filled with 98 back when I was driving petrol cars. Now i drive a dieselburner that runs forever on one tank, so i can spend more on flashlight-toys like this one :)

Loomin

Newly Enlightened
haha i was thinking the same thing.... so you're telling me the price of GAS is what's keeping you from driving a Ferrari, and making a mnivan more rational??? lol

You gotta pay to play. Even if it isn't linearly affordable or efficient. If you're not willing to play, step aside and let the big dogs(Ferraris) run. Atleast sit back and enjoy.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess a bit less than 500 OTF lumens at turn on (or so). That means maybe 300 ANSI lumens because heat will be a huge factor. At full power the run time will be very little (6 minutes?) with a 350mAh IMR cell. I suspect the skin will be burning off your hand before the battery is over discharged. The RMSK web site states 650 emitter lumens (no OTF measurement and no ANSI measurement). They also state 1.6A draw from most 10440 IMR cells (they got 1.9A and 2A from a coule that were higher quality than the others).

Don't get me wrong. It seems like a great light and the QTC makes it a lot more practical but the output quoted is a little misleading. Still, I may buy my first peak.

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a month after tgwnn comes up with this original concept and draws a huge amount of interest, Curt from Peak announces something almost identical, priced in the same range and seemingly trying to trump the lumen output.
Almost identical?!? I don't see them as being that similar although they do appeal to the same market. Definite differences in UI and power sources they'll run off of. The peak only has the users hand getting hot for thermal regulation. It's not like either of these are the first time someone has driven the latest gen LED to the maximum a battery can handle in a AAA form factor.

Draw your own conclusions.
Competition is a good thing. Looks like two great lights are coming at reasonable price points. Both intriguing in their own way to me.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've purchased and tested the only two IMR 10440 cells that I could find and they didn't meet my expectations... At a 2A draw, you're only going to get maybe 125mAh if you're lucky which would equate to about a 5-6 minute runtime on high... Just sayin...

+1

Something isn't adding up with those numbers. The mah values suggest its a falsely labeled capacity or falsely labeled chemistry. Either way, they should only be used with extra care.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let everyone know, I've purchased and tested the only two IMR 10440 cells that I could find and they didn't meet my expectations... At a 2A draw, you're only going to get maybe 125mAh if you're lucky which would equate to about a 5-6 minute runtime on high... Just sayin...

I tested a bunch of IMR 10440's and so far the max capacity I achieved was 330mAh but that was only when drawing 100mA.

+1

Something isn't adding up with those numbers. The mah values suggest its a falsely labeled capacity or falsely labeled chemistry. Either way, they should only be used with extra care.

Most batteries will experience a reduced capacity under high loads so its a good idea to ask at what discharge rate the capacity was measured (though I've found that even some of the manufacturers are not sure). If they can not provide a datasheet, then you really wont know what you are getting till you test.

I did get a datasheet from one maker that quoted 250mAh for 10440's rated for 10C discharge.

Agree'd on the "extra care" part!

tgwnn

jorgen

Enlightened
WOW!, doesn't even begin to describe how much I love this light. I was a bit concerned about the heat warning but after fooling around with the light for about an hour it will be a non-factor, for me, I wont need the highest brightness for more than a minute at a time.
Of all the Peak QTCs I've used, Eiger, El Cap, and Logan, this light exhibits the smoothest ramp.
The beam is a joy to behold with a barely noticeable hotspot much like an Eiger narrow.
I think the Volcan is more of a thrower but this little gem is a beautiful flood and can really light up a room.
What amazes me is how easy the low will turn on with no fiddling at all making me confident of not destroying my night vision when I need it.
IMO this and the 17500 Logan with tubes are the apex of Peak QTCs.
Thank you Bob for your help in finalizing my selection.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for making my weekend that much longer, lol. I NEED IT NOW!!!! :)

How long were you able to keep the light on max output before it got too hot?

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
I ran it on high for 2 minutes, all I think I'd ever need, and the light was warm but not nearly as hot as an ITP A2 after 1 minute on a 14500.
btw, Mine is brass.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing! With the HA version I hope to possibly see 4~5 min. runtime on high. That would be more than enough for me.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or did interest in the Vesuvius completely drop off? It seems ever since the light was released, chatter about the light has dropped to zero.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm really excited to receive mine on Monday.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most folks are just waiting for the reviews to begin coming in. I hope you're planning on posting some beam shots :).