Pen style flashlight

ama230

Enlightened
Barrie had suggested the 2aaa penlight: Its a great values and is 15lumens for sure and has a nice clicky.

Then for another suggestion there is the ICON SOLO. It takes 2aaa's and has the best craftsmanship for a $20 light. It has two modes that are selected by just half pressing the button and when you find a mode you like, you fully click it. It is a solid 20lumens and has a low mode and lasts 3 days when on.

here is a pic: Also to the mod, this is a 600x600 pic
icsl102a.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking for a nice skinny pen style flashlight and I have not come across any I like yet? What suggestions do you have on them!!

I, too, am impressed with the 2AAA Streamlight Stylus Pro. The forward clicky/momentary switch makes using this light a pleasure.

New 2AAA penlights have become available since this thread began 18 months ago. Lately, I have been EDCing a Fenix LD05. It is longer and heavier, but provides 3 brightness levels.

The 2AAA Inova Bolt isn't nearly as thin and lacks a pocket clip so it might not meet your selection criteria.

penlights2.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I originally had an L0D Q4 head on the Stylus Pro but wanted a lower low, which led me to the Preon. It is a straight swap, except there's about a 3/16" gap between the head and the body, exposing the threads, which I covered with 3 O-rings. When the original clip bent, SL customer service sent me 3 replacement clips, which are all much stronger than the stock clip.

I appreciate the response. Thanks. :)

shark_za

Enlightened
I have quite a few 1xAAA lights and never really thought the 2xAAA format would appeal to me till I got the Preon 2.

Now I'm getting the Stylus Pro to complement the Microstream I have.

Simple goes a long long way in utility lights.
Long runtime and easy to find size works in a lot of scenarios.

The 1xAAA's seem to get lost while the more substantial yet super slim 2xAAA can be located quite easily.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also love my Stylus Pro, which is one of my 2 main EDC lights. However, I modded it by installing a Preon head, a beefier replacement clip from SL customer service, and O-rings for extra grip. It's such a delight to use!

Driving home after work on a part of the highway with a wooded area, I stuck the light outside the window out of curiosity and was illuminating the grass and trees on the other side of the road with it. This is a 4 lane highway with a grassy median too. I was damn impressed w/ it. :D

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
This is a real nice light Ive been meaning to order, 2xAA, 160 Lumens OTF, WOW. Highly reviewed.

Preon 2, Titanium "Black Edition" 49 USD from 4Sevens
LED: CREE XP-G R5
Max Output: 160 Out-the-front (OTF) lumens
Material: Type-III Hard-Anodized Aircraft-grade Aluminum
Lens: Optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating on both sides
Battery: Two AAA, included (see voltage range to select acceptable batteries for this light)
Operating Voltage Range: 0.9V-3.0V
Seven Output Modes:
Low: 2.2 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 22 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 160 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours
Strobe
SOS
Beacon (Hi)
Beacon (Lo)
Dimensions:
Length: 5.05 inches
Diameter: 0.55 inches
Weight: 0.88 ounces

Wilmette

Newly Enlightened
This is a real nice light Ive been meaning to order, 2xAAA, 160 Lumens OTF, WOW. Highly reviewed.

Preon 2, Titanium "Black Edition" 49 USD from 4Sevens [snip]

Echo the "wow." I bought one in warm white, I've had it for a month now in EDC mode (or ENC mode...Every Night Carry?) and I'm impressed by it in every aspect except the reverse clicky. I am eyeballing Mr. Shawn's mod detailed above (thank you Mr. Shawn) and making plans. :wave:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Preon II is worth getting.

But I recommend getting a Preon Kit so that you can mix & match bodies and tailcaps to find what works best for you. Mine is set up as a Preon II but with a Preon I tailcap. I find that combination works best for me. Turns the light into a twist-only model. (Some would say, not a true penlight in that case.) But you can still switch it on with one hand, with a little practice. And you can carry it in a back-pocket without fear of accidentally switching it on.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
I appreciate the response. Thanks. :)

My pleasure, Monocrom. I've learned so much from you via reading many of your posts. :thumbsup:

Driving home after work on a part of the highway with a wooded area, I stuck the light outside the window out of curiosity and was illuminating the grass and trees on the other side of the road with it. This is a 4 lane highway with a grassy median too. I was damn impressed w/ it. :D

Excellent, Lit Up! Pleased to hear it's dazzling you.

I am eyeballing Mr. Shawn's mod detailed above (thank you Mr. Shawn) and making plans. :wave:

You're welcome, Wilmette!

Kraid

Enlightened
Thank you, Kraid! The SL body feels more comfortable and robust, and I definitely prefer its forward clicky to the reverse clicky of the Preon. Plus, the replacement clip from SL is much beefier and grips my pockets tighter. I love it! Now it's time to build the other color mods! :D

Interesting! I might pick one of these up some time and try that out!