Perceptions of what is too big for EDC

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Was looking up data on my TK20, and posts from 2008 complain that it is too big for EDC !!!

This is a 2 AA size light, about 6 1/4" long. So pretty much the standard EDC size, today.

kj2

Flashaholic
For me an 2x AA light would also be too big to EDC. Some may like the size, but think most users would prefer a 1x AA/CR/18650 size light.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear Carpenter jeans most days and if a light can fit into the pocket for a carpenters rule on the side it is perfect for EDC for me.

So lately it has been the HDS AA Rotary or Convoy S2+ while I still ALWAYS have an SC52w clipped to a pocket and the S1 in the 5th pocket too.

Obviously YMMV depending on your own needs.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I don't see EDC as a single cut and dry form factor.

With jeans, I prefer a single 14500/AA size like the Manker E11, deep pocket carry.

With dress slacks, I prefer a 10440/AAA like the Tool to be more discreet in deep pocket.

When in the outdoors I wear loser clothing, so a single 18650 light like the S2+ works.

But if I'm at say a concert or somewhere I'll be sitting a lot at, I prefer a 16340/123 light with pocket clip like the S1R so it's easy to get to without having to dig deep in pocket.

So the whole one light, one form factor every single day... I don't get. It'd be like having one pair of shoes for all purposes.

Bow, all of that said, 2xAA at 6" long wouldn't fit in a front pocket as well as the AA/AA/123 lights... so it wouldn't be a size I'd carry much.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good old tk20 has many qualitys. But still too big for edc..
I think the key is the word "edc". For some it means something you use every day. For others, it means something you wont leave home without. I use a 18650headlamp every day at work. But i dont consider it to be my edc. When i leave work, i leave the headlamp. For me, a edc item have to be something i wont leave home without. Like the cooyoo quantum on my keychain. Or my phone with creditcards etc.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Pocket edc, perfect form vs runtimes: armytek wiz pro series, any olight s2 rendition. Not alot of bulk for a buttload of lumens and runtime. Also, 2x aa linear lights. My fave is the sf e2laa

Now, jacket carry, any 2 cell p60 UP TO a blf x6. Or 2xaa light.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC just means Every Day Carry, if you are comfortable carrying a 4 cell soda can light as an EDC, good for you. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
For me max length for an edc when clipped to my pocket when im wearing jeans is 6 inches and max width of the head is 1.5 inches

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Length is less of a concern for me. Diameter is the biggest limiting factor for EDC. I carry a 18650 in jeans and cargo shorts. I carry a 2xAAA in my work slacks. I could carry a 2xAA instead of the 18650, but it's smaller and has more juice than 2 AA's.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to edc large lights.

I have used diameter as the upper determinant, and length, and weight. For a while now, I simply edc my current fav. The bigger, the better; as well as a smallie in addition.

I edced the Meteor M43 XPLvn day and night for six months; that is how long it was the primary love of my life. Acebeam EC50vn has been my current daytime edc for a while now. When it arrives in a few days, the P60vn quad XHP35 16 volt, 4*18350 body will replace the EC50. I also edc the S2 Baton, for two edc lights.

Nighttime walks: Acebeam X65vn or the TK75vnQ70, as well as the S2 Baton.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC [Acebeam K60] goes in my truck bag [Maxpedition MPB], not my pocket.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1483231402.098590.jpg

My idea of EDc. Larger is ok too but bit more noticeable on the belt.

ncgrass

Enlightened
I like the diameter idea too. Since I always have my backpack with new I do have options. At work I always have a microstream in my pocket but my single CR123 in my bag plus 2 spare batteries for it. I don't have it in my pocket all the time due to the non deep carry clip. However, when outside I have no problem putting it or an elzetta bravo in a jacket pocket.

I like a streamlined, not-too-noticable edc so depending on situation I just take an extra out of my bag. I've tried bigger lights, but have found the microstream to be capable of 75% of my tasks. Besides, one of my jobs has no lights, and the other has crappy rayovacs with a horrible beam pattern... I just can't use em!

tops2

Enlightened
Not counting the Nitecore Tube, I like pocket EDC my Olight S1 in general. If I feel like it, the S1 is okay in gym shorts as well. But when wearing work pants or my weekend pants, I've taken to pocket EDC my Zebralight H600Fd. I did just received a new Zebralight SC62w and I can see this replacing my H600Fd for EDC.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
My perception of what is too big for EDC is likely anything that would be to strenuous to physically carry. However, as society deems one who walks around with something like a K60 strapped to their back as odd, strange, freakish, weird, outlandish,.... I don't do that, and have developed a refined sense of what is acceptable size for EDC.

So, with the whole "biggest I can carry" model completely ruled out, as I want to continue to "fit in" with society, I'm still left with several choices and often pondering the notion of just where does society draw the line for carrying around a big flashlight? After all, if my jacket is bulging and anyone asks what I have there, I will be forced to reveal that I carry around a giant flashlight. Thus the notion of simply shoving the K60 into my inner jacket pocket is then additionally wiped out.

Most popcan size lights tend to fall under this same logic. However, producing a popcan size light doesn't quite induce the same reaction of shock and disbelief as does the K60. It still is easily fair game to be deemed "quite odd" though. This brings me to single 26650 size lights. PERFECTION! This winter finds me at the movies, going to parties, walking in the park, helping out friends and family, all the while, little be-known to my social spheres and at a moments notice, I could spring forth with a mind numbing 2,000 lumens 600 meters throw Acebeam EC60.

Summertime prolly 1X 16340 is cool.