Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Push handles on pull door and vice versa.

Pretentious synonyms like "utilize" vs "use".

People who have to have their say on every subject in a meeting even if they have nothing significant to contribute. Even more so if they're calling in because they can't bother to be there in person.

Those are the biggies.

--flatline

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Perfect thread right now for me lol.

- People who think it is ok to snort the snot into the back of their throat around other people (freaking ew)

- People who don't hold doors open when someone is directly behind them

- People who don't thank me for holding a door open. Last month I held a door for a 60 year old woman at Jimmy Johns, even stood aside as she walked in...nothing, she didn't even look at me so I called her on it out loud.

- Old people driving (if you want to call it that) in parking lots almost hitting me *daily occurrence*

- Idiots on crotch-rockets with a death wish

- People who sigh constantly for no apparent reason (I have a desk job and it gets old really fast)

- Women yelling in ghetto-talk very loud on their cell phones in public

- 90% of toilet paper in malls/stores. Extremely thin, rough and only like 3 inches wide. SPEND THE TINY BIT EXTRA AND GET NORMAL TP!

Feels good to get that little bit out :laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
- People who sigh constantly for no apparent reason (I have a desk job and it gets old really fast)

You are going to hate me if I was your neighbor:shrug:

- 90% of toilet paper in malls/stores. Extremely thin, rough and only like 3 inches wide. SPEND THE TINY BIT EXTRA AND GET NORMAL TP!

You should see what we have to work with on campus, aluminum foil could have been softer :rant:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
- People who don't thank me for holding a door open. Last month I held a door for a 60 year old woman at Jimmy Johns, even stood aside as she walked in...nothing, she didn't even look at me so I called her on it out loud.

I got one better.

I held the door for these two "ladies", who were right behind me. They accepted the courtesy by walking through and then turned around and cursed me out. Now if they cursed me out first, I could have had the satisfaction of slamming the door in their faces.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I got one better.

I held the door for these two "ladies", who were right behind me. They accepted the courtesy by walking through and then turned around and cursed me out. Now if they cursed me out first, I could have had the satisfaction of slamming the door in their faces.

:wtf: Why in the world did they cuss you out (after accepting the favor)?!!

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they saw the camera on the floor pointed up? :naughty:

I seriously just have zero tolerance for rude people. Someone asks you to get/do something for them, they should say "please". And when you get/do whatever it is for them, they should say "thank you". It's about the simplest thing in terms of common courtesy, and many people can't even seem to get that part right.

I guess what I'm saying is my #1 pet peeve is rudeness, lol.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my recent favorite pet Peeve: People who think it's ok to have their dog outside without a leash with no fence in a busy neighborhood when it charges every person and animal that walks by.

I frequently house-sit for a relative, and give their australian shephard a couple walks a day in their rather affluent suburban neighborhood. I'd say no less that four times within a block I have to pull up their poor dogs leash because somebody's terrier or fat cocker spaniel comes charging out of the garage foaming at the mouth. The owner is usually washing their car, or often sitting inside.

Sometimes the 'attack dog' stops short at their property line. The other half charge in and jump my dog who's not exactly a protective species. The owner then comes out and calls me names under their breath for not going to the other side of the street. Hey, I'm on the sidewalk and not breaking the law.

If it weren't for that fact I'm an animal lover I'd borrow my cop buddy's 130lb Akita and make sure I'm 3feet in the street when 'lucifer' takes care of the problem

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When you're looking at a website and you click on a "click to enlarge" picture to ge a closer look, and the new picture pops up and... it's the same size or maybe 1 or 2 pixels bigger. What's the point other than to pi$$ off your viewers and send them elsewhere?

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
When you're looking at a website and you click on a "click to enlarge" picture to ge a closer look, and the new picture pops up and... it's the same size or maybe 1 or 2 pixels bigger. What's the point other than to pi$$ off your viewers and send them elsewhere?

plus-one-2.gif

UniqueBaron

Newly Enlightened
-People you pull out infront of you and then drive 5 mph under the speed limit.
-People who park way to close in a parking lot to even open my door to get in.
-Bicyclers that ride 2 or 3 wide and take up the whole lane.

Imon

Enlightened
I know this is a bizarre pet peeve that only I probably have but I hate movies in which they speak English but it's supposed to be set in a country that doesn't speak English so they use an accent to make up for it.
Example: Every WWII movie where the Nazis speak English but in a German accent.... DRIVES ME NUTS. I'd rather just read subtitles.
Sometimes I amuse myself with thoughts that somewhere there's a movie in which German actors portray Americans but speak German in an "American" accent.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
+1 on that. Same situation with joggers.

You know, you are in a motor vehicle. Could you not spare 10 seconds to slowly pass them or cyclists on the road? I mean you can control your speed faster then them.

I drive and also ride tho I ride more then I drive by choice so I see both sides. I'm always like what's the rush for if you're driving a car. Could you not have gotten out more earlier think of possible traffic conditions?

Which leads me to my peeve of people always leaving late min or not factoring in extra time for unforseen or buffer time to get to places early. I mean for those that are in area that snow we're all reminded once a year and whenever a big snow storm comes to get out early because of the snow so you can drive slowly and safely to your destination. I've been a passenger to some people driving and they're late and suddenly it's everyone elses fault on the road that is causing them to be late when they didn't leave earlier so that they can get some where earlier or have buffer time should they run into a traffic jam/slowdown/etc.

:scowl:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You know, you are in a motor vehicle. Could you not spare 10 seconds to slowly pass them or cyclists on the road? I mean you can control your speed faster then them.

I do. I drive as far away as I can from them, but I cannot shrink the width of my car in order to pass them in a diminished space. On the other hand, they can reduce the amount of road they take up by jogging in single file, not three or four across.

At least for those 10 seconds.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I totally do not understand why cyclists ride abreast inside of single file. Besides hogging road space, you lose out on the aerodynamic advantage of drafting the cyclist in front of you when you ride side-by-side.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm convinced they do it so they can Chat & Yak with each other.

:shakehead
_

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who make a comment without a preamble as to what they are talking about.

"can you help me find IT"

WTF is IT?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who make a comment without a preamble as to what they are talking about.

"can you help me find IT"

WTF is IT?

This is one of the few things that REALLY ANNOY ME. Bicyclists riding on the road are another.

Wife's friend, whom I haven't seen or spoken to in a week: Did you remember that?
Me: Remember what?
WF: The thing?
Me: Everything is a "that" and everything is a "thing", by saying "that" and "thing" you have narrowed down what I'm supposed to remember to everything in the universe. Please be more specific.
WF: The cupcakes!
Me: You should have said "cupcakes" in the beginning. We both spoke for several extra seconds because you tried to save yourself from saying one extra syllable. You do this EVERY TIME WE SPEAK. A few seconds wasted once is no big deal, a few seconds wasted twice or three times a week for years on end adds up to months of life wasted. Yes, I remembered the cupcakes.

If that was her biggest foible I'd be stupid to care, but it's one of the most minor. She's my wife's friend, not mine, and when she visits I find that I have important business to tend to out in my shop.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Got another one that I was reminded of the other day. This has to do with the behavior of people standing in line, usually at a fast food restaurant.

There are people who will sort-of get into line. By this I mean people who will stand several feet away from the person in front of them, maybe standing off to the side a little bit, but they still want to hold their place in the line (even when they're not technically in the line). It's as if they want to stake their place in line but they don't want to look like they're standing in it.

This is mostly a guy thing; I almost never see a woman doing this. I truly don't get it. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.